Other T2D's or those who've had GDM (diabetes & diet)

Options
Wondering if any other T2D's who've lost substantial weight still see signs of insulin resistance/glucose intolerance? I had GDM with my first/only pregancy 2 years ago. Using MFP and nutritional guidelines from my Endochronologist, and as strict moderate exercise program, while breastfeeding for a year I was able to lose 48 lbs. During the period of diet/exercise/breastfeeding change my A1c was a perfect 4.9 w/ FBG of 82. I'll admit my diet has been more relaxed (although it's no where near my preGDM diagnosis diet and I still include daily walking), I was still somewhat shocked & sad to see that a year later it's up to 5.4 with a FBG of 90. While these are considered "normal" by ADA recommendations I had thought or hoped with my maintained weight loss and exercise that I'd surely have kept my numbers a bit lower.

Anyone else lose the weight reocmmended by their Diabetes program, but still have concerning readings? Disappointment that the weight came off, but the D didn't just go away and stay away? I know T2D is a progressive disease, but I'm still young and felt like I was working reasonably hard to control my risk factors (I guess I just wish it had paid off more). Just would like to talk to anyone other than my very NON-D husband or a doctor who lives with this personally.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I’m type 2. After 125 lb weight loss my a1c has stayed normal with diet and exercise but I definitely still have insulin resistance- if I overeat carbs my glucose shoots right up as if I never lost weight.

I read recently that gestational diabetes increases the risk of type 2 later in life.
  • stareeeyed1
    stareeeyed1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    rheddmobile - thank you for your response. It does there is a greater than 50% chance of developing type 2 D after an index pregnancy with gestational diabetes usually w/in 10 years of that pregnancy. That is of course if you didn't already happen to have undiagnosed PreD or undiagnosed full blown diabetes before your pregnancy. It's a scary statistic. I had no immediate family history, but both my weight/age were risk factors. Hence continuing with the dietary advice/exercise routine post baby until recently.

Out of curiosity, do you use medications or are you strictly diet/ exercise controled?
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I can’t comment regarding weight loss because I’m only 3 months post partum but I had GDM which was well controlled with diet (high in carbs too). My numbers are now normal. Diabetes does not run in my family either but my age and weight were risk factors. Also, I know many people who had GDM when pregnant at an older age who did not go on to develop diabetes later.

As a medical professional, let me say that your numbers are not *concerning* at all. Everyone has their own goals though, so ask your doctor if you are worried. Congrats on the amazing weight loss!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,735 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a good T2D group on MFP.
    Come join us!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

• stareeeyed1
    stareeeyed1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Margaret - thank you! I didn't see the Diabetes forum here or I would have just started right there.

Nooshi713 - I was diet controlled, but struggled with fasting glucose in the week before my son was born (he came 6.5 weeks early). We had discussed night time insulin, put the order in and 3 days later he came from spontaneous preterm labor. I never had a lot of trouble with my meals as long as I did the exercise & ate realistically. I did only gain 12 lbs total, and in fact found after he was born that I had lost some of my own weight (10 lbs).

My general practioner is not concerned at those levels either in fact she said in a Tony the Tiger voice "You're doing gerrrrate!". When I pointed out that those #'s were higher than when I was diagnosed pregnant (and the entire time I was pregnant with GD, and pretty significantly higher than my #'s in the year post baby during my weight loss, she offered me a glucose tolerance test stating "some times A1c misses early cases". I haven't retaken the tolerance test yet as we are trying to determine if insurance will cover it while not pregnant. I guess that will be the real indicator.

I was lead to believe from reading that truly normal A1c's stay below 5.3 and the that as fasting goes over 83 your risks of developing diabetes also rise again. I know my #'s are not far off from there and there is some room for deviation, no test is perfect. Do you continue to follow dietary restrictions/exercise?
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Margaret - thank you! I didn't see the Diabetes forum here or I would have just started right there.

Nooshi713 - I was diet controlled, but struggled with fasting glucose in the week before my son was born (he came 6.5 weeks early). We had discussed night time insulin, put the order in and 3 days later he came from spontaneous preterm labor. I never had a lot of trouble with my meals as long as I did the exercise & ate realistically. I did only gain 12 lbs total, and in fact found after he was born that I had lost some of my own weight (10 lbs).

My general practioner is not concerned at those levels either in fact she said in a Tony the Tiger voice "You're doing gerrrrate!". When I pointed out that those #'s were higher than when I was diagnosed pregnant (and the entire time I was pregnant with GD, and pretty significantly higher than my #'s in the year post baby during my weight loss, she offered me a glucose tolerance test stating "some times A1c misses early cases". I haven't retaken the tolerance test yet as we are trying to determine if insurance will cover it while not pregnant. I guess that will be the real indicator.

I was lead to believe from reading that truly normal A1c's stay below 5.3 and the that as fasting goes over 83 your risks of developing diabetes also rise again. I know my #'s are not far off from there and there is some room for deviation, no test is perfect. Do you continue to follow dietary restrictions/exercise?

No because I’m a mostly plant based eater so I always eat more carbs than recommended. Fasting glucose of 83?? That’s a bit unrealistic for most. I wouldn’t worry about it, especially if your doctor isn’t.