Calorries count

Options
ovalver1
ovalver1 Posts: 16 Member
Hello Everyone.

My name is Otto and I Am new on this topic and I will request your help,

so my target is 1710 calories and I have vinculate my polar watch with the application and I have a lot of questions,

if I have 1710 calories to burn and at the end of the day
I have 500 or 100 available that's mean that I can spend that calorie or I can save them?

my other question is if I use 1500 as the app request but I have 100 calories available but I use more nutrients than my goal says that I use more nutrients but I am still on the calories target in green is that affect me o loss with?

for example

GOAL

FOOD
-
EXERCISE
=
NET

Calories 1710
Carbohydrates 214 g 50 % today 37%
Fat 57 g 30 % 39%
Protein 86 g 20 % 24%

So in my resume, if I'm out of the target with my nutrients but I'm still on target with my calories is that affect my objectives and my goals

Thanks for the help I will appreciate it bc I'm a lot confused

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,435 Member
    Options
    Calories are the thing that directly determine body fat levels. For weight management, pay attention to calories.

You're supposed to eat your base calorie goal, plus a reasonable estimate of exercise calories. A fitness tracker is a reasonable estimate for most people. Yes, you can save some of the extra calories, eat them in a day or two or on the weekend, as long as the shifts aren't so big that you don't have enough energy, or don't feel full on lighter days, or something. Your body doesn't reset at midnight, so it's average of calories over time that matters.

Nutrients are about nutrition, feeling full, health, body composition, energy level, and that sort of thing. So, they're important, even though they don't directly affect bodyweight. (Nutrients can *indirectly* affect bodyweight by causing reduced energy so we don't move as much, or by triggering cravings so we can't stick to calorie goal - that sort of thing, but indirect.)

Getting reasonably close to nutrient goals on average, over a few days, is fine. It's fine to be a little over on protein one day, a little over on fat another day, no big pattern of being always way under fats or protein (both of which are "essential nutrients" in that our body can't manufacture them out of anything else).

I hope that helps.
  • ovalver1
    edited November 2021
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Calories are the thing that directly determine body fat levels. For weight management, pay attention to calories.

You're supposed to eat your base calorie goal, plus a reasonable estimate of exercise calories. A fitness tracker is a reasonable estimate for most people. Yes, you can save some of the extra calories, eat them in a day or two or on the weekend, as long as the shifts aren't so big that you don't have enough energy, or don't feel full on lighter days, or something. Your body doesn't reset at midnight, so it's average of calories over time that matters.

Nutrients are about nutrition, feeling full, health, body composition, energy level, and that sort of thing. So, they're important, even though they don't directly affect bodyweight. (Nutrients can *indirectly* affect bodyweight by causing reduced energy so we don't move as much, or by triggering cravings so we can't stick to calorie goal - that sort of thing, but indirect.)

Getting reasonably close to nutrient goals on average, over a few days, is fine. It's fine to be a little over on protein one day, a little over on fat another day, no big pattern of being always way under fats or protein (both of which are "essential nutrients" in that our body can't manufacture them out of anything else).

I hope that helps.

I hope that helps.

Thank you very much for the explication so , I another words I should focus in my calories target right. More than nutrients ??

• AnnPT77
    Options
    ovalver1 wrote: »

I hope that helps.

I hope that helps.

Thank you very much for the explication so , I another words I should focus in my calories target right. More than nutrients ??

If your goal is about body fat, yes. Body fat is the part of body weight most of us care about. Calories determine body fat storage or loss, so calories determine long-term average body weight gain/loss.

Nutrition is important for health, and can affect how full you feel, how energetic you feel, how healthy you are, and more. It's important, too.
  • ovalver1
    edited November 2021
    Options

I hope that helps.

I hope that helps.

If your goal is about body fat, yes. Body fat is the part of body weight most of us care about. Calories determine body fat storage or loss, so calories determine long-term average body weight gain/loss.

Nutrition is important for health, and can affect how full you feel, how energetic you feel, how healthy you are, and more. It's important, too.

Thank you a lot , my last question for you. This si so clearly thank. You

It’s good. To vincúlate my polar watch to the applications ? I hear ppl don’t recommend to vincúlate any watch to the app so I’m not sure about that ? Yo follow the adjustment calories with The watch or just follow what my objective is
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I hope that helps.

I hope that helps.

It’s good. To vincúlate my polar watch to the applications ? I hear ppl don’t recommend to vincúlate any watch to the app so I’m not sure about that ? Yo follow the adjustment calories with The watch or just follow what my objective is

A good fitness watch will be fairly close on all-day calories for the majority of people . . . specifically, for the people who are close to statistically average, which most people are by definition.

If someone is non-average in some way(s) - ways that may not be obvious - then the same fitness watch that works well for most will work less well for those non-average people. It can be high or low. For a few really *rare* people, it can be very significantly inaccurate, still high or low.

Because they're close for most people, my opinion is that it would be useful to synch it for 4-6 weeks - or at least log and pay attention to how its numbers compare to eating/weight loss results for that amount of time. (Synching it seems easier, frankly. You can un-synch it later, if necessary.)

After that 4-6 weeks, look at how much weight you've lost, and how much you'd expect to lose based on your actual calorie intake. That will tell you if your watch is accurate for you, and if not, about how far off it is, and whether it's high or low. You can then decide how to adjust.

Don't use a short time span to judge. Use many weeks. In a short time, weight loss looks non-linear, mostly because of changes in water retention.
  • ovalver1
    Options

I hope that helps.

I hope that helps.

A good fitness watch will be fairly close on all-day calories for the majority of people . . . specifically, for the people who are close to statistically average, which most people are by definition.

If someone is non-average in some way(s) - ways that may not be obvious - then the same fitness watch that works well for most will work less well for those non-average people. It can be high or low. For a few really *rare* people, it can be very significantly inaccurate, still high or low.

Because they're close for most people, my opinion is that it would be useful to synch it for 4-6 weeks - or at least log and pay attention to how its numbers compare to eating/weight loss results for that amount of time. (Synching it seems easier, frankly. You can un-synch it later, if necessary.)

After that 4-6 weeks, look at how much weight you've lost, and how much you'd expect to lose based on your actual calorie intake. That will tell you if your watch is accurate for you, and if not, about how far off it is, and whether it's high or low. You can then decide how to adjust.

Don't use a short time span to judge. Use many weeks. In a short time, weight loss looks non-linear, mostly because of changes in water retention.

Thank you a lot ,, normally I training more than 90m a day and I noticed there is an adjustment between MyFitnessPal aplicación with my polar V2 in term with calories so reading what you say it’s normal every day that I trying to see the adjustment Between both my polar and MyFitnessPal application?
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I hope that helps.

I hope that helps.

Thank you a lot ,, normally I training more than 90m a day and I noticed there is an adjustment between MyFitnessPal aplicación with my polar V2 in term with calories so reading what you say it’s normal every day that I trying to see the adjustment Between both my polar and MyFitnessPal application?

With apologies, I don't know much about the Polar integration with MFP. As a generality, if you set your MFP profile with a weight loss target (like "lose 0.5kg a week" or something), and synch a fitness tracker, and enable negative adjustments, you would eat the number of calories MFP says to eat, including the effect of the adjustments. That would keep the weight loss rate you asked for, if you're a statistically average person.

Different people do slightly different things in practice, perhaps because of what they've learned from following the results for a while . . . but that will vary by individual.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,175 Member
    Options

I hope that helps.

I hope that helps.

With apologies, I don't know much about the Polar integration with MFP. As a generality, if you set your MFP profile with a weight loss target (like "lose 0.5kg a week" or something), and synch a fitness tracker, and enable negative adjustments, you would eat the number of calories MFP says to eat, including the effect of the adjustments. That would keep the weight loss rate you asked for, if you're a statistically average person.

Different people do slightly different things in practice, perhaps because of what they've learned from following the results for a while . . . but that will vary by individual.

I can only confirm this advice.
    I used to have a Polar device synced, now a Garmin, same logic in the syncing.
    Try it out for 4 to 6 weeks and your results will tell you if it's accurate for you.
  • ovalver1
    Options

I hope that helps.

I hope that helps.

I hope that helps.

I hope that helps.

Thank you very much for all the explication this es very new for me and also it’s so hard to learn lol but thank you yiu it’s more clearly !!

Thank you very much I will try using my polar. And see what will happen I’m the future. But now I’m more clear thanks a lot
  • ovalver1
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

I hope that helps.

I hope that helps.

I can only confirm this advice.
    I used to have a Polar device synced, now a Garmin, same logic in the syncing.
    Try it out for 4 to 6 weeks and your results will tell you if it's accurate for you.

Ty for the advise I will try to see the results with my polar and MyFitnessPal aplicación synced and see how is going the results this is new for me so I’m still learn a lot. But thanks !!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Best wishes! Maybe come back to this thread after the 4-6 weeks, let us know how it's going with you? Wishing you great results!
  • ovalver1
    Options
    Best wishes! Maybe come back to this thread after the 4-6 weeks, let us know how it's going with you? Wishing you great results!

Thank you a lot for your time

Lol just one more quick questions

What are the neutral negative calories are they good or bad ?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,175 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by neutral negative calories. Do you mean the setting that disables or enables negative calories?
    I have that setting enabled - it subtracts calories from your goal when you are less active than the activity level you chose on MFP.
  • ovalver1
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean by neutral negative calories. Do you mean the setting that disables or enables negative calories?
    I have that setting enabled - it subtracts calories from your goal when you are less active than the activity level you chose on MFP.

Hey thanks for the clarification this what o mean jf9xaosetawl.jpeg

• ovalver1
    Options
    1su67xkf9hrl.jpeg

This is from today and the other one is from yesterday
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Let me go back to basics, before answering:

I believe the "cantidad total" is the calories you logged in your food diary, from everything you ate. The "objectivo" (cut off in the screen shot, but I think that's the word) is your calorie goal in MFP.

MFP sets your calorie goal based on your life activity before intentional exercise, things like your job. That goal includes the weight loss rate you asked for (lose 0.5 kg a week, or whatever). If you ate that, did no exercise at all, MFP expects you'd lose that weight weekly, on average over multiple weeks, assuming you're an average sort of person (as most of us are).

When you exercise, the exercise calories are added to your eating goal. If all the estimates are good, and you eat those calories, you'll lose weight at the rate you requested, but you get to eat more. That's nice. It's also a healthy approach.

OK, in that context: The "netas" should be the total number of calories you ate, minus the number of exercise calories that were logged (by your fitness tracker, in your case). You really want your "netas" to average out close to your "objectivo", over a few days or so. That will keep your expected weight loss at the rate you asked for in your profile.

If the "netas" are a large negative number, or even a positive number that's a large amount less than your "objectivo", you're under-eating. That's not healthful, if done repeatedly.

If the "netas" are a much larger number than your "objectivo", you're over-eating compared to your weight loss goals, and are likely to either loss weight slower than your target rate, or (if it's a big amount larger) not to lose weight at all, even gain.

I'm still not sure what you exactly meant by "neutral negative calories" - that is not a phrase we would use in colloquial English. (That's not a criticism: Your English is fine, really good. That phrase is just an unusual way of expressing the thought, so I'm a little confused by it.)

But I do want to help, if I can. I hope the explanation above helps. You want "netas" and "objectivo" to be close to each other, either a bit over or under, most of your days. One *rare* day that's different is probably not a big problem.

FYI, in English language MFP:

Cantidad total de calorias = Total calories
    Calorias netas = Net calories
    Objectivo = Goal

We would call the -361 in your first screen shot "negative net calories".

Best wishes!
  • ovalver1
    Options

I believe the "cantidad total" is the calories you logged in your food diary, from everything you ate. The "objectivo" (cut off in the screen shot, but I think that's the word) is your calorie goal in MFP.

MFP sets your calorie goal based on your life activity before intentional exercise, things like your job. That goal includes the weight loss rate you asked for (lose 0.5 kg a week, or whatever). If you ate that, did no exercise at all, MFP expects you'd lose that weight weekly, on average over multiple weeks, assuming you're an average sort of person (as most of us are).

When you exercise, the exercise calories are added to your eating goal. If all the estimates are good, and you eat those calories, you'll lose weight at the rate you requested, but you get to eat more. That's nice. It's also a healthy approach.

OK, in that context: The "netas" should be the total number of calories you ate, minus the number of exercise calories that were logged (by your fitness tracker, in your case). You really want your "netas" to average out close to your "objectivo", over a few days or so. That will keep your expected weight loss at the rate you asked for in your profile.

If the "netas" are a large negative number, or even a positive number that's a large amount less than your "objectivo", you're under-eating. That's not healthful, if done repeatedly.

If the "netas" are a much larger number than your "objectivo", you're over-eating compared to your weight loss goals, and are likely to either loss weight slower than your target rate, or (if it's a big amount larger) not to lose weight at all, even gain.

I'm still not sure what you exactly meant by "neutral negative calories" - that is not a phrase we would use in colloquial English. (That's not a criticism: Your English is fine, really good. That phrase is just an unusual way of expressing the thought, so I'm a little confused by it.)

But I do want to help, if I can. I hope the explanation above helps. You want "netas" and "objectivo" to be close to each other, either a bit over or under, most of your days. One *rare* day that's different is probably not a big problem.

Objectivo = Goal

Best wishes!

Thank you a lot I’m trying to be clearly ,, I’m more clearly now

So I’m another words if it’s negative my loss weight it comes slow if I keep negative net

But if you keep The net positive the proses will be good and faster
  • ovalver1
    Options
    And thank you I’m from Costa Rica I’m still learning English so I’m trying my best lol
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Objectivo = Goal

Best wishes!

So I’m another words if it’s negative my loss weight it comes slow if I keep negative net

No, that's not how I understand it.

If the net is negative, you will lose weight faster, but you will ruin your health. Or, you may not be able to continue, because it's too hard. If the net is negative you are not eating enough.

Try to make the neta be a number close to your objectivo. That is the way to lose weight successfully and stay healthy at the same time.
  • ovalver1
    Options

Objectivo = Goal

Best wishes!

No, that's not how I understand it.

If the net is negative, you will lose weight faster, but you will ruin your health. Or, you may not be able to continue, because it's too hard. If the net is negative you are not eating enough.

Try to make the neta be a number close to your objectivo. That is the way to lose weight successfully and stay healthy at the same time.

Oh ok gotta so the net is better to make it positive as you say close to my objective in that case

The one that I teach my objective but I got net calories negt it’s because I trying to much and I dint ate enough so that number is always better to have it positive even if I reach my calories target on green I should check that to see If im eating good or bad