60+ and morbidly obese

Options
I love MFP, I've been a member for a long, long time...on and off. Whenever I use it to track, I lose weight. But don't know why I stop. Maybe because I have a binge day and get depressed. I don't know, but this time I think I'll pay attention and see if I can pin it down.

I gained even more weight this last year from working at home and now retirement. I weighed 352 pounds last week. That's the most I ever weighed, and the reality sunk in that I'm not 100-some pounds overweight, but 200 pounds overweight.

I know there are older folk like me here that need to loose weight, but anybody who needs to loose a LOT? I never see any, are you out there but hiding?

I'd love to "friend' people who are in my boat, that is, a lot of weight to lose. You don't need to be 60+, but I know we have a long journey ahead of us and it's really hard to stay on track. Last Thursday I started my journey using MFP and a trial of that other app that starts with an "N". I decided to cancel the "N" because MFP really has everything I need. But what is really important is having other people to commiserate with and also celebrate milestones.

I lost 5 pounds since Thursday and I'm celebrating today! Woo Hoo! Maybe in 2 years or so I will celebrate reaching my goal.

Thanks, y'all!

PS I got a ihealth Bluetooth scale this week and it's so much fun!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest that you check out the Larger Losers group here on MFP?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

It's an active group for people who have/had 75 or more pounds to lose, and includes many very nice, helpful people at all stages of that process.

Another option to meet people might be this long-time thread for 60+ people:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10718336/60-yrs-and-up#latest

Like all long-running threads in the Community, when you open that up, you'll see older posts on the first page, but it's still active: New post are at the end, on higher-numbered pages. That would get you acquainted with a group who are all 60+ (or at least close!), at different stages in the process, who've started with varying sized goals for total weight loss.

There are also lots of threads/groups in the "Challenges" or "Motivation and Support" parts of the Community here. You can read their intro posts in those areas, maybe find one or more that seems to fit your needs.

I'm in your demographic (age 66 now), but not really in your target group - I'm at a different stage. (I'm hanging around here these days to stay at a healthy weight after losing 50+ pounds over 6 years ago using MFP. I'm also a ridiculously sub-par MFP friend, I'm sorry to say - more of a Community forum gal, I guess.)

Wishing you success!