Review - Please review my squat form and advise.

Options
skeo
skeo Posts: 471 Member
Hello Again,
I managed to video myself doing squats, didn't do much, just jumped back in the rack to check form. Please review this video and advise on form, thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Nuvs4qLUE

Edited to add: I have bad knees, the grind pretty bad, but don't hurt. I have torn cartilage and a small meniscus tear in my left knee, so ATG is a bit difficult for me, even 90 degrees at times.

Also as you can see from the video, I think I begin to falter on the last rep, I notice I lean forward more. Working on deloading to help that. But starting form, how does it look?

Replies

• tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You have covered the flaws that I see already. Are you sure you're lack of deepness is a result of knee problems? I find mine is due to a lack of mobility in my hips more so than knees. Ankle flexibility is also a common issue for shallow squats.

The forward lean can be solved by tightening your core and me thinks.

Although it's hard to tell, the bar my be resting a bit too far up as well. I can't be sure but it looks like it's resting on your neck as opposed to your traps, where I find it best to rest.
  • skeo
    Options
    You have covered the flaws that I see already. Are you sure you're lack of deepness is a result of knee problems? I find mine is due to a lack of mobility in my hips more so than knees. Ankle flexibility is also a common issue for shallow squats.

Although it's hard to tell, the bar my be resting a bit too far up as well. I can't be sure but it looks like it's resting on your neck as opposed to your traps, where I find it best to rest.

I think it may be my ankles, I'm knock kneed, and also pigeon toed, lol, so I walk on the outsides of my feet, as you can see from the wear on my soles. Next time; I will take my shoes off for more stability, because I know the lift is probably causing me to lean forward some when I feel like I'm losing balance.

And the bar is resting on the top of my traps, right under my neck. My shirt was just weird. BUT what I did notice is that I kind of hunch forward, I don't know if it's because I have bad posture or what, (first time video) but that's also something I need to work on.

And I am more accustomed to having the bar lower, low bar squats, where the bar is placed towards the bottom of my traps, and rests more on my shoulders, but that's when I noticed I was having lower back issues when squatting.
  • tonynguyen75
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLwiGkywKN4&list=PL3fB03J6Xve_N5GKIBA84QC0UszAlSc-M

Here's another video for squat form. I know someone else posted on in that Deadlift thread. But this is another good video.

Try video taping yourself from the side as well to see bar path.
  • skeo
    Options
    thanks for your input :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Tagging to show up on my feed.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't the hooks/pins be a little lower so you don't tiptoe up when trying to put the bar back?
  • skeo
    Options
    I'm a shortie, lol so it's difficult. I took it down another peg, and felt it was too low; so I brought it back up. To keep true to form, I will bring it back down, some video's I'm watching say that the bar's starting position should be mid chest level, I didn't think it needed to be that low.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You should lower the hooks. Eventually you will be able to squat a weight that you cannot calf raise.

Also you aren't squatting to parallel. Most likely the weight you are using is too heavy for you. I saw the comment about your knee. Partial reps may hurt you down the road. I had to work through knee issues to be able to squat. There was much therapeutic torture. I wouldn't give up.

Point your toes out a bit.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Set the bar height lower (you shouldn't have to get up on your toes to unrack it).
    Depth is too shallow. Crease of the hip should drop below the top of your knees.
    Toes can point out a little more. Go for 30 degrees.
    Consider shoes with non-compressible soles such as chuck taylors.
  • bradlear38
    Options
    Try looking up the whole time through your squat process. You seem to be leaning too far forward which can decrease the amount of bend you're able to achieve throughout your legs because your center of gravity isn't over your feet. You want your head to be upright (eyes looking up) and your chest to be following your eyes (which means pushing your chest out and up with your shoulders back).
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

I think it may be my ankles, I'm knock kneed, and also pigeon toed, lol, so I walk on the outsides of my feet, as you can see from the wear on my soles. Next time; I will take my shoes off for more stability, because I know the lift is probably causing me to lean forward some when I feel like I'm losing balance.

And the bar is resting on the top of my traps, right under my neck. My shirt was just weird. BUT what I did notice is that I kind of hunch forward, I don't know if it's because I have bad posture or what, (first time video) but that's also something I need to work on.

And I am more accustomed to having the bar lower, low bar squats, where the bar is placed towards the bottom of my traps, and rests more on my shoulders, but that's when I noticed I was having lower back issues when squatting.

Not able to watch the video at work but I was just reading this article by Bret Contreras (the glute guy) this morning and it sounds like it covers a few of your issues. It discusses knee valgus (knee collapse) as well as issues with ankle ROM and how to deal with them

Definitely READ THIS. I think you'll find it very helpful

http://bretcontreras.com/knee-valgus-valgus-collapse-glute-medius-strengthening-band-hip-abduction-exercises-and-ankle-dorsiflexion-drills/

Plus he has a whole lot more info on his website
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Try looking up the whole time through your squat process. You seem to be leaning too far forward which can decrease the amount of bend you're able to achieve throughout your legs because your center of gravity isn't over your feet. You want your head to be upright (eyes looking up) and your chest to be following your eyes (which means pushing your chest out and up with your shoulders back).

You could try some box squats to help with the leaning forward issue. They force you to stay more upright
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The hooks/pins SHOULD be lower so you don't tiptoe up when trying to put the bar back!!!!!!!!!!!!

This^^^

form is pretty decent depth is not very good
  • skeo
    Options
    Set the bar height lower (you shouldn't have to get up on your toes to unrack it).
    Depth is too shallow. Crease of the hip should drop below the top of your knees.
    Toes can point out a little more. Go for 30 degrees.
    Consider shoes with non-compressible soles such as chuck taylors.

thanks Taso. Yeah, lowering the bar is a must, and can knee problems effect depth? If I do a wider stance, not sumo, just a bit wider, and still track knees with toes, I should be able to go lower yeah?

Tomorrow or Thursday, I will do a side view to see where my lean is, and if my posture is upright.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't the hooks/pins be a little lower so you don't tiptoe up when trying to put the bar back?

This. Plus next time wear shorts or tights so we can see what going on with your knees. But the main issue with your squat right now is depth. I'm not an ATG supporter, but you really need to get parallel or very close to it. A lot of times its a trust and confidence thing more than any actual physical issue
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You're issue are due to a lack of mobility. As others have stated first and foremost, lower that bar. This article is perfect and my go to when discussing any issues with the squat.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/squat_like_a_champion
  • skeo
    Options
    Not able to watch the video at work but I was just reading this article by Bret Contreras (the glute guy) this morning and it sounds like it covers a few of your issues. It discusses knee valgus (knee collapse) as well as issues with ankle ROM and how to deal with them

Definitely READ THIS. I think you'll find it very helpful

http://bretcontreras.com/knee-valgus-valgus-collapse-glute-medius-strengthening-band-hip-abduction-exercises-and-ankle-dorsiflexion-drills/

Plus he has a whole lot more info on his website

ahh yes, the glute man. Thank you for the link :)
  • tonynguyen75
    Options
    I found widening my stance was a good way to get a bit deeper. I'll be trying these exercises to help with my mobility outside the gym:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNqKn6axcSM
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I found widening my stance was a good way to get a bit deeper. I'll be trying these exercises to help with my mobility outside the gym:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNqKn6axcSM

I had to work on my hamstrings. They are tuned to the key of G.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Here's what I noticed:
    1) You're starting with the bar too high. Set the pegs lower- it is better to be low than high, because you can always lower yourself down to safely pick it up correctly, but you can't get it to the right position if it's too high. Plus, you never want to be at a disadvantage for re-racking at the end of the set.

2) It's a little hard to tell, but it looks like your shoulders/traps are too relaxed at the beginning. Engage your traps by pulling back your shoulders before you pick up the bar, then the bar should sit on your engaged traps.

3) The bar looks a bit high on your neck, I think you will correct it by fixing the above mentioned issues.

4) Ditch the shoes, lower the weight, and sit back in to your squat more, with your butt going out. Then, on the upward movement, drive your hips up. Visualize the pivot point at your hip joint doing most of the work. Keep the weight lower until you can get in to a parallel or lower squat. The shallow squats you're doing are actually harder on the knees than if you were getting full ROM.

I actually think it might be your fear about your knees that's causing you to pull back on the squats before you should. I like the idea of trying some box squats for you with a low box. The purpose being to prove to yourself that your knees can sit in to that position.

ETA: I see pretty much everything I said got covered already, lol. One more thing, pull your thumb out behind the bar, in line with the rest of your fingers. Hooking your thumb around the bar puts tons of unnecessary strain on your wrists, and you don't need to do it when the bar is in the right position .