Review - Please review my squat form and advise.

Options
2»

Replies

• skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your input. I will wear tights next time Dav for better review of the knees. Thanks again everyone for input, only been lifting for about 7 months; so still working on form for a lot of free weight and compound exercises. This site has taught me a lot.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Oh and as welll as helping with the lean forward, box squats will also make sure your are going to paralell
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    2 more cents:

Sorry, I'm only sort of skimming the thread. There seems to be some concern about lean-forward? That shouldn't be a concern. I don't think you're leaning too far forward. When doing a back squat, you WILL naturally lean forward to keep everything in balance. When viewed from the side, the bar will (should) be tracking over the center of your foot. To accomplish this, you must lean forward.

6O6yjPr.jpg?1

As for the depth/mobility issue, what I found helped me was just busting out some body weight squats randomly throughout the day. And this stretch: Do a squat as deep as you can, stick your elbows against the inside of your knees and put your hands together, and shove out your knees with your elbows. Hold for a 10 count or longer. Repeat. Often. You'll get it.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    some things I noticed...

1) Like everyone else said, set the pins lower. I'm short too, 4' 10 1/2". I have no problem setting the pins at the correct level. Cages/racks are meant to be able to do bench presses in them so lower should be no problem.

2) It's hard to tell from the angle, side views are much better, but it looks like you're rounding your upper back/shoulders when starting out. Try pushing your chest out to avoid this.

3) I know you have knee problems, but try to at least go paralel. You're almost there. I'm not sure if it's because you're not going paralel, but it looks like you're almost doing "Good Mornings" instead of squats.

Hope that helps.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I found widening my stance was a good way to get a bit deeper. I'll be trying these exercises to help with my mobility outside the gym:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNqKn6axcSM

Agreed. My husband has the same problem, primarily due to a lack of flexibility. Widening his stance has helped significantly. Still not at parallel, but getting better.
  • skeo
    Options
    Thanks for diagram Taso. I also saw a video from OmarIsuf on YT, about practicing form against a wall, pretty much assume the squat position but to prevent leaning TOO far foward, the wall is there as a barrier and what should touch should really be knees, so it forces a person to keep their torso upwards and their knees and butt pushed back.

So as mentioned, I will continue to practice form with lighter weight, and body squats. And I never thought to try the box version, as a back up support.

and honestly, I do believe my fear is buckling under the weight with my knees, seen too many snap city videos that's struck fear into my heart.

So tonight, i will drop the pins to lower the bar, widen my stance, bring the shoulders back and rest the bar lower on my traps, keep my eyes looking up or forward, and try to go parallel using the box behind me.

Thanks SOOO much everyone for your input!! :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • kimcollings
    kimcollings Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLwiGkywKN4&list=PL3fB03J6Xve_N5GKIBA84QC0UszAlSc-M

Here's another video for squat form. I know someone else posted on in that Deadlift thread. But this is another good video.

Try video taping yourself from the side as well to see bar path.

Terrific video with some tips I'm going to incorporate. Thanks for sharing.
  • kimcollings
    kimcollings Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    2 more cents:

Sorry, I'm only sort of skimming the thread. There seems to be some concern about lean-forward? That shouldn't be a concern. I don't think you're leaning too far forward. When doing a back squat, you WILL naturally lean forward to keep everything in balance. When viewed from the side, the bar will (should) be tracking over the center of your foot. To accomplish this, you must lean forward.

6O6yjPr.jpg?1

As for the depth/mobility issue, what I found helped me was just busting out some body weight squats randomly throughout the day. And this stretch: Do a squat as deep as you can, stick your elbows against the inside of your knees and put your hands together, and shove out your knees with your elbows. Hold for a 10 count or longer. Repeat. Often. You'll get it.

Great advice and I like the exercise at the end.
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I can't watch the video, and anyway I'm pretty new to squatting, but even with a bad knee and neck I have found that I can get way past parallel doing goblet squats. This is far lower than I ever though possible and I am able to keep good form with knees staying in line with toes and elbows coming inside of the knees at the bottom. Maybe you could mix it up with some of them as a reminder of form - no spotter or rack required.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I can't watch the video, and anyway I'm pretty new to squatting, but even with a bad knee and neck I have found that I can get way past parallel doing goblet squats. This is far lower than I ever though possible and I am able to keep good form with knees staying in line with toes and elbows coming inside of the knees at the bottom. Maybe you could mix it up with some of them as a reminder of form - no spotter or rack required.

Well, with Goblet Squats you are supposed to get past parallel to ATG.

And in the Bret Contreras link, he does mention goblet squats as an exercise to help with form. It includes videos too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Agreed with said things above.

Lower pins
    Lower weight
    work on mobility

and goblet squats suck.
  • MissStatement
    Options
    and goblet squats suck.

Cut me some slack, I'm a newb. :flowerforyou: I fully intend to get into barbell front and back squats, but at this stage, and with a history of herniated disks and signs of disk degeneration, I need to get the form down before I progress.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    and goblet squats suck.

Cut me some slack, I'm a newb. :flowerforyou: I fully intend to get into barbell front and back squats, but at this stage, and with a history of herniated disks and signs of disk degeneration, I need to get the form down before I progress.

In your previous statement, it didn't say you had back issues. there are people that confuse sumo/plié dumbbell squats with goblet squats. With the sumo/plié squats, you don't go ATG, but pretty much parallel or just below.

And personally, I love goblet squats...:laugh:
  • Red_Sparrow
    Options
    What everyone else said, but also - as your weights get heavier, you're going to want to try and shed those gloves as well as the running shoes(I think the shoes have already been mentioned). Gloves change(weaken) your bar grip and aren't recommended if you're trying to lift heavy. Be proud of those calluses you get, girl, you will have earned them! You can also use chalk to prevent calluses if your gym allows, or do what I do and file them off with an emery board when they get too big.

Most programs that use the low-back bar position have you position your thumbs over the bar, rather than under, almost pulling the bar against your back to keep it in place. Elbows should be way up, and not perpendicular to the floor (may take some time getting used to that - keeping your chest up will help).
  • skeo
    Options
    What everyone else said, but also - as your weights get heavier, you're going to want to try and shed those gloves as well as the running shoes(I think the shoes have already been mentioned). Gloves change(weaken) your bar grip and aren't recommended if you're trying to lift heavy. Be proud of those calluses you get, girl, you will have earned them! You can also use chalk to prevent calluses if your gym allows, or do what I do and file them off with an emery board when they get too big.

Most programs that use the low-back bar position have you position your thumbs over the bar, rather than under, almost pulling the bar against your back to keep it in place. Elbows should be way up, and not perpendicular to the floor (may take some time getting used to that - keeping your chest up will help).

Yeah, just with my knees, I've been fearful to really dig deep for fear of damaging them further, lol I usually do take off my gloves, just kept them on this time to film really quick to check form, I've got some pretty gnarly calluses already from deadlifts and dead hangs. I'm not sure if 24hr permits chalk, but i think there's something called "invisble chalk" that I've been on the search for.

I will keep practicing with a lighter weight, 135lbs to check form for someone who isn't that proficient in squats is heavy. I was just going for pounds vs form and stability. SO I will drop it down to 95lbs and video from the side to see what the difference is.

thank you ^_^
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It's better to check form on a weight that you're doing for reps. Why check form with weight that you never lift?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    and goblet squats suck.

I didn't say they weren't good for you.

I just said they suck. They suck like burpees suck.

Which is why I do them. :D

Great for mobility.
  • skeo
    Options
    It's better to check form on a weight that you're doing for reps. Why check form with weight that you never lift?

Chalk it up to being a "tough chick" lol...stupid on my part though, I will admit. :embarassed:
  • MissStatement
    Options
    and goblet squats suck.

I didn't say they weren't good for you.

I just said they suck. They suck like burpees suck.

Which is why I do them. :D

Great for mobility.

Oh ok :laugh: I thought you meant they are no good. My legs are like jello when I'm done with them. And burpees do suck.
  • goldylocs37
    goldylocs37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bumping for good info....