Motivation & Accountability

Options
I've lost my motivation and accountability over the past decade and want them back! I've had a lot of changes, stress and let's not discount living through Covid times. I need to lose 50-75 pounds and want to feel and be happier and healthier. I'm hoping that this is the right forum for me to get on track and on my way!

Replies

• Lancer97
    Lancer97 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Feel free to add me as a motivation buddy!
  • gagrod
    gagrod Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Same here - I'm looking to lose around 50 lbs. myself, and I know what you mean about losing the accountability and motivation. With the kids pretty much grown and gone, I'm looking to make a change for the better. I'd be happy to provide positive vibes and inspiration.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    Motivation fades. HABITS last.

Cliffs Notes of Weight Loss:
    • Weight loss happens in THE KITCHEN, fitness happens in the gym
    • small, sustainable changes
    • Understand weight fluctuations are normal. Thinks of a roller coaster, not a steep mountain slope down. Some weeks up, some weeks down. Its the OVERALL TREND that matters
    • Learn to weigh your food ON A FOOD SCALE
    • Learn how to find ACCURATE DATABASE ENTRIES
    • BE ACTIVE - get off your butt and MOVE. Find SOMETHING you enjoy. If your activity is limited, find ways to move that you are ABLE to do
    • Deprivation is the key to Binging and falling off the wagon. Learn how to fit your favorite things in regularly. There are no 'bad foods' Just 'bad quantities'.
    • One 'bad' day will not undo your deficit.
    • You did not gain the weight quickly. You will not lose it quickly. Better to lose it slowly, and KEEP IT OFF, then lose it quick, and gain it all back and more!

Useful Links
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

and basically ... all of these :)
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest

I dont care if you add me, but I will warn you, I am not the friend for everyone. I am very supportive, and off and on all day, so see most things, but I swear like a sailor and ramble incessantly about my life, and not just about diet and weight crap. I have an awesome group of friends who are pretty much the same. You are welcome to board to crazy train and hop off if you so choose. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/callsitlikeiseeit
  • olejunebug22
    olejunebug22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think we all have been there. Motivation What?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    Only you can motivate you. I’ve tried loving encouragement here, calling folks out, and none of it works unless you’re ready to do it- and stick to it.

I will say, however, I am extremely OCD and find some things very motivating, especially my fitness tracker. My husband is recently on the tracker bandwagon and I am flabbergasted at how helpful his has been to him.

I set myself a goal for closing all the rings every day.

It reminds me if I’m falling behind, or need to stand up and move.

There’s solo tracker challenges. I try to come in the top x% of participants each month on solo challenges.

There’s various team challenges. Some of my MFP friends joined me on a team, and I can see their activity increase commensurately as they realize if they’re not active, they’re dragging the team down. (Same for me. We won’t talk about the time I did the hoochie coochie in the airplane bathroom trying to get the stand ring to move. I’d already earned my move ring by doing laps in the terminal while I waited for my plane. I couldn’t let my gals down.)

Some challenges involve tens of thousands of people, some only a few dozen. All other competitors are anonymous, btw, on my tracker.

OR you can set up private challenges with only people you know.

So if you’re in to mind games, consider a tracker. Apple Watch has an outstanding challenges app. Fitbit and Garmin also have challenges, from my understanding.