Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Just curious to know if I’m the only one

Options
MarieBuch10
MarieBuch10 Posts: 24 Member
Hey everyone!

Been on this site for years now, and honestly haven’t been as engaged since the roll out of this community’s new “look.” I used to love coming to the community for inspiration and it really helped me stay focused. I’ve tried giving it time to get used to it but honestly I’m bummed out. I don’t enjoy coming on here anymore due to how clunky and awkward the message boards are.

Is it just me? Does anyone else miss the old layout?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    for the most part, I have got used to the changed layout now.

But I have noticed less traffic on the discussion boards recently - whether the layout is to blame or the Christmas period or what, I dont know.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Bottom line: This isn't going to go back to how it used to be. I'm not going to bail out because of the change, personally. So I'm learning how to live with it. 🤷‍♀️

Absolutely!

And it's really not that much different from "before".

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Stuff changes, often in ways that I don't care for. (Most people IME don't much like change, and I'm no different.)

Software always changes, and I have the impression that the Community upgrade was deferred for a while, but reached a point where the Community software vendor (Vanilla, not MFP) was telling MFP that they were stranding themselves in an unsupported backwater of aging software. Most software vendors of this type don't make changes to make existing users happy, but to attract new ones by having cool new features that can be bullet points in marketing materials. (I have no idea what those would've been in this case, but I'd pretty much bet on their existence.)

In this particular case, I suspect there may've been efforts to make the new thing more like the old thing where it could be twisted that way, which is a common strategy with software upgrades, but usually not a wonderful, productive one.

I spent around 30 years in an IT career where things were dynamically changing all the time, not always in fun ways, and part of my job was changing other people's stuff, not always in ways they thought were fun.

What I came away from that with was the perception that if there was nothing I could do in a particular case (as in the case of this "upgrade") there was no personal advantage in thinking about how much I didn't like it, and that it was usually more productive and long-term less negative an experience if I turned that energy to figuring out how to use it however the new way was. Bailing out is an option in some scenarios, of course, but that's not always a life-enhancing choice, either.

Bottom line: This isn't going to go back to how it used to be. I'm not going to bail out because of the change, personally. So I'm learning how to live with it. 🤷‍♀️

This is very interesting from the point of someone that understands the technical difficulties involved in changing web sites. Those of us who don't know, think that "new" means "better" and "easier". That's why when there's a big new rollout we're hoping to be happy.

I know it's just "suck it up buttercup".
  • Machka9
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Stuff changes, often in ways that I don't care for. (Most people IME don't much like change, and I'm no different.)

Software always changes, and I have the impression that the Community upgrade was deferred for a while, but reached a point where the Community software vendor (Vanilla, not MFP) was telling MFP that they were stranding themselves in an unsupported backwater of aging software. Most software vendors of this type don't make changes to make existing users happy, but to attract new ones by having cool new features that can be bullet points in marketing materials. (I have no idea what those would've been in this case, but I'd pretty much bet on their existence.)

In this particular case, I suspect there may've been efforts to make the new thing more like the old thing where it could be twisted that way, which is a common strategy with software upgrades, but usually not a wonderful, productive one.

I spent around 30 years in an IT career where things were dynamically changing all the time, not always in fun ways, and part of my job was changing other people's stuff, not always in ways they thought were fun.

What I came away from that with was the perception that if there was nothing I could do in a particular case (as in the case of this "upgrade") there was no personal advantage in thinking about how much I didn't like it, and that it was usually more productive and long-term less negative an experience if I turned that energy to figuring out how to use it however the new way was. Bailing out is an option in some scenarios, of course, but that's not always a life-enhancing choice, either.

This is very interesting from the point of someone that understands the technical difficulties involved in changing web sites. Those of us who don't know, think that "new" means "better" and "easier". That's why when there's a big new rollout we're hoping to be happy.

When it comes to software, new means different. It doesn't necessarily mean "better" or "easier", in particular not for the user.

As Ann says, "the Community upgrade was deferred for a while, but reached a point where the Community software vendor (Vanilla, not MFP) was telling MFP that they were stranding themselves in an unsupported backwater of aging software." MFP had to make a decision to change things. Happens all the time.

I was a little disappointed initially when we couldn't use the BBCode, but being able to use the BBCode is old technology. They've brought that back temporarily while users get used to the pale colour of the site, but I would not be at all surprised if they start phasing the BBCode out this year. Or maybe pull the plug on it all together in 6 months time.

For now, other than the pale colour of the site, not much has changed. At least not significantly. One forum software is much the same as another. When they phase out the BBCode, you'll notice a few slightly more significant changes.

• MarieBuch10
    MarieBuch10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts on this. I do understand the need for “upgrades” and what not. While I’m still not a fan of this one, hopefully I’ll find some engaging threads that will pull me back in.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Better and easier, yes, but for whom? 😉
  • Machka9
    Options
    Could you please explain what 'phase out the BBcode' will mean for users?

In language suitable for a 5 year old (or a 58 year old technophobe ;) )

You won't be able to use colours.

Like RED

And some other neat formatting features.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I'm gonna miss that little guy...

Oh and :flowerforyou:
  • Machka9
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Could you please explain what 'phase out the BBcode' will mean for users?

In language suitable for a 5 year old (or a 58 year old technophobe ;) )

You won't be able to use colours.

Like RED

And some other neat formatting features.

These are some BBCode options ... some work here, some don't.

9b4713s0o5tj.png

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    that will make posting boring if we can't use emojis or colours, bold etc
  • Machka9
    Options
    that will make posting boring if we can't use emojis or colours, bold etc

Yeah, it was a little bit boring for the first few days when this forum change happened. They had taken the BBCode away and changed several other things. But fortunately they brought the BBCode back and put several things back to the way they were to appease the users.

This is why I'm saying that right now, the changes are quite insignificant ... compared to what they were during the first few days after the forum change happened.

When the full forum change happens, then we'll notice some differences.
  • BarryTone99
    BarryTone99 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a long time MFP on-and-off user. I noticed the change as well. Don’t care for it as much as the simple format from before. It also takes a lot longer to load and I can’t see how many new posts anymore. Even so, this change is not nearly as bad as when MFP added all of the Blog-clogs to my feed.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    not nearly as bad as when MFP added all of the Blog-clogs to my feed.
    But that, increasing business and difficulty in accessing friends posts has led me to cut down on participating there and commenting on friend walls.

And, together with the deletion of old logging data, made me look at alternatives. Am I over-joyed with Cron? Once cleaned up to a set of select entries MFP logging remains, I think, faster. But for my current "looser" logging where I am willing to accept close enough "similar" values for things as long as they're relatively correct.. Cron does the trick for me, and I can get MY data out in a csv file if I ever want them!

So moving to today:
    I'm using the community part of the app less, too, because of the redesign.

What can I say.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    This has definitely reduced my engagement.

:disappointed: