Calories given ?

Does anyone know why my fitness pal gives me less calories a day to lose 2lb a week than my friend who is over 2 stone lighter than me ?

Thank you in advance if anyone can shed some light 🙂

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,710 Member
    The calorie goal is determined by:
    - weight (heavier = burns more calories)
    - age (older = burns less calories)
    - weight loss rate (a daily deficit of 250 calories to lose 0.5lbs per week, a daily deficit of 1000kcal per day to lose 2lbs per week; but MFP will never go lower than a calorie goal of 1200 for women and 1500 for men, to ensure adequate nutrition)
    - activity level (the more active you are, the higher your calorie goal - be mindful that MFP intends the activity level setting to reflect your activity level not counting intentional exercise, exercise should be logged separately and will also increase your calorie goal)

Most likely, she chose a higher activity level setting than you?
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Is your friend taller than you? Male? Younger? Have they selected a different activity level?

The calorie goal is set by an algorithm based on the information you’ve given it so the only explanation is that the details you’ve both entered are different in some way, beyond the possibly aggressive 2lb a week you’ve cited.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,321 Member
    Height is also a factor.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Does anyone know why my fitness pal gives me less calories a day to lose 2lb a week than my friend who is over 2 stone lighter than me ?

Thank you in advance if anyone can shed some light 🙂

Weight isn't the only factor. The calculation is based on height, weight, sex, and activity level.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Dont compare your goals or progress to anyone else's.

Do you want to lose weight fast and gain it back, or slower and KEEP it off.