Why am I still hungry?

Options
Why am I so hungry after I run? Am I burning more than the approximate amount the app says? I eat 1600 or sometimes 1400 cals a day but I always reach my protein intake (plant based shakes) I’m never that hungry after I do weights and I lift fairly heavy.

Example: during the day I eat 800 calories of my 1600. after I run I have 1000 calories to eat. I eat about 500-700 calories yet I’m still hungry. I usually just don’t eat at that feeling because obviously I know I just ate 5-700 calorie… I weigh 195 and after my run I’ll drop to 192.5-193. (I run 3 miles in 20 minutes) what I eat after I run is a protein shake,ground beef and tuna.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,156 Member
    Options
    Some people are more sensitive to cardio induced hunger. It's not necessarily correlated with how many calories you are burning. Some people have this effect more from intense exercise and find low intensity over a longer duration suppresses their appetite.

The weight you drop during running is water, and for some people thirst can be confused with hunger: perhaps increase your water intake (and electrolytes), since you seem to sweat quite a lot.

Something else you could try: eating more carbs and/or fat instead of all that protein. Your body may be pushing you to refuel after you run (and protein isn't the fuel of choice, is more useful to build/maintain muscle mass).

Lastly: your calorie goal seems quite low, especially on running days. But it's hard to tell without knowing your sex, height and goal weight. As a 5ft5 woman weighing 136lbs and losing weight very slowly, I eat more than that, and way more on running days.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,156 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Lastly: your calorie goal seems quite low, especially on running days. But it's hard to tell without knowing your sex, height and goal weight. As a 5ft5 woman weighing 136lbs and losing weight very slowly, I eat more than that, and way more on running days.

I just checked your profile, which says you're male. So your calorie intake definitely sounds low (MFP will never give a calorie goal below 1500 for men, to ensure adequate nutrition). What is our height and goal weight? What weight loss rate did you enter in MFP?
  • zaerodriguez1216
    zaerodriguez1216 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I just checked your profile, which says you're male. So your calorie intake definitely sounds low (MFP will never give a calorie goal below 1500 for men, to ensure adequate nutrition). What is our height and goal weight? What weight loss rate did you enter in MFP?

I started a weight loss to get back into weight standards to go back into the Marines. I was 205 in Mid October, now I’m at 195. MFP told me 1600 Cals to drop weight. My goal is 185. I am 5’11. So I’m conditioning my body just like boot camp where we moved a lot and at portions 3 times a day.
  • zaerodriguez1216
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You are hungry because you are eating at a very low calorie level for your size and exercise level.

With that speed of running your cardio is pretty intense - suggest you add some carbs to your post run food. Post cardio exercise recovery food is traditionally more carb focussed than protein focussed.

Hunger response to different exercise types is very individual, for me strength training (low calorie burn) produces a bigger hunger response. High intensity, short duration cardio is fairly high hunger response for the calorie burn but long duration low or moderate intensity cardio produces almost no hunger response despite very high calorie burns.

But really eating as low calories as you are is the fundamental problem and very easy to address.

I eat protein after because I get sore on my thighs and I wanna build it into muscle as well as I’m usually sore the next day from the gym still. I lift heavy as I said and I don’t want to start losing strength as I lose weight. I went from 205lbs to 195 and my goal is 185. I drink 8 cups of water and by the time I run I have at least 1000mg of sodium in me. I don’t eat carbs on cardio day only weight training. But I will start incorporating carbs post cardio. I don’t ever hit my count. It’s usually half what I should.
  • zaerodriguez1216
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    My guess it that you got 1600 because you picked the fastest rate of weight loss - that's a choice not an instruction from MFP.
    As you get closer to goal weight fast rate of loss gets to be a worse and worse choice.
    And of course the goal is 1600 + exercise calories and only 1600 on a day with no exercise at all.

Suggest you have a serious rethink about what you are currently doing is suitable for someone with only 10lbs left to lose.

I have height and weight standards in the Marines, I can only weigh so much for my height. Also, I was fine when I started but that was when my 3 miles was at 25 minutes. Now I’m back down too 20 minutes and I’m still training to get it back to 19min. So as I got my strength and stamina back, I started getting hungrier and hungrier. In 2.5 months I lost 10 lbs so I think that’s a great weight and progress
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I started a weight loss to get back into weight standards to go back into the Marines. I was 205 in Mid October, now I’m at 195. MFP told me 1600 Cals to drop weight. My goal is 185. I am 5’11. So I’m conditioning my body just like boot camp where we moved a lot and at portions 3 times a day.

MFP only "told" you that because of your inputs...likely you selected 2 Lbs per week rate of loss goal which is aggressive...and thus why you are hungry. That target also assumes you are sedentary...most people truly aren't. I also don't see any mention of accounting for exercise calories and eating those back to account for unaccounted activity.
  • zaerodriguez1216
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

MFP only "told" you that because of your inputs...likely you selected 2 Lbs per week rate of loss goal which is aggressive...and thus why you are hungry. That target also assumes you are sedentary...most people truly aren't. I also don't see any mention of accounting for exercise calories and eating those back to account for unaccounted activity.
    I stated how much I eat as an example earlier
    Also currently I work from home so I sit for 8 hours but I do push-ups through out the day ( I love push-ups ) but then once I’m off I play with my son and I go straight gym.
  • zaerodriguez1216
    Options

I stated how much I eat as an example earlier
    Also currently I work from home so I sit for 8 hours but I do push-ups through out the day ( I love push-ups ) but then once I’m off I play with my son and I go straight gym.

My point stands...you are an adult male and with your stats, you are consuming pretty much bare minimum calories for a sedentary male for aggressive weight loss...thus you are hungry. On top of that you have 10 Lbs remaining to lose...which makes your 2 Lbs per week even more aggressive. Aggressive weight loss targets = being hungry especially with regular exercise.

I'm 47 with a desk job and without any deliberate exercise other than walking my dog a couple miles most night, I lose about 1 Lb per week on 2200-2300 calories per day pretty easily....with exercise I can lose that same 1 Lb per week on even more calories. I am also a former Marine and while it may be three squares per day in boot, they pack those meals with calories...nobody in boot is eating 1600 calories per day, even if they're on half rats...

Rah

So am I under eating? I eat less than 1600 because I try to stay “in a deficit” but am I doing that wrong because I’m already eating less than I should?
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 452 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I'm a 5'6" 130 lbs 44 year old woman. If I don't exercise, I lose about 1/3 lb/week on 1,600 calories. Definitely eat more.
  • zaerodriguez1216
    Options
    So I went to change my settings and I realized that my goal weight was 175lbs…. I meant to put 185…..but now I’m changing it to 190.
    I realized as I’m thinning out I'm going to start using muscles to use as energy….thanks everyone!