Can I eat the calories I burn?

Options
So my recommended amount is 1200 calories however today I burned 600 calories from ballet and walking I entered this and my calorie intake went up to 1800. Does this mean I should eat 1800? I asked my friend and she said I should still stick to 1200 and the calorie tracker is probably overestimating what I have burned

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    It may be overestimating, or it may not. Try eating back some portion of your calories and see how it works. Some people just eat 50%. If you find yourself losing faster than you expect, eat more. If you lose more slowly, eat less. I have always eaten back all the calories mfp gives me and it worked to lose and maintain my weight for several years, but I also burn a bit high for my age and size.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Is exercise already included in your calorie allowance or not? If not, are you hungry? Eat some back! Most calculators overestimate, so I never eat more than half.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,429 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat them (at least partially) back. Imagine you only ate 600 calories all day. Would you feel fine then? Because if you really burned 600 calories and don't eat them back then this is the same as only eating 600 calories. For one day it's probably fine, but if you did this regularly then you'd be undereating, potentially by a lot. Result? You might be damaging your health, losing much more muscle than you should, and potentially going on a binge.