Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Latest Trend is Fasting: What say you?

Options

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    I don't think most people have the will power to fast. I've done fasts, longest being 41 hours. I've never been "fat" per BMI chart and in 45 years I've never taken any permanent medications or had any major illnesses. I don't follow trends. I do it because I like it, much like people like eating smaller meals or whatever. There has been medical research on fasting, lots of good stuff to read. Lack of will power is usually my breaking point. You have a medical professional in your family and I'm sure he knows much more than popular opinion or preference. Sometimes the harder option has extra benefits, just my opinion.

i2glad865so1.jpg
    trvtx4jnif0q.jpg
    219gx2hngund.jpg

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    One more! The benefits are real, just my experience!

6r3o9qo6hyhm.jpg
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,000 Member
    Options
    "Yogic way of life" - appears to be source of that information.

Sure, if sensible fasting routines suit you, do them. I dont think anyone is disputing they suit some people

and if they don't, dont do them.

That's all.
  • FatnFedUp49
    FatnFedUp49 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know if IF works as a way of boosting your metabolism, or if it's merely a fad.

Some religions/cults use fasting as a kind of meditative reflection, to try to get closer to God, but even then, they only do it once a month.

I worked with a girl 20 years ago who had a 'cleanse' every week, even though there was no medical need for it, she was very petite and slim.

It's an interesting idea, and I think if you've plateaued on your weight loss journey, it might be an idea to have a day off, just to see if it works or helps, but split it equally over two days, start at midday on day one, and finish at midday on day two.
  • RaquelFit2
    RaquelFit2 Posts: 208 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I tried If for a few weeks. Pretty much hated it. Read and watched a million sources of info. from very reputable science articles to salesmen who also are doctors.

My conclusion:

Losing weight the "IF" way isn't superior to losing weight by watching what you eat and for the most part: not sustainable.
  • Annabobanna1985
    Annabobanna1985 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I Fast intermittently. I usually do an 8 hour eating window because it works for my schedule. I've fasted for weight loss alone in the past and it was too restrictive for me. I lost lbs but wasn't able to stick to it so they came back. The intermittent schedule has me gradually losing lbs and my energy levels are fine. I think I may even be sleeping better.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast and eat up to 11:30pm at night. My next meal isn't until after 12pm. Timing of meals doesn't matter nor when you eat. But I've been doing 12 hours between meals for years and have stayed within 10lbs almost all of that time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I stick to 4-5 meals because I don't want to stuff 2500 calories in one sitting
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    IF is just stupid in my opinion. Weight loss is solely down to calorie deficit, no matter what you eat, when you eat it, as long as you are in a calorie deficit the weight comes off. You end up in binges by starving yourself and hence puts you in surplus of calories. A controlled calorie diet eating regular to help your body function throughout the day is the only logical way to lose weight and keep it that way. No food is good or bad just some food is nutrient dense and some isn’t. It is bull that you can’t eat after a certain time or you can’t eat certain foods, you calorie intake and burn is what matters for weight loss throughout the week. I eat 2300 cals a day, step an average of 15000 steps and eat whatever food I like whatever time of the day and I have lost 5 stone. I choose to eat more nutrient dense food as I don’t want my health to suffer but even if I chose McDonald’s everyday as long as I burn more than I eat I lose weight and it is the same with everyone. Calorie deficit = fat loss no matter when or what you eat

Literally no one I know who does IF assumes that they don't need to maintain a calorie deficit to lose weight.

But IF was prescribed to me by a top neurologist and the benefits have been fantastic. Most of us who do IF actually binge less, have less hunger over all, and find that our energy levels are much better.

It's not for everyone, and you don't have to do it and you don't have to like it, but it's not stupid for those of who for whom it is hugely beneficial. Especially for those of us with medical conditions that substantially benefit.

I don't have any weight left to lose and I still do IF and will probably eat this way forever because I far, far prefer it.

I ate 3 meals and snacks yesterday because of a special occasion and company over, and I went to bed whining to my spouse about how much I hate eating all day. Also, ironically, eating multiple meals makes me much, much more hungry and more likely to binge. Late last night I was eating bagels and salmon because the hunger from eating all day was overwhelming and I was getting hangry craving refined carbs and fat.

I don't get that when I do IF.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If skipping breakfast counts as IF, then it is making my summer a bit easier to stay in calorie goal. On days I have just coffee in the am, I have more calories for afternoon and evening when we're active and with other people. I am a teacher, so I sleep in a bit in the summer and have coffee mid morning. I am right now, at 12:00 eating my first food for the day. I will not skip breakfast during the school year. I need energy for teaching!
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I don't think fasting is necessary or healthy. There's a reason why religions that have fasting periods tell kids, the elderly, and people with serious health conditions not to do it. One of my relatives was fasting for Ramadan (which is essentially intermittent fasting) and over the course of that month had a long-term health issue seriously worsen and turn almost fatal. They were in the hospital for almost a year recovering and almost died.

I hate when health advice is based on "what people did in ancient times." People in ancient times fasted usually because they didn't have enough food. The life expectancy was also 35 back then and ancient humans lived at constant risk of death from iron-deficiency anemia. We shouldn't base what we do now on what people did with the limited resources and options available in ancient times.

Also I have PCOS (which increases the risk of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes). I read that the recommendation from dieticians is to eat multiple small meals a day. I used to eat two large meals a day, sometimes within an 8-hour period (not on purpose, it just turned out that way due to bad scheduling). I switched to 3 meals and 1 to 3 snacks and I'm also eating a lower glycemic diet (mostly reducing white flour and processed sugar, although I didn't give up either entirely). It was an adjustment at first and I did feel more hungry at first because I was used to eating 900 to 1000 calories per meal. But it's been about six weeks now. My acne is pretty much gone. My latest period is way lighter and less painful. Usually during that time of the month I can hardly even get out of bed, but now I have normal levels of energy. My energy levels are much better in general and so is my mood. I'm not overweight so my goals are just related to improving my PCOS symptoms and it has exceeded my expectations so far.

I also find this diet to be very doable and not overly restrictive like a keto or low-carb diet might be. The more restrictions you have on your diet, the less sustainable it will be over the long term.

There was a time years ago when I lost 10 pounds dieting and back then I also switched to 3 meals and 3 snacks, because I was constantly hungry otherwise. I lost the weight easily and had no problem with hunger after I started eating snacks between meals.

And I would never skip breakfast. I get into a bad mood and even feel dizzy if I go too long without eating when I wake up. That's always been the case since I was a kid. Breakfast is usually my largest and highest-fat meal of the day.
  • ricalespy
    ricalespy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To me, food is kind of addictive. Once I take a bite, it takes a lot of effort not to over eat. For me, it is easier to follow a modified version alternate day fasting were I don't eat at all Mon, Wed and Friday. The other days I avoid overeating by counting calories although I allocate a comfortable amount (2300 to 2500). This routine allowed me to lose so far 30 lbs and most importantly, heal my fatty liver. I workout on the eating days and rest on the fasting days.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,000 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that works for you.

Whether it is the reason for improved fatty liver, who knows. Other things like change in foods you eat, weight loss itself etc could be the main reason.

Most people wouldn't have the option of resting 3 days a week so there is that too. ( or do you just mean not exercising those days, rather than all day resting? )

Wouldn't work for me, I need to eat every day.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,286 Member
    Options
    @ricalespy

I don't think I could ever thrive on 9,000 - 10,000 calories a week if I did any exercise at all. I would need at least 50% more. I also think I would just plain be unhappy if I didn't eat three days a week. If it's working for you - good luck.

I'm curious how you manage to avoid overeating on the days that you do eat if your main problem is that once you start you can't stop. If you can avoid overeating on the days you do eat, why can't you do it EVERY day? It seems you could take the skills you learn from the days you DO eat, find a good calorie goal, and then eat something close to that amount every day with a bigger goal to hit a weekly calorie target.