Alton Brown Weight Loss

Options
2»

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,595 Member
    Options
    Lost me when the never list is my daily list. 🤷‍♀️

Me too. I'm apparently doing the Anti Alton Brown diet.
  • JenKindo
    JenKindo Posts: 418 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Well, he's not doing it anymore either, so maybe it's just the New Alton Brown diet! 😆

He's a celebrity cook, doesn't mean he knows any more about nutrition and weight loss than the rest of us...
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was agreeing with the previous posters, haha. Thanks!!! :D That does look weird read out of order...
    NVintage wrote: »
    I completely agree on the NEVER categories, for myself, at least. I eat mostly Amy's soups and the lower sodium varieties. For fast food, I usually get a kid's meal or the sandwich or burger with a small drink. I do try to limit soda, but would hate to completely cut it out!

I generally stick to a weekly meal plan, so it'd easy for me to incorporate the rest of this into it, and maybe do red meat, pasta, alcohol, and desserts on weekends only.

How can you say you agree on the NEVER categories, which includes canned soup, and then say that you eat canned soup, eat fast food, and don't completely cut out soda? Never means not at all, ever.

ETA: And I see this repeated several times in this thread by others saying things like "this is completely doable but I couldn't give up X."

I think the OP was saying they agree with the previous posters...not agreeing about the items in the "never" category.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    It seems like it would be very low in protein.

Any diet that is really restrictive can work -- for a while. Most people get bored eating the same food over and over and start having cheat days which turn into cheat weeks which end up with ther person stopping the diet entirely.

I'm interpreting a lot of this to be things he makes sure he's eating regularly, but not exclusive of other things like chicken or whatever. At least the things in the everyday category and 3x per week category...I would assume that would be at least 3x per week as many of those are what is recommended at least 3x per week by many health bodies.

I would interpret the 1x per week and "never foods" as restricted to that many times per week or never...so first 2 categories are "at least" and the last two are "at most". I have my own list like this personalized for myself, though I don't have any "never foods" but it isn't inclusive of everything I eat...basically minimums and maximums kind of like RDA for various nutrients.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    Meh - I just eat things whenever I want to, without needing some list to go by

As long as your overall diet is reasonably nutritiously balanced and within your appropriate calories

But I suppose some people like more structure and this sort of plan works for them.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    What’s wrong with yogurt and sweet potatoes that they’re only allowed 3 times a week?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    What’s wrong with yogurt and sweet potatoes that they’re only allowed 3 times a week?

I interpreted it as more that he felt he wasn't routinely eating enough of those things, given their benefits, so wanted to eat them at least 3 times a week.

It does say "at least" in the quote, not "at most".

I eat yogurt every day, and sweet potatoes maybe once a month . . . but I think I'll live. If I'm routinely over on fats and protein, over on every micro MFP bothers to track (and some others I've spot checked), I don't see why I need a list to know what veggies/fruits to eat (when I'm already making it a point to vary types/colors, easy since there are so many yummy ones).