Low Sodium

Options
I have just started my journey to watching my sodium. Holy Cow! I thought a salad from chickfila would be ok. The sodium in it is 2200 without any dressing. Anyone else trying to fight the sodium consumption and how are you doing it? I work 2 jobs and finding the time to consistently meal prep is a challenge and then when I do and log it, still lots of sodium. Help!

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    It's definitely a myth that salads are the best choice in a restaurant. Many have as many or more calories and sodium than other menu items.

At your example of Chick-Fil-A, a grilled chicken sandwich and waffle fries would have fewer calories and less sodium than that Cobb salad you are referring to. In fact, the Cobb salad is the highest calorie item on their menu. For restaurants that post their nutritional information, check them ahead of time to make sure what you select fits into your goals.

As far as the sodium...do you have a medical reason for having to reduce sodium? If it's just a preference, or a personal goal, that's fine, but it's not necessary to lose weight, and not so important unless you have a medical condition.

You say the sodium is high even for the meals you cook at home? Can you give an example? What types of ingredients are causing the sodium to be high in these meals? Maybe you can make some easy substitutions.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything from any restaurant is going to be on the higher side for sodium. Processed, shelf stable foods are also high in sodium as a preservative. Cooking at home using whole foods and minimally processed foods is really the only way to go about it.

What are you making at home that is a lot of sodium? And what does "lots of sodium" exactly mean to you and do you have a reason medically to really fuss about it? Keep in mind that too much sodium can be a problem, particularly if you have pre-existing medical conditions that are exacerbated by excess sodium, but so can too little as sodium is an essential electrolyte for your body.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Sodium is your electrolyte. You know, the thing that keeps your kidneys alive. Low sodium diet for the general public is mostly a product of bad science. Excess water retention is pretty obvious when you can't put on your shoes. Or, you have had recent heart surgery. Or, if a medical doctor who has actually examined you has ordered a low sodium diet, go right ahead. But, if you have been obtaining Internet medical diagnosis, get to your doctor and find out for sure.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I second people asking if you have a medical reason to worry about sodium. Most people do because most people don't have a healthy blood pressure, but if you don't, then there's nothing inherently wrong with salt. I am prescribed 6-10g of salt in pill form every day.

But yeah, if you do have a medical reason to reduce salt, pretty much all restaurant food will be problematic, unless it is advertised specifically as low sodium. The amount of salt used in most restaurant food is insane, and fast food even moreso.
  • KarmaKamen
    KarmaKamen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I thought a salad from chickfila would be ok. The sodium in it is 2200 without any dressing.

When you get salads from chick fil a, you can ask for cold grilled chicken. It's not coated or fried. They have a warm grilled chicken, but I think they add stuff to it. I always skip the crouton like toppings like the Crispy Bell Peppers just to cut down on unnecessary calories / processed stuff. Also, they have side salads now which don't have chicken, but I like them because they pack them pretty full of veggies.

Hope this helps. On the website it says the Cobb Salad w/ Grilled Filet (Cold) is 1380 mg sodium, which is still a lot... but maybe that would work if you split it in half and bring your own dressing?
  • emichaelking
    emichaelking Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One of the goals of DASH diets is low sodium, so you could look for DASH diet recipes. I have high blood pressure and after 2 weeks of sodium moderation (now averaging about 1500mg/day vs Am Heart Asso 2300mg/day guideline), my BP is down 15+ points...on both top and bottom numbers! I am avoiding processed foods and preparing more at home to better control my sodium. I pour over nutrition labels and try to make wise choices...per the diet, eat more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Good luck.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    The benefits of restricting sodium are still under study. Reducing sodium definitely reduces your PB slightly and can reduce swelling in lower extremities. It does seem that the benefits are real, but they seem pretty small. So, why do doctors always recommend it? I think it's because it's one of the few easy things you can do to reduce cardiovascular risk (along with maintaining a healthy weight, getting regular exercise, minimizing alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use, and other well-known measures).

I have chosen to do it because I have mild hypertension. Also, I feel noticeably worse the day after a particularly salty meal. And, it can cause my weight to spike. Also, salt can mask other subtle flavors, so I generally don't like foods to have too much of it. In general, I don't like very salty foods (at least not anymore!

Now, by reduced sodium, I mean I shoot to stay under 3000mg/day. Some people really like salty food and can go way over that. I do think that if you eat very high salt the heart-disease risks get higher.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    The low sodium industry is predicated on some unsupported dietary guidelines decades ago by the American Heart Association. With billions at stake there is no turning back now. Just be sensible since the concerns you have expressed are important only if you have had recent heart surgery or a history of bad heart problems. Otherwise, pointless and possibly dangerous.
  • JulieNFitPal
    JulieNFitPal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @angieplusone I started reducing my salt years ago. I was using a salt shaker for everything and started stopping in stages. Near the end, I could taste the salt in the butter on my corn. I started adding veggies to everything to train my brain not to miss the salt; Veggie omelets, Fried potatoes with onions, Baked potatoes with bacon bits, Mashed potatoes with extra butter, ect. There seems to be enough sodium in the foods these days it is easy to get enough sodium without adding to. I now make homemade "no salted" butter. I don't even miss the salt any more. A few chips or some chicken will satisfy any craving for it.
  • Amanda_Gies
    Amanda_Gies Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I know you pasted a while ago, but you could check out FlavorGods seasonings. They have many different seasonings with low sodium in many of the flavors.
  • phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who have to do low sodium for health reasons; there are a lot of good spice blends out there! Mrs dash has multi packs of spice blends and Penzeys also has a lot of good spice blends for cooking at home. A lot of fast food or processed foods have a lot of salt to preserve them or make them more palatable. Hot sauce, pickles, cheese, cured meat, and tortillas were all things that I’ve heard were surprisingly high in sodium. Salad dressing can be really salty so using oil and vinegar might be a good substitute and you can control the added salt if you need to
  • nana2394
    nana2394 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have Meniere's disease (ringing in ears, dizziness, stomach upset). My ENT recommended that I cut back on my sodium intake. It is hard to do!!! But I salt foods for my family about half of what I did before. They salt at the table. Drink water!!! Drink half your weight in ounces every single day.
    Coffee, tea, soft drinks do not count. Water. It really does help.
    Also, buy fresh or frozen vegetables. They have no salt whereas canned veggies always have salt:).
    Cook a chicken breast for sandwiches instead deli meat.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    nana2394 wrote: »
    I have Meniere's disease (ringing in ears, dizziness, stomach upset). My ENT recommended that I cut back on my sodium intake. It is hard to do!!! But I salt foods for my family about half of what I did before. They salt at the table. Drink water!!! Drink half your weight in ounces every single day.
    Coffee, tea, soft drinks do not count. Water. It really does help.
    Also, buy fresh or frozen vegetables. They have no salt whereas canned veggies always have salt:).
    Cook a chicken breast for sandwiches instead deli meat.

To the bolded - Coffee, tea and soft drinks definitely count. Why wouldn't they? Also, canned vegetables don't always have salt. There are many that don't have salt added. Read the labels.
  • angieplusone
    angieplusone Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I somehow missed all these responses. I've never used this program for the community and have learned that I need it. I am battling high blood pressure. I do not like the bp meds I'm on and that is why I started watching my sodium. I let it beat me down trying to stay low sodium and the Dr said to just do the weight watchers program and I would succeed. I seem to be hungry all the time and so I have been focusing more on adding protein. I know I eat way too many carbs and do not cook whole foods enough. I don't drink pop. I am a water drinker so I know its the foods I'm choosing.
  • KenC1952
    KenC1952 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do have a medical reason for monitoring my sodium intake, high blood pressure. Up until about a month ago I thought I was doing pretty good cutting back on salt. Then I talked with the registered dietitian at the cardiac rehab facility where I was working to recover from open heart surgery. I was really surprised by how much salt I was ingesting and where I came from. Bread was near the top of the list. Canned vegetables, unless marked No Salt Added. Condiments of all kinds. The condiments and bread were what got me. I love spicy food and while I watched the sodium in my many varieties of hot sauce I failed to notice the serving size. Who puts a single teaspoon of hot sauce in a bowl of soup! My adult son, who also loves spicy food and has to monitor his sodium for the same reason, found a line of delicious hot sauce that is about the lowest in sodium I have seen. It's the Buckee's brand! At first glance it looks to be high in sodium till you look at the serving size, 1 ounce (6 teaspoons). Watch the serving size, especially with regard to condiments, sauces and dressings.
  • cougmantx
    cougmantx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recently had a heart attack (2nd one) brought on by complications from Covid. My blood pressure was over 200, and the EMT stated I was in the stroke area. After I left the hospital, I threw out all the salt in the house and any seasoning that contained a lot of salt. My wife hasn't had sugar in the home for 25 years. Fortunately, I work out of my house and cook meals daily, with very little to no processed or fast food. It's a lot easier than I thought it would be. Since the beginning of July 2022, when I was hospitalized, I have lost 28 pounds and counting. I was at 228 and am now at 200, trying to get to 180. My blood pressure is still higher than healthy, and I will see my cardiologist later in the month to review what I'm doing. I will also attend a cardiac rehab program—my salt intake averages between 800 and 1000 mg a day.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Focus on consuming foods rich in potassium, magnesium and calcium which is where the focus should be, get regular exercise and a little daily meditation helps too.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I cook at home. Microwave. I simply do not add salt. It is often claimed that you will no longer taste the lack of salt after 3 weeks or so. That is half true. In my case, the 3 was correct, but the weeks were years. I don't know if I no longer taste the lack of salt or whether it is more a case of not remembering how the same food tastes with added salt. No matter, I don't use it. The only added salt I have is in canned sardines and canned tomatoes, and that is because that is the way the stuff is sold, not because I add it. As a result, my salt intake is really very low.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I somehow missed all these responses. I've never used this program for the community and have learned that I need it. I am battling high blood pressure. I do not like the bp meds I'm on and that is why I started watching my sodium. I let it beat me down trying to stay low sodium and the Dr said to just do the weight watchers program and I would succeed. I seem to be hungry all the time and so I have been focusing more on adding protein. I know I eat way too many carbs and do not cook whole foods enough. I don't drink pop. I am a water drinker so I know its the foods I'm choosing.

Simply losing weight can be enough for many people to reduce their blood pressure. There are diet and sodium tips in this article from the Mayo Clinic as well.

10 ways to control high blood pressure without medication

1. Lose extra pounds and watch your waistline

Blood pressure often increases as weight increases. Being overweight also can cause disrupted breathing while you sleep (sleep apnea), which further raises blood pressure.

Weight loss is one of the most effective lifestyle changes for controlling blood pressure. If you're overweight or have obesity, losing even a small amount of weight can help reduce blood pressure. In general, blood pressure might go down by about 1 millimeter of mercury (mm Hg) with each kilogram (about 2.2 pounds) of weight lost.

Read more: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/in-depth/high-blood-pressure/art-20046974
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

How much weight do you want to lose and what's your weekly weight loss goal?

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg