How often do you record your weight?

Options

Replies

• Patti1023
    Patti1023 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I only record it in MFP weekly (first thing in the morning, like others said), and even then, I only record if there was a loss. If I'm curious enough at any other time to weigh myself, I don't record it.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    It's a very individual decision! For various reasons, I prefer to weigh daily and I also record weight daily. This allows me to get used to the daily fluctuations and makes it easier to track change over time. Rather than expecting a loss every week, I go to the "reports" section, look at the graph for the past month and see if there's a downward trend.

The disadvantage is that MFP reports every loss. (I think you can set it not to, but then it wouldn't report any loss at all). If you tend to gain and lose a pound or two from day to day you might keep having reports of losing the same pound every couple of days! I'm sure my friends get sick of it!
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I know I should probably weigh once a week but it makes me happy and keeps me motivated to see my weight loss every morning. I lose a few tenths of a pound most days (.4-.8) except the day after Cheat Day, so it gives me something to look forward to.
    I log it when I lose. That's all.
    LOL, same here.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I log every Friday morning - no matter what it says, up, down or the same. I weigh myself every couple days or so, but only log Fridays.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day (with the exception of my TOM, I skip that week) and record the number if it's the same or lower two days in a row. A couple of people on my friends list who are also every-day-weighers recommended this to me when I asked them about it and it helps me not get so stressed about the numbers :) Sometimes I don't log it for a few days because it's much more satisfying logging a whole pound loss rather than a couple ounces at a time
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but only record my losses after about two weeks of being within 2 pounds up or down of the same weight, and I'm losing the last 10-15 very slowly, so I don't record it very often. (And luckily I seem to have worked out the numbers that are good for me, so I don't have any wild fluctuations anymore, even around my TOM.)
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day but only record the downward movements. I undertstand there are fluctuations and some days I go up, but I don't record those. I record any loss even if its only .1lb, it makes me feel good.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    It is completely up to you. But, I do recommend no more than once a week. And, if you chose 1 day a week, make sure it is the same day and same time.

I weigh Monday mornings, around 8AM.
  • asalembier
    asalembier Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but only log a loss when it happens for motivation and support for me.

As for broadcasting, not quite, but instead of it saying * has lost 3.5 since her last weigh in and has lost 9.5 lbs so far, it would just say you lost 3.5 lbs until you are past where it last has you logged at the lowest, so people would know if you gained weight if they were to read into it more.

I also do total body measurements weekly and/or monthly to see where I am at and log that. Neck, arm, shoulders, breasts, ribs, waist, mid, hips, butt,thighs, thigh, knee, calf, ankle because if I am not losing weight, I am probably losing inches
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I log it when I lose. That's all.

Same!

Or once a week! :)
  • brooks4320
    Options
    I record my weight every 3 - 5 days. That is typically how long it takes for me to recognize true weight loss as opposed to daily fluctuations. I only log weight gain if I have consistently undone my weight loss. Meaning, if I have gained and maintained that weight for about 2 weeks, I go ahead and log it so that I am being honest with myself and tracking what works vs what does not.

At the end of the day, it's up to you. If it feels great to log every day and see the pounds fall off, then do it! If you hate seeing daily fluctuations and prefer to log steady declines, then every 3 - 5 days should work.

Good luck and welcome!
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning to keep track of how my body fluctuates with the full understanding that I will fluctuate a pound or two every day for instance I have stayed at 153lbs for the last 5 days but this morning I was 154. I know I have been eating at a deficit the entire time so there is no way I gained an actual pound this week and I am assuming its from my TOM. Keep in mind The food you eat and the water you drink does weigh something so I would not suggest weight yourself through out the day because you will be heavier after drinking and eating. And honestly, there's no way you burned 3500 calories in one day so there's no sense in weighing yourself twice. Weighing once a week is probably the easier way to go if seeing your weight fluctuate can freak you out.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but only log a loss when it happens for motivation and support for me.

As for broadcasting, not quite, but instead of it saying * has lost 3.5 since her last weigh in and has lost 9.5 lbs so far, it would just say you lost 3.5 lbs until you are past where it last has you logged at the lowest, so people would know if you gained weight if they were to read into it more.

I also do total body measurements weekly and/or monthly to see where I am at and log that. Neck, arm, shoulders, breasts, ribs, waist, mid, hips, butt,thighs, thigh, knee, calf, ankle because if I am not losing weight, I am probably losing inches

Same, I also log in my measurements.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning as soon as I get out of the shower. It keeps me focused on the task of weight loss. I look forward to every day to see if there is a loss. It's my reward for suffering through not eating.
  • Chelseraptor
    Chelseraptor Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I can't help myself - I have to look every single morning, first thing. I like seeing how it fluctuates, and to figure out how that may be effected by my sleep, diet, time of the month, etc. I only count my weight once a week, though.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a scale handy in the begining. I just went with the scale from my postpartum check-ups. Of course the 10 pound losses at a time were pretty exciting.

I prefer to weigh myself the same time of day around a week after my TOM when all the bloating is gone.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning as soon as I get out of the shower. It keeps me focused on the task of weight loss. I look forward to every day to see if there is a loss. It's my reward for suffering through not eating.

I don't think that would work for me! My wet hair has to add some poundage! Haha
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself daily but it caused major anxiety and I became obsessed with the scale. It got so bad that depending on what the scale read, that number would determine my mood for the whole day..perhaps even couple of days. Finally I decided to stop weighing myself and just go by how I feel and look in the mirror. I feel less stressed and Im not obssessing over every pound. When I like what I see in the mirror and when I reach a certain size then I will jump on that scale. I refuse to let the scale run my life.

Not for everyone but it works for me :)
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and record every day. Weighing and recording on a regular basis, whether it's every Tuesday or every day or on the first Friday of every month is the only way I can think of to get an accurate history of your progress and what affects it. I like daily because it provides a very clear record of gains and losses which you can correlate to certain conditions, i.e. do I gain every time I run 5 miles but not after I only run 3, do I gain a week before the TOM, do I lose every time my sodium was below X amount for Y days, and so on.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Just recently started MFP 11 days ago.
    I am thinking of weighing in every two weeks, or when I feel as though I have lost at least 2 lbs.