Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.
Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Advanced meal planning

I am on a diet that requires a set amount of macros and total calories.

Hitting the goals have been a hit and miss, for various reasons: forgetting to buy some foods, eating or not eating a certain food for a meal, missing an ingredient in a dish etc.

Finally, I realized that it's possible to log foods for future dates. With that, I experimented by adding a new meal called "Planned" and logging future foods there until the goals were achieved:

4uon2n6ku7nb.jpeg

Then, on the actual day, I move the foods from Planned meal to the actual meal. The Planned list additionally serves as a precise shopping list.

This way of doing planning has a lot of shortcomings, of course:
  • moving items one by one from meal to meal is tedious
  • foods that occur more than ones in the day appear as one food of total daily amount
  • smart copy does not apply to any meal
  • planning the day means tweaking the food amounts a lot, which is difficult due switching between day view and food edit screens over and over
  • planning macros/calories by meal is very hard – practically impossible because of how long it takes

It would be incredibly helpful if MyFitnessPal provided support for such future planning. Perhaps foods can be logged in the future and ticked off as consumed. Being able to tweak food amounts without leaving the day view (e.g. with an amount slider) would make planning that much easier.
4 votes

Open for Voting · Last Updated