Nutrition Facts Question

Options
This is a very specific question about something that I JUST noticed...and it's burning a hole in my brain....

I have a package of Krave Pork Rinds (chili lime flavor)...on the back it says that a serving size is 1/2 oz. It states that there are 8 grams of protein in a serving, but then next to it (where the percent of your daily value would typically be listed) it says "not a significant source of protein".
--> but doesn't this math add up to like...64oz of protein for 4oz?

How is that NOT a 'significant' source of protein?

Just Tuesday questions banging around in my head I guess, lol.

Replies

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    For reference....4oz of chicken breast only has ~35 grams of protein.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    nm. carry on, I found the label online.

I guess....let it go? :lol: I kind of find it hard to believe that there actually IS 8g of protein in a 0.5 ounce serving. I mean. It's mostly fat. Maybe the protein amount is 8g for the bag...and they mislabeled it.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I think what they mean is that the protein in pork rinds aren't a good source because they don't have the same amount of essential amino acids that say a different source of protein might have, like the chicken breast. In other words, don't count it towards your protein you need per day. You get the protein, but not the kind that your body needs. If that makes any sense. I'm not a doctor nor play one on tv

ETA: What ^^^ @paints5555 ^^^ said. We must have been typing at the same time. They said it much better than I did!
  • westrich20940
    Options
    Thanks people. Now I will be able to sleep tonight, LOL. It makes sense that it would be referring to the amino acid profile. I do think that they should add the word 'quality' to that little note then, bc it was very confusing to me.

Thanks. I'm not that worried but it was just one of those things you know hahaha.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I like pork rinds for a snack every now and again. They give me that salty crunchy taste/texture I crave with no carbs unlike regular chips. But I weigh and log them so I don't go over in fat.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Hey I learned something today. I didn't know that about the collagen/amino acids in pork rinds - or ^^what they said.

I have tasted fried pork rinds maybe one or two times and didn't go back for more so I'm obviously not very well versed. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Yes, thanks for that insight! I didn't know that protein quality could affect the labeling, either. It surprised me enough to hear that that - ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ˜† - I went down the rabbit hole looking for details of how that all works. If anyone else likes rabbit holes, the details are here, for USA labeling:

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-21/chapter-I/subchapter-B/part-101#p-101.9(c)(7)
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    seems like labeling may be a problem. A local favorite here, Husmans Porkies, claims 80 calories for 80g. I doubt that claim.

https://www.innit.com/nutrition/husmans-crunchy-and-tasty-pork-skins/p/00041632011255
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    seems like labeling may be a problem. A local favorite here, Husmans Porkies, claims 80 calories for 80g. I doubt that claim.

https://www.innit.com/nutrition/husmans-crunchy-and-tasty-pork-skins/p/00041632011255

I would assume that 80g for a serving of pork rinds of any brand is a typo. Probably a mistake when entering the info into the website.
  • westrich20940
    Options
    Yes, thanks for that insight! I didn't know that protein quality could affect the labeling, either. It surprised me enough to hear that that - ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ˜† - I went down the rabbit hole looking for details of how that all works. If anyone else likes rabbit holes, the details are here, for USA labeling:

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-21/chapter-I/subchapter-B/part-101#p-101.9(c)(7)

Right!? Luckily I don't keep the pork rinds around bc I think I can get my protein from them -- just a good porky/salty/crunchy snack. Dopamine please and thankyou, lol. But it was so interesting to look into all of this. Like at least they're essentially saying, "Hey idiot...don't use this to get your protein" but not giving you enough information really. Like, add ONE more sentence to your asterisk. Labeling laws are so convoluted anyway - their utility could be so much better.