Replies

• DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    My friend skullshank can help with that
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Another cardio recommendation is Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I'm 40 years old and had typical "Mom" arms when I started: (big all around, no definition and the flabby underside when I'd wave.) The 30 Day Shred workout only takes 30 minutes to do, but it combines both cardio and strength training. It will help burn away your fat while strengthening your muscle. You do need to stick to your MFP calorie limit too, (no exercise alone will burn away all your fat).

My arms are not perfect now, but I have distinct muscle definition in my shoulders, biceps and triceps. The underarm jiggle has lessened greatly and I am in hopes that with continued weight loss and exercise that it will soon be gone.

Cardio is great for endurance. 30DS is Cardio/Endurance. It isn't strength training and you need strength training for body recomposition.

Actual strength programs:

(With free weights):
    AllPros
    Stronglifts
    Wendler 5/3/1
    Starting Strengh

(Bodyweight):
    Convict Conditioning
    NerdFitness
    You Are Your Own Gym

Other:
    Sandbag training
    TRX Suspension
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? A 22 year-old female who is currently 130 pounds looking to get to 110 probably does not actually have flabby arms. Lift weights, get happy with your body.
  • catwoman_leo
    Options
    How tall are you? A 22 year-old female who is currently 130 pounds looking to get to 110 probably does not actually have flabby arms. Lift weights, get happy with your body.
    i am 5.2'..arms arms 12 inches :cry:
  • PikaKnight
    Options

It depends on body fat % too. If she has a high bf%, she's could be "flabby" and should look into weight training/heavy lifting.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    i am 5.2'..arms arms 12 inches :cry:

Can you post picture please
  • pelles
    pelles Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use this rope machine at the gym-

http://www.bigfitness.com/hpqoryx.html#.Uh5fSn7D_5o

bigfit_2271_42926403

There are seven different strength settings. So far, the best I can do is a level three. I do 1 minute of level 1, then level 2, level 3 and back down. So a total of five minutes, with a rest and stretch between each set. It is really working my arms and I think it is making a visible difference.

PS - Hope the picture & link work
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I am not so sure about the lift heavy advice. When I was much, MUCH younger (in my early 20's), I did a lot of heavy lifting and my arms got pretty big. I had to alter all my uniform shirts because my arms didn't fit. Well, later all that muscle turned to flab and now I have huge bat wings. Are the two things connected? Not sure but I really think so. Of course, I gained a lot of weight too, so that didn't help.

I have been swimming laps 30 minutes a day for the last few months and I think I can see a little improvement. Not all in the bat wing area, but there is SOME muscle starting to appear down there. I can feel it when I push up on the squishy part. Also, my wrists and lower arms are much better. I used to have a little roll of fat at my wrist and that is completely gone.

So, maybe you could try swimming, but it takes a long time, no matter what you do.
  • sdauback
    sdauback Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had terrible flabby arms...I started doing BodyPump (group weight lifting/training class) and cardio kickboxing and really put my all into the punches/jabs/crosses, etc. and I've now begun to notice some difference. I think I'll have to live with some of it, though, due to genetics. Overall reduction in weight/body fat will certainly help.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I am not so sure about the lift heavy advice. When I was much, MUCH younger (in my early 20's), I did a lot of heavy lifting and my arms got pretty big. I had to alter all my uniform shirts because my arms didn't fit. Well, later all that muscle turned to flab and now I have huge bat wings. Are the two things connected? Not sure but I really think so. Of course, I gained a lot of weight too, so that didn't help.

I'm pretty sure the muscle didn't turn to flab. It was the gaining of weight.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Well, later all that muscle turned to flab.

nope.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

You must have been an extremely special snowflake because it just isn't that easy for the normal female to pack on appreciable muscle mass.

Oh...and muscle doesn't turn to fat, nor can fat turn to muscle.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Aw, I really like being a special snowflake!
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My personal experience, having lost significant weight through regularly lifting heavy (last time) and rarely lifting heavy (this time until a few weeks ago) is that the only effect lifting has that might seem like it makes a difference is that post workout full muscle look - if the muscle looks fuller, the arm fat looks like it is proportionally less. Other than that I think it just comes down fat loss over time, but I can't be certain until I have been lifting a bit longer - comparing between progress pics this time and last time, I can't really tell why my chest and stomach appear to be different despite measurements being similar.

The one thing I do know is that I will still have flabby arms (assuming by that you mean that, errr... how to describe... the fat hangs down if you hold your arm out the side parallel to the floor with the thumb angled towards the ceiling) when I hit 176 lb (~20%BF). The math might say I only have 27 pounds of fat left to lose (at 176 lb that'll be 21 lb remaining) until I am lean, but I think it is a case of waiting until I see the results (both Bod Pod and DOD/Navy formula are in agreement, but until I know what I look like at 155 lb it's a bit hard to believe that is all I have left to lose).

ETA: Not sure if I came across properly. Lifting heavy might help aesthetically, but it won't reduce the fat. Reducing body fat and lifting heavy will likely have the best aesthetic results, and you might visually appear to be getting closer sooner.
This discussion has been closed.