You don't have to do it well, or 'correctly' - you just need to DO IT.

Options
Time and again I see long term posters hammering on using a food scale, picking the right entries, being as accurate as you possibly can. I don't disagree with them. These are good things to do and will help you have the most predictable results - and if you're hitting a stall (of more than 6 weeks) these are the places you need to start to figure out what's going on.

HOWEVER.

Logging your food with cups and spoons and eyeballed estimates or someone else's recipe is better than not logging your food. Odds are very, very good that if you are very overweight or obese, that you have a big enough deficit AND a high enough calorie allowance that you will neither eat so little as to make yourself ill OR so much overage that you won't lose at all.

You can tighten up the logging, add the exercise, work out the individual numbers for you, worry more about hitting your protein goals - some or none of those things - once you have hit a wall on loss or fitness or you just WANT to do more.

Doing it *consistently* ultimately matters more than doing it 'right'. DO IT BADLY every single day and you will get a heck of a lot further than doing it perfectly, getting frustrated and exhausted and quitting after a week.

Log all your food to the best of your ability/best guess/measurement with tools you don't find onerous to do. Move in some way you like. Just keep doing those things and if the rest of the 'right' sounds overwhelming or like work -- don't do that.

Doing it badly is better than not doing it.

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I agree you don't have to be obsessive about it but sometimes it's that closer scrutiny that helps people control themselves and stay committed. I once saw someone's diary that listed all kinds of spices, etc., and I could never be that committed or dedicated but if I try to eyeball too much or go a couple days without logging calories, I find myself teetering on the edge of getting way too lazy about it.
    But you're right, I don't log every single thing in exactly perfect, but I always come in lower than my allowed calories so I have a little margin for error. :)
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I agree you don't have to be obsessive about it but sometimes it's that closer scrutiny that helps people control themselves and stay committed. I once saw someone's diary that listed all kinds of spices, etc., and I could never be that committed or dedicated but if I try to eyeball too much or go a couple days without logging calories, I find myself teetering on the edge of getting way too lazy about it.
    But you're right, I don't log every single thing in exactly perfect, but I always come in lower than my allowed calories so I have a little margin for error. :)

Yeah, and I do think that sometimes you need to scrutinize more but starting from 'not looking at all' even knowing what your calorie limit is and rough amounts gets you going. Most people get closer as they go, and I think well-

Sort of that whole thing about '...if you can't manage a whole shower because you're super depressed, washing your face is a victory.'

And also some people are going to need a lot more precision than others to get to where they really want to be but starting at really overweight or obese, if they're not playing 'lowest entry I can find AND a cheat day' a little half-hearted research and middle of the road entries will get them SOME results. that 1000 calorie a day deficit for the more intense weight loss when you're very, very overweight leaves a lot of room for rounding errors over time, even if they were all UNDERestimating and they're usually not.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,636 Member
    Options
    I was just "doing it" before finding mfp. In fact I went looking for "something" because I was ready to give up on yet another "increase my activity while reducing my food intake" attempt back in 2014.

Just as I had eventually given up on many previous short lived or longer lived weight loss attempts.

You know the drill? Lose 10, 20, 30 lbs.... re-gain it all back within the year plus a bit more?

It is now 2022. What was different?

Well many things to be honest.

But the starting point was moving away from me just trying to eat as little as I could while moving as much as I could.

And focusing instead into making "smarter", more filling, more satiating, and more personally satisfying choices within an appropriately and more reasonably defined, reviewed, and adjusted as needed caloric budget.

Would a person who didn't log as accurately as me have been able to succeed?

Absolutely yes, if they were able to develop the self insights I was able to develop for myself because of logging.

Really, all you need to know is whether the scale is moving, as a trend, in the appropriate direction at an appropriate speed.

How you achieve that is up to you.

But there is quite a bit in the details.
    And I've seldom heard of people who require the degree of weight intervention you describe (as you don't seem to be taking about "vanity lbs") not having to do some work on developing self insights and strategies.

Does (accurate) logging have to be one of them?

No

But developing *sustainable to the individual* long term methods of achieving appropriate caloric balance does for anything but short term success
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Ahem.

I don't disagree with them. These are good things to do and will help you have the most predictable results - and if you're hitting a stall (of more than 6 weeks) these are the places you need to start to figure out what's going on.

You can tighten up the logging, add the exercise, work out the individual numbers for you, worry more about hitting your protein goals - some or none of those things - once you have hit a wall

So, yeah, I'd say it safe to say that while I didn't enormously elaborate given that half my post is literally 'better than nothing' and 'a good place to start' and 'this is where you go when you aren't having results' to a maybe three sentences of 'just do something' that I don't actually disagree with anyone.

But the lengthy discussion of points I glossed past is nice!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,160 Member
    Options
    Afterthought: Strictly speaking, you don't even have to "Do It" to lose weight, if "It" is calorie counting or food logging. It's useful, but optional.

I'm ancient, from the olden days, from times pre-apps when it was totally impractical to calorie count. (Some of us tried to look up calories in a little book to count them, in the 1970s, but it was ridiculous. Not sensibly achievable.)

But guess what? People lost weight, if they committed to it. They cut back their portion size, they avoided high-calorie foods (of course we knew generally what those were, even without knowing the exact numbers). Specifically, my dad lost weight that way, though that was probably in the 1980s, when he was in his 60s. I don't know how much he lost, but going from appearance, it was several tens of pounds, at least. And he kept it off, long term, thereafter - decades. No counting, no logging. Eat less, watch the scale, adjust: That's all.

For centuries, people have understood that if they fed livestock more, it got fatter, or if they fed it less, it leaned out; and they had an idea about how to shift more of that livestock's weight to muscle vs. fat (or the reverse). They could and did apply that knowledge to humans, when necessary. And we've known about calories since . . . hmm, I think it was at least mid/late 19th century? . . . even if it wasn't practical to count them.

I don't know why the so-called obesity crisis has come on, and accelerated, in parallel with semi-accurate calorie counting becoming a practical tool for regular people, but it has worked out that way. 🤷‍♀️
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I've never owned a food scale, and probably never will. And I agree with the "just do it" for many people. But it's highly individual as well. I tend to overestimate intake and underestimate exercise, simply as a byproduct of keeping myself honest. But others will do the opposite, maybe still thinking they are being just as honest.

But when I see absolutes in these discussions, I shy away from them usually. Because what works for some doesn't for others. I've seen so many absolutes that might be true for the person stating them, and matter little to many others.

But doing it badly is better than not doing it.... that I can agree with. We don't have to be perfect, we just have to make progress towards a goal.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    We don't have to 100% agree or disagree, opinions and discussion can matter so much in our lives. I love a good discussion to see what other people think, doesn't mean I have to take all of what they say and make it work for me. :) I'll always take what I can use and let somebody else handle the rest.

I have learned this though. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing approach. It doesn't have to be 100% all the time to make it to the goal line. But it cannot be only a 10% win either cause then it'll take you decades to get there and that's when frustration and impatience kick in, then one is apt to give in.

I had a challenging week last week, lots of eating out and ice cream. :/ I failed to count calories most of the week and never bothered to step on the scales either. With that reluctance to face the truth I also neglected walking most of those days. It was a week. Tomorrow morning will be my reckoning by stepping on the scale once again. Then I'll deal with it. The week wasn't a total disaster, just outside of my desirable realm of effort. I refuse to get so obsessed with every teaspoon of this or ounce of that. To ME, it takes the enjoyment out of eating, which I happen to enjoy. :) But that's how it's become for me. If I stray too far for too long, that's when I run into trouble. But for the most part, I will eyeball stuff and usually (hopefully) overestimate my calories or walk a little extra.
    But it all boils down to, ya gotta do what works for YOU!! :)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    @ReenieHJ some of the spices you see may be carrying over from logged “meals”.

I inlude spices when entering the master meal so I can make them again by just referring to the original entry. “Meals” are like recipe cards for many of us.

If you look at my Mon-Sat breakfast you’ll see fractional measurements of all kinds of whacko stuff In my pancakes because I usually eat .2 or .25 servings.

Same for the Greek salad I’ve prelogged for lunch.

😘
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,160 Member
    Options
    I actually do log spices (or other low/zero calorie foods) sometimes, for two reasons. Sometimes, it's on account of wanting to look back at eating patterns so I don't have to try to remember. For example, for a while I was trying to increase culinary turmeric, then to see how much I happily ate, think about whether it would make sense to try supplementing.

The more common reason, probably, though is that I do better if I just log everything on autopilot, without turning it into a decision every time. It's psychologically annoying to me to turn every ingredient into a "enough to count?" decision, plus I'm much less likely to forget to weigh/log things I really want to be accurate about personally (like oils) if I'm simply logging everything automatically. I'm just not that mindful, when it comes to small stuff - I prefer autopilot.

The idea that doing this is some kind of obsessive, tightly controlling, or tightly disciplined behavior isn't universally accurate. I'm sure it would be for some, and that's fine. For me (and possibly some others, dunno), it's just the easiest and least stressful route to logging.

We don't see inside other people's heads. Looking at their behavior, and inferring that their reasons for doing X are the same reasons we'd have or need in order to do X . . . shaky, IMO.
  • ReenieHJ
    edited February 2022
    Options
    @ReenieHJ some of the spices you see may be carrying over from logged “meals”.

I inlude spices when entering the master meal so I can make them again by just referring to the original entry. “Meals” are like recipe cards for many of us.

If you look at my Mon-Sat breakfast you’ll see fractional measurements of all kinds of whacko stuff In my pancakes because I usually eat .2 or .25 servings.

Same for the Greek salad I’ve prelogged for lunch.

😘

Oh I never thought of that. :) Thank you and Ann for enlightening me. I just assumed they were counting calories. :/ Makes good sense now.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I’m someone who enters spices too, but I am doing it to count the calories rather than to provide a recipe for the future. Some spices are more calorific than others, admittedly, but they all do have some. If I’m making a complex dish it can have a significant (for me - even in maintenance) number of calories from the spices alone. Sometimes more than the calories of the main ingredients since I’m always making vegetarian dishes.

I’m also with Ann, in that I find it less problematic to just enter everything than pick and choose what’s worth it. The only thing I don’t ‘count’ is salt and fresh ground black pepper (except when the black pepper is the main spice, used by the multiple tablespoonful in some curries - then it is something I do count). 🤷‍♀️
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Time and again I see long term posters hammering on using a food scale, picking the right entries, being as accurate as you possibly can. I don't disagree with them. These are good things to do and will help you have the most predictable results - and if you're hitting a stall (of more than 6 weeks) these are the places you need to start to figure out what's going on.

HOWEVER.

Logging your food with cups and spoons and eyeballed estimates or someone else's recipe is better than not logging your food. Odds are very, very good that if you are very overweight or obese, that you have a big enough deficit AND a high enough calorie allowance that you will neither eat so little as to make yourself ill OR so much overage that you won't lose at all.

You can tighten up the logging, add the exercise, work out the individual numbers for you, worry more about hitting your protein goals - some or none of those things - once you have hit a wall on loss or fitness or you just WANT to do more.

Doing it *consistently* ultimately matters more than doing it 'right'. DO IT BADLY every single day and you will get a heck of a lot further than doing it perfectly, getting frustrated and exhausted and quitting after a week.

Log all your food to the best of your ability/best guess/measurement with tools you don't find onerous to do. Move in some way you like. Just keep doing those things and if the rest of the 'right' sounds overwhelming or like work -- don't do that.

Looks like this person has done it, I'm going to soften your "badly" to "not as accurately as possible" and is extremely frustrated about only losing 6 pounds last year. What advice would you give her?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10857034/need-advice-on