Manipulating the Calories Remaining Calculation

Is there a way to manipulate the Exercise credit to the Calories Remaining Calculation? I would like to not quite get full credit, but say 0.50 to 0.75 of the exercise calorie credit reported to MFP by my FitBit. I don't entirely trust the calorie estimate from the FitBit and would like to modify the value in the form of a fractional multiplier (0.5, 0.75, 0.90, etc.)
Tagged:

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member
    Is there a way to manipulate the Exercise credit to the Calories Remaining Calculation? I would like to not quite get full credit, but say 0.50 to 0.75 of the exercise calorie credit reported to MFP by my FitBit. I don't entirely trust the calorie estimate from the FitBit and would like to modify the value in the form of a fractional multiplier (0.5, 0.75, 0.90, etc.)

Not exactly that, I believe.

When adding exercise by hand, you can edit the calories assigned, but I don't believe that's possible with a synched device.

Premium MFP gives you more control over exercise calories (not sure if it affects synched calories, because I don't synch my Garmin), but those controls don't include a percentage option, I believe. (You can tell MFP not to add exercise calories even when you log some, or allocate the exercise calories to macros in different percentages than the percentages used for your base calories. Those are the only Premium options I know about.)

You could use a fake food entry to offset some of your exercise calories, but that wouldn't be automatic.

Maybe someone else has a better idea, or more knowledge . . . .

P.S. If you run a trial for a month or so, just eating your calories from Fitbit, you'll get a better idea of whether they're accurate for you or not. Personally, I'd expect Fitbit calories to be reasonably close for most people, a bit high or low for some, and surprisingly far off for a very rare few . . . because that's the nature of statistical estimates, generally. Most people are close to average, by definition. For those who aren't average, the reason(s) may not be obvious.

Keep in mind that if your exercise calories (or base calories, for that matter) are inaccurate for you, they can be estimated too low as well as estimated too high. The reason I don't synch my Garmin - though I like it for other things - is that it estimates all-day calories crazy-low for me, even though the same brand/model is reasonable and close for others who've posted here about it. (It's hundreds of calories off, for me - 25-30% low. That's quite unusual, but it can happen.)
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 906 Member
    I'm not sure there is a way to do that.

Why don't you trust your Fitbit? Are you gaining or losing unexpectedly based on what it's giving you? That's honestly going to be the best way to know whether it's accurate or not.

You could un-sync and then use your Fitbit estimate for calories burned for your workouts and manually put in however many calories you want (i.e. you could put in only 75% of the exercise calories your Fitbit said).

But, I guess the first thing to know is: Is your Fitbit inaccurate, and is it high/low, and by ~how much...then adjust from there.