PRP Therapy Injections

Options
Anyone got any experience with PRP injections for muscle pain?

Pros, cons, happy, disappointed?

I’ve had a couple of rounds of physical therapy for ischia strain, but this most recent time it’s more painful and it freaking hurts to sit.

It seems like most of the therapy techniques are pretty much what I already do in daily workouts, so I don’t really see how I’m strengthening that area any more than it already is, although the dry needling and massage gun they do help temporarily.

Considering PRP to get some relief. Have had discomfort at varying levels for six or seven years and just want it to be gone.

Doctor advises against cortisone. Says I won’t be happy with the results in that location.

And for short term relief, has anyone found anything to sit on that doesn’t feel like your pelvic bone is being rammed up your backside?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    No personal experience with either PRP or ischia strain.

However, I recently had a lidocaine injection for shoulder pain that worked instantly and had no side effects. I saw a physiatrist for this.
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My sciatica was a result of muscle imbalances that started with supination of my feet. Just the chain reaction. I almost never have bouts of pain anymore. My correction was better ankle mobility and careful choices picking footwear. It's kind of a shot in the dark, but maybe a mobility assessment would be revealing. I feel for you though...it is a special kind of pain.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Literally. Different issue as I have scar tissue on the ischial tuberosity from a bad fall downstairs in '05 but prolonged sitting is agony, especially on hard surfaces.

No solutions other than doing the physio stretches, which helped somewhat initially as the hamstring on my right leg had gotten involved so at least that loosened up. I have multiple cushions in the truck for longer drives. One of the most effective is technically a back support cushion so you may want to look beyond the typical seat cushions.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Off topic, but are you/ they sure it’s not a herniated disc this go-round? The pain is similar to sciatica and can cause spasms like piriformis pain, and can get worse with sitting and forward bending. Just checking in, because it’s your familiar pain, except… it isn’t this time… I was fooled in a similar situation once. Would hate to have you go down that road too.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    @Cheesy567 You’re so sweet. Thanks for your concern.

It’s overuse and overstretch. Or as my PT says, irritation leads to additional irritation leads to irritation pain.

I have this idiotic need to stretch further than anyone else, master “all the binds”, and a fuzzy notion that nose to ground is surely better than nose to knee. It feels amazing and energizing in the moment but then I regret it later.

It’s like a stupid “I may be a former fatty but I’ll show you” belief that I should be trying harder than anyone else, whatever it is I’m doing. Which is ridiculous because so few students are left after Covid who remember fat me and no one else would know unless I tell them.

I guess you could say the same lack of off switch for eating rears it’s ugly head in workouts. It’s just caught up with me real good this time.

On the plus side, after 40 minutes of the massage jackhammer (massage “gun” hardly does it justice) I can sit today. All I need is an elf to follow me around to hit me on demand.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options

It’s overuse and overstretch. Or as my PT says, irritation leads to additional irritation leads to irritation pain.

I have this idiotic need to stretch further than anyone else, master “all the binds”, and a fuzzy notion that nose to ground is surely better than nose to knee. It feels amazing and energizing in the moment but then I regret it later.

It’s like a stupid “I may be a former fatty but I’ll show you” belief that I should be trying harder than anyone else, whatever it is I’m doing. Which is ridiculous because so few students are left after Covid who remember fat me and no one else would know unless I tell them.

I guess you could say the same lack of off switch for eating rears it’s ugly head in workouts. It’s just caught up with me real good this time.

On the plus side, after 40 minutes of the massage jackhammer (massage “gun” hardly does it justice) I can sit today. All I need is an elf to follow me around to hit me on demand.

Since that seems to help, have you tried rolling on a lacrosse ball (small, hard). They can get into some tight places that foam rollers & such can't, and are much . . . less gentle? . . . than a tennis ball. Helps me, with some things, but not with everything.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Since that seems to help, have you tried rolling on a lacrosse ball (small, hard). They can get into some tight places that foam rollers & such can't, and are much . . . less gentle? . . . than a tennis ball. Helps me, with some things, but not with everything.

I keep meaning to hit the neighbor kid up for a worn out one. But he’s always at practice, lol.

I do a figure 4 thing where you cradle your foot up to your chest and roll directly on it. That’s super super intense.

PT gave me some stuff to do immediately before a yoga class, which is helping. I’m also taking a knee instead of doing high lunges, bending my knees deeply during salutations, and putting a block in my lap to prevent me from forward folding. What I need is someone with a club standing behind me in case I forget. Like a mat-class mafioso threatening the back of my knees with a bat.

It just takes one opportunity to do a flying pigeon and I’m like “oh hell yeah!” And that seems to be the peak pose in everrrrry class this week.

I honestly wonder where the line is between an exercise disorder versus feeling like I need to be in motion all the time. I’ve added several aquafit classes per week to an already crazy schedule because it makes hubs so happy for me to do it with him. And yet, I read a book every day or two and have finished a quarter of a needlepoint pillow in a week. So I’m sitting, too. Sometimes I feel like the fuse on a firecracker.

No wonder I’m always complaining about something or other aching or hurting but I just. can’t. stop.