Kettle Ball to purchase

Options
I will be new to kettle ball and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for kettle ball they use and like the design.

I have just started to look at kettle balls and seems like there is a wide spectrum of design and price.

Would a kettle ball which allows you to change the weight be a good investment? Is there a specific brand or feature that I should consider?

Looking at starting with 18LB to 20LB kettle ball. Any suggestions for consideration in purchase would be greatly appreciated.

BTW Female 53, 5'5"

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I'm not a kettlebell expert, but do have a couple that I use.

If you're buying online, I hope someone may have specific brand recommendations. I bought mine in person, and the size, shape, and feel of the handle made a big difference, among some I tried. (This may be a bigger deal for me, because despite also being a 5'5" female, I have gigantic hands - size 10 ring finger even when thin, a size most women's rings don't even come in, just to give you a sense.) On some, the loop was uncomfortably small. Also, I have picked up some cheaper ones to get a feel in a store, and shockingly found the handle to be rough: Not good.

If you're using these at home, give some thought to location: They can fly in the direction of swing occasionally, or be dropped. I use mine, if indoors, on a thick rug atop a solid floor, and swing toward my futon couch so if it slips it'll hit heavy cushions, not a wall.

I have a 15lb and a 25lb, but I'm older than you (66), not a big strength trainer, plus have some hip and back issues. Even though I don't use them often for classic kettlebell exercises, I'm cautious about the potential for setback-causing injuries, so am probably over-cautious. It's kind of like freeweights, in one sense: You might like heavier weight for exercises that use big muscles, lighter for those that use smaller muscles, loosely speaking; if you're buying just one (which is a good thing at the start), consider which exercises are your priority. I don't know anything about the adjustable ones.

Be sure to understand and master the basic movements (swings powered from hips/core, not arms, for example), if you're new to this. I took a class at my Y, pre-pandemic.
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I was going to order on line, but now I think I will take a look in person. Not too many store options in my area, but I should be able to come up with a couple.

Wowza, I did not realize they could really run upward in price. Will have to wait until Thursday.
    Thanks Again.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I'd not use adjustable ones because they tend to be bigger, maybe contain not very durable plastic parts. You don't want to swing something big, and not something potentially moving (if only slightly) but something one-piece solid. Think about the right weights. a 4kg kettlebell is useless even for a beginner. Also look up and read up on how to use them properly, and which muscles to engage. It's easy to get injured if you do it incorrectly.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I prefer buying separate sizes. Ensure they are powder coated and from a reputable company.

Proform had a 3 piece set at a decent price. Stamina makes a nice adjustable one (up to 36 lbs) for a good price (around $100) and it's made well. I have the Apex and don't like it (can come unscrewed). I don't like the handle on the Rogue or the Bowflex -- they just aren't great KB handles -- I'm talking their adjustable handles.

Start smaller and work up with them. Also, size depends on what you want to do with them.

For instance, smaller are great for shoulder press ups or Turkish Getups (you really want to watch form on any KB moves). You want larger ones for swings. Depends on your current strength and ability.

I started with 25 lb ones and now I have a 70 lb one for swings. I just bought the smallest one first, then a larger one and then the largest one. I have 3 that are fixed weight and had two adjustable -- I gave one of the smaller adjustables away to my daughter.

Be very careful -- there are some idiotic trainers out there with KBs, including some very popular ones (Bob Harper, Jillian Michaels, Fitness Blender all have TERRIBLE form on videos and dangerous tapes out there!). Fitness Blender has a Tabata video that is just horrific. Bob Harper has one where it's an hour and 10 minutes -- no one should ever do KBs for 70 minutes. Just insanity. Don't get me started on how bad Jillian's tapes are.

This is a funny video of a KB expert watching her KB tapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-udoNHPPPr8
  • yirara
    Options
    OMG
    I prefer buying separate sizes. Ensure they are powder coated and from a reputable company.

Proform had a 3 piece set at a decent price. Stamina makes a nice adjustable one (up to 36 lbs) for a good price (around $100) and it's made well. I have the Apex and don't like it (can come unscrewed). I don't like the handle on the Rogue or the Bowflex -- they just aren't great KB handles -- I'm talking their adjustable handles.

Start smaller and work up with them. Also, size depends on what you want to do with them.

For instance, smaller are great for shoulder press ups or Turkish Getups (you really want to watch form on any KB moves). You want larger ones for swings. Depends on your current strength and ability.

I started with 25 lb ones and now I have a 70 lb one for swings. I just bought the smallest one first, then a larger one and then the largest one. I have 3 that are fixed weight and had two adjustable -- I gave one of the smaller adjustables away to my daughter.

Be very careful -- there are some idiotic trainers out there with KBs, including some very popular ones (Bob Harper, Jillian Michaels, Fitness Blender all have TERRIBLE form on videos and dangerous tapes out there!). Fitness Blender has a Tabata video that is just horrific. Bob Harper has one where it's an hour and 10 minutes -- no one should ever do KBs for 70 minutes. Just insanity. Don't get me started on how bad Jillian's tapes are.

This is a funny video of a KB expert watching her KB tapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-udoNHPPPr8

OMG!
  • AnnPT77
    edited March 2022
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I'd not use adjustable ones because they tend to be bigger, maybe contain not very durable plastic parts. You don't want to swing something big, and not something potentially moving (if only slightly) but something one-piece solid. Think about the right weights. a 4kg kettlebell is useless even for a beginner. Also look up and read up on how to use them properly, and which muscles to engage. It's easy to get injured if you do it incorrectly.

I'd quibble with that, speaking as a small older woman with some iffy joints. It matters who that user is, and what exercises they're going to do, as a beginner. I'm not the weakest li'l ol' lady ever, and the 15 pound KB (roughly 4 kg) is useful to me for some smaller muscle stuff.

One of the great things about KB is that it's dynamic, potentially even explosive, with the physics of the object in (fast-ish) motion affecting one's body. That's also one of the risk points, for anyone with any joint or connective tissue issues, or who starts out with too aggressive a weight.

I'm perfectly willing to believe 4kg is useless to you. I have no idea where it would fit in the picture for OP, about whom I know nothing. It's useful to me, for some things. I'm quite confident it would be useful to some others, but I have no idea how many.

ETA (cranky): It irritates me in other context to see "don't use pink barbie weights", and this is similar. If pink "barbie weights" are challenging to a particular individual, put them on a path of progress, then they should use them. Ditto for light KB. I also do hate to see people (who usually are women or aging or both) let extremes of fear limit their progress. Finding the right spot, challenging but reasonably safe, is very individual. Wherever that is for an individual is just great, where they should be.

OP, your idea of checking some out in person is a good one, to get a feel for your personal sweet spot weight-wise. (Watch some recommended technique videos first, if you haven't yet, to get an idea what you'll be doing with them.) Here, it can take some looking here to find heavier KB on store shelves, the very light ones are more widely sold locally. Don't know whether that will be true for you, or not. Sporting goods big box stores are the likeliest to have a good range of weights, here.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited March 2022
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'd quibble with that, speaking as a small older woman with some iffy joints. It matters who that user is, and what exercises they're going to do, as a beginner. I'm not the weakest li'l ol' lady ever, and the 15 pound KB (roughly 4 kg) is useful to me for some smaller muscle stuff.

One of the great things about KB is that it's dynamic, potentially even explosive, with the physics of the object in (fast-ish) motion affecting one's body. That's also one of the risk points, for anyone with any joint or connective tissue issues, or who starts out with too aggressive a weight.

I'm perfectly willing to believe 4kg is useless to you. I have no idea where it would fit in the picture for OP, about whom I know nothing. It's useful to me, for some things. I'm quite confident it would be useful to some others, but I have no idea how many.

I agree Ann. Certain things like pressups or Turkish Getups require lighter KBs. Starting out, 8 kg would even be too heavy for most beginners. Get the form right, then add weight when you're absolutely sure you're doing it right.

Pavel Tstouestine (I'm probably slaughtering that -- edited, I was, it's Tsatsouline) and Dan John are probably the best in terms of form videos.
  • yirara
    Options
    No, you're right. There's probably a place for very light kettlebells. 4kg is not 15lbs though but 8.8.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    No, you're right. There's probably a place for very light kettlebells. 4kg is not 15lbs though but 8.8.

Thanks for the correction. I can't arithmetic, ever, though I'm mysteriously good at actual applied math. (Times tables in my head, carrying the one - that stuff gets me every time. Gimme spreadsheet! 😆).

Unrelated to my reply to yirara: Mike makes a good point about TGU. I can't really do them (specific individual knee issues), but for those who can, it can be smart to start with no weight at all, just the motion. I've seen strong guys here do that when resuming after a long hiatus, even, and it wasn't because they totally couldn't handle the weight. Form is essential in most KB work, but particularly true with TGU.
  • fatty2begone
    Options
    Hey All, Thanks for the comments and info. I have looked at some videos, but will watch some of the ones suggested later.
    And BTW, I now realize it is kettlebell. Ha Ha, I really thought it was kettle ball. So yes, I am very green looking to become seasoned. :D

And thanks for dropping in on the "kettle ball" thread
  • yirara
    Options
    Oh yes, I love TGUs! It's one of those exercises I love kettlebells for. And yes, they can own you. And could, potentially be a good opportunity to drop something very heavy on your head. :# Better start light with these, or without weight.
  • fatty2begone
    Options
    So I went to 3 stores today, one had very limited supply nothing under 35lb, one had some supply but not a one priced or a marker seen, and no one around to ask. (just left). Last stop had limited also, no 20lb (must be popular) although I was able to pick up a 25lb.

After watching multiple videos, I completed 5 sets of 10 squat swings and standing swings. My squat is not as low as the correct form shown. I just don't have the stability yet, but hopefully a low squat will come with time. I can feel it in my stomach and upper arms mostly, some in the muscles surrounding the knees. Didn't feel much in my thighs or butt, but hopefully when I am able to squat lower that will change.

Just wanted to drop in for update as I have officially started using the kettlebell and can't wait to increase sets and exercises.

I will do some reading and review various workouts to get a program started.

Thanks to all who have commented and were very helpful.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Please be cautious. I would keep trying to lighten the weight if I were you. Even Walmart has a set of 3 for like $30. I wouldn't start out over 8 lbs if I were you. And work, work, work on correct form.

When you say "squat swings", it makes me wonder what videos you're using. Swings really aren't squats. There's a swing version called the "American KB Swing", which in my honest opinion, was a name made up by American trainers that didn't know how to do a proper KB swing. It should engage your glutes and use your hips to drive the KB up. And you should really, really watch your back and make sure it's straight, like in a deadlift.

The only squat I'd be doing is bodyweight to start out and, in my opinion, Goblet Squats are the safest. Eventually (not now), you can add weight to your Goblet Squats, but don't do that right away. Holding a very light KB while you're doing Goblet Squats is a great way to build strength, but you shouldn't be doing that now.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Please be cautious. I would keep trying to lighten the weight if I were you. Even Walmart has a set of 3 for like $30. I wouldn't start out over 8 lbs if I were you. And work, work, work on correct form.

When you say "squat swings", it makes me wonder what videos you're using. Swings really aren't squats. There's a swing version called the "American KB Swing", which in my honest opinion, was a name made up by American trainers that didn't know how to do a proper KB swing. It should engage your glutes and use your hips to drive the KB up. And you should really, really watch your back and make sure it's straight, like in a deadlift.

The only squat I'd be doing is bodyweight to start out and, in my opinion, Goblet Squats are the safest. Eventually (not now), you can add weight to your Goblet Squats, but don't do that right away. Holding a very light KB while you're doing Goblet Squats is a great way to build strength, but you shouldn't be doing that now.

Underscoring Mike's comment on the swings: 100% agree. The normal KB swings should be powered from the hips, not be squat-like (they can have a squat "look" because knees bend, but they feel completely different).

@fatty2begone, you can be doing swings right, and not necessarily have soreness/DOMS afterward. That's more about how new certain stresses are to one's body.

However, during standard swings, you should absolutely feel your glutes engaging and working to do the hip movement Mike describes. Underactive glutes are a common problem in our modern sedentary world, potentially including a certain lack of - not sure this is the right term - kinesthetic sense about whether they're working or not.

There exist glute activation exercises, or pre-exercises to "find" the glutes, if you think this could be an issue for you. With apologies, I don't have specific ones to recommend to you.

KB exercises are great, but - partly because of the explosive nature of some of them - do have some risks. I don't want to scare you off from them, though!
  • fatty2begone
    Options
    @MikePfirrman and @AnnPT77

Below are two of the videos I have book marked for starting kettlebell form and exercises. The 1st clip are the two exercises I have completed. If they indicated what the exercise is called, I didn't notice so I described the exercise with squat and standing. Yes, not a true squat. This >>"Underscoring Mike's comment on the swings: 100% agree. The normal KB swings should be powered from the hips, not be squat-like (they can have a squat "look" because knees bend, but they feel completely different)."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHxcTn1UeAc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI8ES4jRcPk

I felt like I had good control of the 25lb kettlebell. I read not to go to light and most recommended 20lb. Is there real concern that the 25lb kettlebell too heavy for the two moves shown above? (Two hands only at this time.) (30lb to 35lb arm presses/lifts on the bowflex currently only been about 3 weeks since start).

I have been using the bowflex for arm strength exercises only, but after reading some other forms and watching some videos, I am thinking I might like the kettlebell better. If not, I will return to the bowflex for off running days. Mostly to add some upper body strength, but to overall "tone" and condition the entire body. My weight is mostly equally distributed, meaning I am fat everywhere, but when I am at a healthy weight, my legs tend to hold on to the fat more, being the last place to lose. I usually have a narrow waist, although now at 53 who knows? For vanity purposes, if I "rock" the legs it's a bonus, not my main point of focus at this point though.

I definitely do not want to injure myself so I will be starting out slow, conservative with sets and reps. My intention is to complete this 2 to 3 times a week. I run 3 times a week. So Alternate running and kettlebell with 1 to 2 days off. (Walk the dog 7 days a week for 1 to 3 miles).

I don't have fitness club or personal trainers in my area. Very rural small town... (nearest small town grocery store 15 miles away)

I truly appreciate your replies.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    The KB is great. It's my favorite thing to use, but so is a rower - and I had terrible form at both to start!!

Those look to be good tapes. I'd just start a bit lower until you really feel like you have it. There's never any harm in starting out too light. For comparison, I'm a 195 lb guy and started with a 20 lb adjustable KB (20 lbs being the top weight). Now, my 52 lb currently feels light to me and I normally work with a 70 lb one (32 kg), but if I had started, even with the 52 lb one, with the mistakes I made to start out, I would have surely hurt myself.

It's OK to start very light and progress.
  • yirara
    Options
    Inspired by this thread I dusted my kettlebells (and cleaned my whole flat thoroughly) and did a workout I used to do ages ago. It's overall a bit stupid and unbalanced, but got me something to do. Yay, I can still do Turkish Get Ups (without weight). One thing is certain: this workout hit A LOT OF muscles. Hardly managed to get out of bed this morning :D Now on to building my own workout. The one I did was this one: https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/full-length-kettlebell-workout-video-high-intensity-total-body-routine
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Inspired by this thread I dusted my kettlebells (and cleaned my whole flat thoroughly) and did a workout I used to do ages ago. It's overall a bit stupid and unbalanced, but got me something to do. Yay, I can still do Turkish Get Ups (without weight). One thing is certain: this workout hit A LOT OF muscles. Hardly managed to get out of bed this morning :D Now on to building my own workout. The one I did was this one: https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/full-length-kettlebell-workout-video-high-intensity-total-body-routine

I like Fitness Blender overall, but I have seen them (in their HIIT workout in particular) with just horrific form as well on the Kettlebell. But out of defense for them, that was when KBs were just becoming popular in the US and every trainer was jumping on the bandwagon.
  • yirara
    Options

I like Fitness Blender overall, but I have seen them (in their HIIT workout in particular) with just horrific form as well on the Kettlebell. But out of defense for them, that was when KBs were just becoming popular in the US and every trainer was jumping on the bandwagon.

Certainly true, with everyone doing kettlebells. I bought my first two bells in 2014 I think, before migrating to a country where I knew I'd not be able to go to a dude gym for cultural reasons. They still look really good! One of them has a latex coating which I think is good as it's just better for the floor. The other one unfortunately not, but that's all I could get. Looks like kettlebell shortage in shops is universal :wink: Oh, the family has grown a bit since then. I really like more complex exercises like turkish get-ups and clean and press. But no, you won't see me doing something as ridiculous as squat swings :D