Intolerance to Vegan Protein Power AND Whey and Whey Isolate

Hi team, I'm very frustrated trying to stick to protein shakes. I love them but if I don't take an Aciphex in the morning 1 hour after I'm running with an stomach explosion to the bathroom. With the aciphex instead I get massive gasses which are unpleasant and unbearable.

What I don't get is I'm not allergic to Lactose. I've tried 3 vegan brands of Rice and Soy and 3 of whey isolate and 2 of whey, non work.

Is it going to be impossible to build significant muscle ? Any ideas why I'm intolerant to all 3 ?

Thanks

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Why protein shakes? Why not food? If you like shakes, can you eat Greek yogurt, put it in a smoothie or something? I'm assuming you may be willing to eat dairy, since you've used whey protein powder.

There are lots of other options: Soft tofu, if you eat soy, is another option in a drinkable meal. I prefer things that I can chew, to drinks, so I get my protein (as an ovo-lacto vegetarian) entirely from food, zero protein powder - currently 100g protein minimum daily, usually exceed it.

I don't have any trouble gaining muscle . . . except the part where I dislike lifting. 😆
  • Lastchancetochange
    Lastchancetochange Posts: 146 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Why protein shakes? Why not food? If you like shakes, can you eat Greek yogurt, put it in a smoothie or something? I'm assuming you may be willing to eat dairy, since you've used whey protein powder.

There are lots of other options: Soft tofu, if you eat soy, is another option in a drinkable meal. I prefer things that I can chew, to drinks, so I get my protein (as an ovo-lacto vegetarian) entirely from food, zero protein powder - currently 100g protein minimum daily, usually exceed it.

I don't have any trouble gaining muscle . . . except the part where I dislike lifting. 😆

Can you share with me shake recipes. Also how do you take your 100grs daily of protein. I eat anything that doesn't destroy my stomach. I love my choc protein shake with peanut butter and banana because its delicious and should help muscle building.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Can you share with me shake recipes. Also how do you take your 100grs daily of protein. I eat anything that doesn't destroy my stomach. I love my choc protein shake with peanut butter and banana because its delicious and should help muscle building.

I don't have any shake recipes. I don't like shakes (don't find them tasty/satisfying, personally), so I don't drink them. The only calories I drink (beyond the occasional adult bev) is frothed skim milk in my coffee (lots of nice protein, few calories).

I'm in maintenance (lost weight 6+ years ago, now weigh around 125 pounds/57 kg), so I probably have more calories available than you might, if you're losing now so at a calorie deficit. When I was losing (usually on 1400-1600 calories plus all exercise), I got protein in the 90s grams, usually . . . still didn't seem to have any problems with strength, except that one time when I tried 1200 calories (plus exercise) and got weak/fatigued.

Sunday was a rest day for me, so no exercise calories to confuse things. I ate 1849 of my available 1850 calories. I got 126 grams of protein. I ate this (broken into 3 screen shots so the font will be bigger):

1yzfrmnbshpj.png
    i6vnatmkiosx.png
    48m9f43ekgjf.png

Clearly, there were things in there that I could've skipped, to reduce calories, without much affecting the protein level (like those Godiva chocolates 😆, among other things). There was a lot of dairy, because personally like dairy, tolerate it perfectly (thank you, Northern European ancestors, for those kind of genes!). I think I could hit the protein numbers without dairy, still without meat/fish, but my eating wouldn't be as enjoyable to me.

If I were going to make a shake, I'd probably use Greek yogurt and peanut butter powder (or almond butter powder) among the ingredients, because that would taste good to me. If it needs more protein, maybe skim milk, soft tofu blended in, a little bit of hemp hearts or milled flax seed? I dunno. I don't make shakes, like I said.

If you want to look at my diary more, feel free to send me a friend request. I'm a sub-par MFP friend, but my diary is open to friends, to look at.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    If those supplements were causing me issues I wouldn't take them. Supplements aren't necessary to build muscle. If you're goal is to build muscle I'd focus first and foremost on programming and whether or not it is conducive to that goal...if your program sucks or isn't designed for hypertrophy then none of the rest matters and you'd just be spinning your wheels regardless of anything else. Second would be overall diet and appropriate calorie intake...then protein which could range anywhere from insufficient to decent to good enough to optimal. For your average Joe/Jane trying to get fit and put on a little muscle mass, good enough is just that. Most people won't really see the benefit of optimal levels of protein because other aspects of their diet and training are not equally optimal.

Typically 0.6-0.8 grams per Lbs of a HEALTHY body weight is very good with 0.8 corresponding well to the 1 gram per Lb of LBM "rule" for most people. Any more than that 1 gram per Lb of LBM and you really aren't doing anything besides making expensive glucose...and even that is overkill for most people because other aspects of their diet and training aren't optimized.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    If you like the taste, maybe try (along the lines Ann suggested) some 0% greek yogurt (plain), some cocoa powder, some peanut butter, and a banana (or half of one).
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    How soon were you taking your shake before or after exercise? Is the exercise program(along with the shakes) recent? I know that for myself, if I really ramp up exercise and eat or drink shortly before or after will get diarrhea. I need to eat a light breakfast 2 hours before and eat again an hour after exercise. Symptoms should subside as your body acclimates to exercise and suggest that if you are eating a high fiber breakfast like oatmeal before exercise that you have a lower fiber breakfast before exercise instead.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Hi team, I'm very frustrated trying to stick to protein shakes. I love them but if I don't take an Aciphex in the morning 1 hour after I'm running with an stomach explosion to the bathroom. With the aciphex instead I get massive gasses which are unpleasant and unbearable.

What I don't get is I'm not allergic to Lactose. I've tried 3 vegan brands of Rice and Soy and 3 of whey isolate and 2 of whey, non work.

Is it going to be impossible to build significant muscle ? Any ideas why I'm intolerant to all 3 ?

Thanks

Well, if you provided links to the exact form of the brands you tried, we might be able to spot something.

Or, as said above, use food and focus on your lifting program.

Here's a thread with smoothie recipes, with and without protein powder. You could just sub non fat Greek yogurt for the recipes that do have PP.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/43346587
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    What do you mix them with? May or not apply, but I discovered decades ago that skim milk alone or with any food (e.g. cereal or flavored mixes) creates a lot of gut bloating, while even 1% milk or non-fat yogurt are perfectly fine (as are various soy and nut "milks" I don't much care for). When I started using whey protein (30 to 60 grams most days for five or six years now) mixing it with water creates the same gassy effects. My suggestion is don't overdo it and try it in various combinations.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Quick thought - are you trying flavoured or unflavoured? The flavoured varieties usually have artificial sugar in them and it could be that which is causing the reaction rather than the whey. when I started taking shakes and eating the odd protein bar I had to do it gradually as they really upset my tummy. I’ve developed tolerance over time but I know there are some bars which will have unpleasant side effects and others which are fine!