Does Yo-Yo cause permanent damage?

Options
Hi! I have been inconsistent in my weight loss efforts for a long time. I can be consistent for a period of time. I have lost and gained the same 50lbs twice. I am now at the top end again. I am using my doctor and a therapist as tools this time around. My bloodwork is clear but the scale is moving extremely slow. I mean, no weight loss in 3 weeks despite using a food scale slow. A friend suggested that I caused my hormones and metabolism damage. Is this a thing and is it reversible? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,626 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Actually @AnnPT77 .... this is another one of the "good" posts you're written. I would tend to stress manageable deficit, sustainability of effort, do things you feel that you will be able to do long term as opposed to separating life as "on" and "off" diet... but... I'm going to cross post you (or at least quote you) in Larger Losers! :wink:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Actually @AnnPT77 .... this is another one of the "good" posts you're written. I would tend to stress manageable deficit, sustainability of effort, do things you feel that you will be able to do long term as opposed to separating life as "on" and "off" diet... but... I'm going to cross post you (or at least quote you) in Larger Losers! :wink:

When the question is about whether or how yo-yo dieting is destructive, I don't know how to answer it without an "on"/"off" framing: That's literally the nature of yo-yos, and both phases can potentially be destructive IMO. (Both phases have been destructive in the ways I describe, for some women in my demographic, women I know in real life.)

My intention here, perhaps not achieved, was to frame the suggestions about going forward as not being an on/off - I'm referring to the part of my post starting after the "The good news . . . " paragraph, and ending before the link and TL;DR. There's only an "on" and "off", going forward, in the sense that sometimes we may want to be running a calorie deficit, and sometimes we may not. The only difference can be a sensible calorie deficit, or maintenance calories. It need not be more than that. (Some people don't lose exactly as they maintain, and that can be fine, too.)

As far as sustainability, I'm coming to prefer the "relatively easy, happy habits that can continue more or less on autopilot" formulation, over what seem to me to be more abstract notions like "sustainability". It's the same thing at root, IMO - poTAYto, poTAHto - but I feel like the auto-pilotable habits/patterns formulation is more clear and concrete.

Different people, different communication styles. 🙂 The only one I have is mine, such as it is. 😆
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Ann, I followed your link to this post from another thread. This is so informative. And I am guilty of doing exactly some of the things you mentioned here over decades of dieting and then regaining. I must say I agree totally with @fatty2begone in her comment above. I have read many of your posts throughout these boards, and I am amazed at the breadth and depth of your knowledge. I am going to try to incorporate many of your suggestions into my own life. Thank you for this post and the many others that have helped so many of us in our journeys.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    Pdc654 wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 Ann, I followed your link to this post from another thread. This is so informative. And I am guilty of doing exactly some of the things you mentioned here over decades of dieting and then regaining. I must say I agree totally with @fatty2begone in her comment above. I have read many of your posts throughout these boards, and I am amazed at the breadth and depth of your knowledge. I am going to try to incorporate many of your suggestions into my own life. Thank you for this post and the many others that have helped so many of us in our journeys.

Thank you, @pdc654. I'm glad that someone sometimes finds my wordy rants helpful in some way.

For me, improving fitness and losing weight (two chronologically separate things in my life by a decade plus) were both major improvements in quality of life, not "just" health.

What I post for sure won't be everyone's cup of tea, but if I can help someone figure out how to accomplish their own quality of life improvements - even using tactics much different from mine - that makes me sincerely happy.