What is the biggest issue in my diet?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Speaking of food pantries, for older people on a limited budget reading, I volunteer at a senior center and we have lots of food to give away for free. We collect donations from local businesses and give away shelf-stable food all week and have an official "shopping" day on Fridays.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,098 Member
    ppaliwa wrote: »
    My food for the day
    7fimvhr771m7.png.

Edit: I just realized that almost all of my sodium intake for the day was just from the soup. Wow. That sucks because I really enjoy this soup and I have 4 more cans of it. Guess we now know why I like it so much. I am going to stop buying it.

Edit 2: It makes no sense for me to eat a biscuit with jelly as a snack. My diet is horrible and I need to change that. I will have canned fruit instead.

Unless you have blood pressure issues for example, fixating on sodium isn't necessary. But if you can find a lower sodium option, go for it, obviously.

Also, what strikes me is your very, very low protein intake. That really isn't enough to be healthy. Boiled eggs, canned chickpeas, tinned fish,... Anything like that would be good. And if you go with tinned fish, choosing a fatty type of fish will give you a bonus of increasing your fat intake which is borderline low as well.
  • ppaliwa
    ppaliwa Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2022
    I appreciate all the responses even if I don't respond to each one individually!

-

@Lietchi I never would have guessed my protein was lower than average, much less very very low. I guess I always assumed I didn't have to worry about protein since I eat meat every day. Even today I ate meat twice, turkey in my wrap and chicken in my soup. I figured only athletes/gym buffs and vegetarians/vegans needed to pay attention to their protein.

If anything, I've had a weird worry about eating too much protein. My best friend recommended that I drink protein shakes the other day if I'm looking for something quick and filling in the mornings. I responded to her that I thought people should only drink protein shakes when they're about to do heavy exercise.

Guess I'll have to reevaluate that thinking.

-
    @Xerogs The bottles I drink are 16.9fl oz. It's hard to keep track of my water intake exactly as half of my water intake comes from the cafeteria, but I would guess that I drink about 60fl oz of water a day.

_

@kshama2001 No, I'm taking seroquel. I too sometimes will take a "substance that is legal" (which sounds very suspicious in quotes). But that makes me binge way more than the seroquel does, unfortunately. I'll check out that link!

_

@littlegreenparrot1 My sleeping schedule is completely out of whack. I do know a proper sleep is important, but my insomnia is severe, and all my attempts at establishing a consistent sleeping schedule have failed. It's an everyday battle. I'll have one good week here and there on occasion, but there will always come a night where I can't fall asleep and it throws everything off. I would say I only sleep consistently/healthily about 10% of the time. Sometimes I will get only 4 hours of sleep in 3 days, other times I will sleep 12+ hours a day for 5 days in a row. The longest I've ever slept at once was 23 hours, waking up only to pee and eat and then go back to sleep.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    I noticed something: Some of your nutritional information doesn't have macros. Thus your protein might look completely different, and be higher after all. Are there better database entries with full macros, or is this an entry you made based on a guess or canteen information? Maybe better info is available somewhere.
  • ppaliwa
    ppaliwa Posts: 9 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    I noticed something: Some of your nutritional information doesn't have macros. Thus your protein might look completely different, and be higher after all. Are there better database entries with full macros, or is this an entry you made based on a guess or canteen information? Maybe better info is available somewhere.

The only items that are missing are milk and the wrap. I probably only used about a third a cup of milk (put it into my cream of wheat). This is about 3g of protein.

The wrap is one I customized at the cafeteria, so I have no idea what the macros are. It was a jalapeno tortilla, turkey, onion, lettuce, mayo, and cheddar cheese. (I know someone suggested I go for parmesan cheese instead, but parmesan cheese hurts my stomach.)
  • Lietchi
    edited April 2022

I just noticed that as well, the wrap with turkey has no protein according to that entry. I would suggest logging the individual ingredients instead of generic entries for prepared foods like your wrap, that would be more accurate. For example using some food database entries from supermarket chains.
  • Lietchi
    edited April 2022

The wrap is one I customized at the cafeteria, so I have no idea what the macros are. It was a jalapeno tortilla, turkey, onion, lettuce, mayo, and cheddar cheese. (I know someone suggested I go for parmesan cheese instead, but parmesan cheese hurts my stomach.)

Just ignore that suggestion, no reason why parmesan would be better than cheddar.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

The only items that are missing are milk and the wrap. I probably only used about a third a cup of milk (put it into my cream of wheat). This is about 3g of protein.

What if you doubled the turkey and left out the cheese? Turkey is lean meat, cheese is high fat. And as for the mayo, do they offer lowfat mayo or mustard instead? I've found I like Dijon mustard on my wraps, gives me a tang.
  • ilariadm1
    ilariadm1 Posts: 13 Member
    @Lietchi let me disagree. I suggested parmesan because I assumed the cheddar she is getting in her salad or wraps isn't even "real" cheddar, rather processed slices like Kraft Singles...these are just nasty! I would recommend getting any fresh cheese but again, I live in Italy where we have plenty of healthy choices and if you ask for cheese, you get real cheese and not singles or cheese-based products instead. My suggestion was just an example, I think her meals are ok but can be prepared with healthier options, no mean to demonize any food item. Clearly switching cheddar with another cheese won't change her weight, I really agree on this with you, I was just trying to provide less processed options :)
    BTW @ppaliwa I suggest as well logging every single ingredient, if you don't know the exact quantity just try to guess it (there are a lot of guides on google on how to estimate the weight of portions by their size). In any case, I wouldn't focus only on calories right now, rather on cutting out processed food. And of course you have to work on your sleep, that is a very impacting element on your weight and diet!
  • Lietchi
    ilariadm1 wrote: »
    @Lietchi let me disagree. I suggested parmesan because I assumed the cheddar she is getting in her salad or wraps isn't even "real" cheddar, rather processed slices like Kraft Singles...these are just nasty! I would recommend getting any fresh cheese but again, I live in Italy where we have plenty of healthy choices and if you ask for cheese, you get real cheese and not singles or cheese-based products instead. My suggestion was just an example, I think her meals are ok but can be prepared with healthier options, no mean to demonize any food item. Clearly switching cheddar with another cheese won't change her weight, I really agree on this with you, I was just trying to provide less processed options :)

Well, being from Belgium, I also prefer 'real' cheese to the industrial stuff that passes as cheese, so we agree there. But it was a bit of an assumption with regards to the cheddar being 'industrial' (similar to your comment about chicken being better than turkey, also presuming the turkey was processed versus unprocessed chicken).

Considering the particular situation of the OP, I think just focusing on adequate (healthy) fats, adequate protein, sufficient vegetables/fruits and an adequate amount of calories is plenty to get her started. Obviously cooking from fresh would be better (less sodium etc) but I think it would be tricky in the current circumstances.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

What if you doubled the turkey and left out the cheese? Turkey is lean meat, cheese is high fat. And as for the mayo, do they offer lowfat mayo or mustard instead? I've found I like Dijon mustard on my wraps, gives me a tang.

Well . . . some cheese is high fat, and I know a lot of people here avoid cheese for that reason, but:

1. On the day shown, OP's fat total is too low by quite a lot (could also be a problem with the database entries chosen), alongside protein total being way, way too low.
    2. There are some relatively calorie-efficient cheeses, such as some goat cheeses (light Jarlsberg swiss has more calories from protein than fat, for example).

I'm with you on the mustard vs. mayo, too. I like mayo, but not enough more than mustard to make the huge calorie differential seem worth it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    I appreciate all the responses even if I don't respond to each one individually!

-

@Lietchi I never would have guessed my protein was lower than average, much less very very low. I guess I always assumed I didn't have to worry about protein since I eat meat every day. Even today I ate meat twice, turkey in my wrap and chicken in my soup. I figured only athletes/gym buffs and vegetarians/vegans needed to pay attention to their protein.

If anything, I've had a weird worry about eating too much protein. My best friend recommended that I drink protein shakes the other day if I'm looking for something quick and filling in the mornings. I responded to her that I thought people should only drink protein shakes when they're about to do heavy exercise.

Guess I'll have to reevaluate that thinking.

(snip)

As a decent starting point on evaluating nutrition, take a look at your "daily goal" line. On the day depicted, your protein goal is 100g, and your total eaten is 26g. That's not enough! Protein and fats should be thought of as minimums. You don't have to be exact, but close, most days, on average, is nutritionally a good plan.

That is tempered by the possibility that some of the database entries are incomplete, so the totals may not be correct. The turkey wrap is an example: It certainly had protein, fat and carbs, but none are shown. (I doubt that it had enough protein to get you to 100g - usually if the cafeteria offers a serving of turkey, it wouldn't be a huge one. If you picked the turkey amount yourself, it could be more than if they picked the serving size . . . but it'd have to be a pretty big serving to get you near 100g for the day, even with the milk's protein added in).

And yes: Everyone needs to get enough protein, not just vegetarians (I am one, BTW). Eating meat/fish makes it a bit easier to do that on reduced calories, but some people don't eat enough meat to get sufficient protein. The amount of meat in commercial (canned) soups is pretty minimal.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,123 Member
    It isn't necessarily what you eat, it's how much you eat that is the issue.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    ilariadm1 wrote: »
    BTW @ppaliwa I suggest as well logging every single ingredient, if you don't know the exact quantity just try to guess it (there are a lot of guides on google on how to estimate the weight of portions by their size). In any case, I wouldn't focus only on calories right now, rather on cutting out processed food. And of course you have to work on your sleep, that is a very impacting element on your weight and diet!

FYI, cheddar is real cheddar. Kraft Single type cheese is called "American cheese."
  • phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    Hi! You’ve gotten a lot of good replies, but just coming from a similar sort of diet back when I was a student I think your biggest issue is probably sugar (and protein as a few other people mentioned).

From personal experience, sugar drinks are a huge calorie sink and make it hard to get enough nutrients within the rest of your calories. Pay attention to how many grams of sugar are in a drink—a grande caramel Frappuccino has 55g!! And coke or other soda is similar. Energy drinks are my poison, I’ve tried to stick to sugar free versions, but I do still like the Starbucks doubleshot canned drinks. They have like20g of sugar which is too much, but it’s half of some other energy drinks and it has a minimal amount of fat/protein. Check other foods you eat for sugar too, even stuff like pasta sauce can have a lot added.

Try cutting back on those and eating more good stuff—you’re a student so it’s tough but doable. Some easy cheap dorm foods that are pretty nutritious:

Baked potato with beans or chili
    Frozen steam in bag vegetables
    Tuna pouches or canned fish
    String cheese
    Oatmeal (plain not sweetened oats) with peanut butter
    Brown rice or whole wheat pasta (if you have a kitchen, sometimes there are microwave bags though)
    Quesadilla with black beans
    Cottage cheese or yogurt
    Veggies and hummus/Greek yogurt dip (carrots, bell pepper, cucumber, broccoli)
    Protein bars or shakes with less sugar
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    If you need help with getting food, there are food pantries everywhere that have very nutritious choices. Including vegetables and protein. So when you move out of the dorm, that could be a big help.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    When I was 230lbs and clueless about food choices - I found it easier to follow a guided plan.
    There are so many free ones online where you can find one to match your style of eating.
    And along the way I learned about calories, macros, what types of food that kept me satiated etc..
    Take small steps, at first have a calorie goal and weigh everything religiously so you can learn portion sizes.
    Log everything that has calories.
    The biggest game changer for me at first was cutting down my drinks calories.