What is the biggest issue in my diet?

13»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    edited April 2022
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ilariadm1 wrote: »
    @Lietchi let me disagree. I suggested parmesan because I assumed the cheddar she is getting in her salad or wraps isn't even "real" cheddar, rather processed slices like Kraft Singles...these are just nasty! I would recommend getting any fresh cheese but again, I live in Italy where we have plenty of healthy choices and if you ask for cheese, you get real cheese and not singles or cheese-based products instead. My suggestion was just an example, I think her meals are ok but can be prepared with healthier options, no mean to demonize any food item. Clearly switching cheddar with another cheese won't change her weight, I really agree on this with you, I was just trying to provide less processed options :)
    BTW @ppaliwa I suggest as well logging every single ingredient, if you don't know the exact quantity just try to guess it (there are a lot of guides on google on how to estimate the weight of portions by their size). In any case, I wouldn't focus only on calories right now, rather on cutting out processed food. And of course you have to work on your sleep, that is a very impacting element on your weight and diet!

FYI, cheddar is real cheddar. Kraft Single type cheese is called "American cheese."

I'm always kind of amazed that people who live outside of the U.S. think that Americans only eat processed Kraft cheese. Or that it would be common as a salad topping.

No, when someone says "cheddar" they mean real cheese. And if you ask for cheese in America, you get real cheese, just like in Italy. Kraft Singles is not the default.

True. However, in many fast food outlets and pizza places (not only in the US) you don't get actual cheese but cheese analog (or very poor actual cheese), and they still call it cheddar, or mozarella, or whatnot.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    @Lietchi let me disagree. I suggested parmesan because I assumed the cheddar she is getting in her salad or wraps isn't even "real" cheddar, rather processed slices like Kraft Singles...these are just nasty! I would recommend getting any fresh cheese but again, I live in Italy where we have plenty of healthy choices and if you ask for cheese, you get real cheese and not singles or cheese-based products instead. My suggestion was just an example, I think her meals are ok but can be prepared with healthier options, no mean to demonize any food item. Clearly switching cheddar with another cheese won't change her weight, I really agree on this with you, I was just trying to provide less processed options :)
    BTW @ppaliwa I suggest as well logging every single ingredient, if you don't know the exact quantity just try to guess it (there are a lot of guides on google on how to estimate the weight of portions by their size). In any case, I wouldn't focus only on calories right now, rather on cutting out processed food. And of course you have to work on your sleep, that is a very impacting element on your weight and diet!

FYI, cheddar is real cheddar. Kraft Single type cheese is called "American cheese."

I'm always kind of amazed that people who live outside of the U.S. think that Americans only eat processed Kraft cheese. Or that it would be common as a salad topping.

No, when someone says "cheddar" they mean real cheese. And if you ask for cheese in America, you get real cheese, just like in Italy. Kraft Singles is not the default.

True. However, in many fast food outlets and pizza places (not only in the US) you don't get actual cheese but cheese analog (or very poor actual cheese), and they still call it cheddar, or mozarella, or whatnot.

It's becoming more common here, it seems like, for pizza places (and I think some other fast food, but I don't eat that very often) to be marketing based on having actual cheese, or better cheese. (I'm in the US, don't know whether my area is typical, but it's not big-city/coastal, it's fly-over and midsized city.)

It may not always be good quality real cheese at the really low-end pizza places even if "real". But at mid/specialty pizza places, decent cheese is available on the base pizza with other types as an add-on (fresh mozz, maybe even buffalo mozz; various types of goat cheese; feta; ricotta; gouda . . . ).
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 97 Member
    Just a note: most lean meat is only about 25% protein at best. So four ounces of meat is only (really rounding, here) 1 ounce or 28 grams of protein. Fortunately lots of good things have protein. Greek yogurt is a good source, for example. Even the cheap store-brand regular yogurt has some. Just watch the sugar.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    yirara wrote: »

True. However, in many fast food outlets and pizza places (not only in the US) you don't get actual cheese but cheese analog (or very poor actual cheese), and they still call it cheddar, or mozzarella, or whatnot.

I'm not saying this doesn't happen, but I've not encountered the fake cheddar in the states where I have lived - Florida, Massachusetts, New York, and have not encountered it in the states where I've visited, which are too many to list. The establishment either has real cheddar or it is not an option. I think the only time I've encountered fake mozzarella was on low quality frozen pizza that I bought for my partner as a one-off, but since I can't say it with 100% certainty I'm not going to.

We did stop going to a local seafood restaurant that switched to something that was not butter and had the nerve to serve it with lobster. They did not mislabel it butter though - it just wasn't mentioned on the menu.
  • pcrozier99
    pcrozier99 Posts: 35 Member
    edited April 2022
    You are drinking a whole lot of empty calories, at least on this day. 380 calories for your morning coffee? Is this daily? That's just jaw dropping. And it is doing nothing to provide you with worthwhile nutrition. Just switching to regular black coffee in the morning would save you over 2500 calories a week. Also, canned soup and canned pasta, if this is a regular occurrence, will spike your sodium to crazy levels which will wreak havoc on your weight tracking because of the accompanying water retention of high sodium diets.

Also, being vague to the amount of food you eat such as "two eggs (or so)" tells me you are not being very mindful of the number of calories you are eating. Pretty easy to know how many eggs you are eating usually, even when eating out. If this imprecision is the norm, it will be hard to ensure you are in a calorie deficit. Coffee aside, my impression of this would be lower calories, maybe too low, but pretty unhealthy food.

Overall, this its hard to comment on your overall diet unless this is representative of the regular.
  • pcrozier99
    pcrozier99 Posts: 35 Member
    edited April 2022
    Wondering if you are "addicted" to sugar is, frankly, letting yourself off the hook for your own choices. You are in control here, not the food. It's not addiction. It's poor choices. That may sound harsh but it is true. You need to take control and make better choices. That's step one to getting you moving towards your goals.