Intermittent fasting 20/4 + low carb, high protein

Options
Hi there I'm Amy. I'm 47 years old and my top weight was 268 lbs. I do have PCOS and lupus but my weight had got completely out of control. I started a very low carb, high protein diet about 3 months ago and then add it in intermittent fasting at 16/8 to start off with and now, I'm doing the 2 meal, 20/4 currently. I'm really surprised at how my body has adjusted to the 20/4 and how I'm truly not hungry during those 20 hours. I'm doing 1200 calories a day with my biggest meal being the first one of the day and I pretty much have to force it all down. As of today I was at 230.0 lbs and I am really starting to feel it. I feel so much better, I have so much more energy and my joints and my back don't bother me near as bad as they were at 265 lbs. I'm anxious to see how other people's intermittent fasting / high protein low carb diets are going. Keep working, we will all get to where we want to be or need to be eventually

Replies

• 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Hi 👋🏼 I'm Viva. I'm 34. I also have an autoimmune/autoinflammatory condition. Over the last 2 years I have gained a lot of weight and I was on the 16/8, working up to the 18/6 IF. I do want to eventually get to 20/4, but I have a weakness of snacking at night when I can't sleep😔
    I am on a 1200 calories a day (high protein, low carb) and I don't have trouble sticking to that because that's plenty for me. It's just sometimes I don't make the best food choices and have a tendency to go for the sweeter things. I am hoping I get used to coping with stress a different way, eating better, building a better relationship with food so I may relax and stop being so anxious.
  • KA6801
    KA6801 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi

I'm looking for inspiration to do high protein. I'm not understanding the 20/4?
  • 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    KA6801 wrote: »
    hi

I'm looking for inspiration to do high protein. I'm not understanding the 20/4?

20/4 - 20 hours fast and 4 hour eating window 🙂 (stay within you daily cal limit)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,908 Member
    Options
    I am a keto'er and also do IF ... My window is 16:8 ....I absolutely love the way I feel ... I have lost 45 lbs so far ...Wishing you all the very best :)
  • angela4boys3853
    angela4boys3853 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Is the fast for food only or does my morning coffee break the fast? I enjoy a morning iced latte and not willing to give that up yet. I just need to know if that coffee breaks the fast or when does my 4 or 6 hour if eating begin?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Is the fast for food only or does my morning coffee break the fast? I enjoy a morning iced latte and not willing to give that up yet. I just need to know if that coffee breaks the fast or when does my 4 or 6 hour if eating begin?

If the latte has calories, it breaks your fast. What are you hoping to accomplish with the fast (hint there is nothing magical about IF - it's just another way to control your eating)?