Age 54 Goal to be Healthy and lose 125 pounds

Hi,
I plan to figure this weight management thing out using all 4 food groups and exercise. I'm 54 years old. I'm in perimenopause. I'm metabolically healthy except obesity. I quit a packaged meal plan that eliminated a lot foods. I deal with chronic migraine as well. I have had an excessive amount of stress with a family member's chronic health problems, but that has resolved a lot as that person is now in a nursing home.
I live in Fairfield, Ohio. I look forward to health!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    Hi, and welcome to the Community!

I like your positive attitude! I'm 66, hanging around here working at maintaining a steady-ish, healthy weight, after losing weight with MFP at age 59-60. Fingers crossed!

I'm just a bit North-ish of you, in the middle of Michigan's palm. It sounds like you have a good start on a plan. Wishing you success with MFP!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,342 Member
    edited April 2022
    Hi, @michelekay2015

Welcome to MFP and the Community Boards. I’ve also lost a ton (well, technically 5% of one) here, post menopause.

Read the boards religiously. I never would have gotten up to speed- or continued, for that matter- without the resources, advice, encouragement of the board here.

I was similar to you, with “good” overall health other than obesity. But I didn’t realize that obesity was like a concrete block around my ankles. Losing weight opened me up to truly feeling better than I knew was possible, trying new things. I feel both lighter of foot, and of heart.

I imagine you’ll find time a bit heavy in your hands now. I did, after an unexpected retirement. I eventually decided to make “Me” (yes, the capital M is intentional!) my full time job.

Invest in yourself.

BTW, I found that better eating came simply with being more mindful of what I ate. “I can have a whole bowl of frozen blueberries with cottage cheese for the caloric cost of those two Oreos.” And then discovered I preferred the berries. (I’ve had a pack of Oreos in the freezer for two or three months to add in to homemade low-cal yogurt ice cream. Between the two of us, we’ve had a whopping one Oreo apiece.)

That kind of mindset revolutionized what and how I ate. I never drowned myself in learning food groups, killing it on macros, etc. I just made simple substitutions and everything else fell into place.