2»

Replies

• Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    allother94 wrote: »
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    Just do a hack squat instead of smith machine squats. It's much better at targeting the quads if that's what you're looking for. Also why even deadlift? Everyone should ask themselves why they do certain exercises.

No hack squat at my gym. Thinking trap bar deadlifts are the answer…

Currently, I’m deadlifting because every program tells you to deadlift. I’ve been told too many times on this forum that you shouldn’t change a proven program…

You can do a trap bar deadlift with dumbbells like this, it's much more of a natural movement :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdyp97SLrpI

Just need two steps and dumbbells.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 years old. I started weight training when I was 15, including squats and deadlifts. I've never once been injured performing those or any other lift.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    It depends on how hard you push yourself, if you lift really heavy you will get some injuries it's almost inevitable. If you squat and deadlift with minimal weight sure you might not get injured, but why squat and deadlift in the first place if you don't plan on going heavy.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm 47 years old. I started weight training when I was 15, including squats and deadlifts. I've never once been injured performing those or any other lift.

I’m 45 and have done deadlifts since 16. I never had a problem either. Until one day…. Pop! It happened so fast and laid me up for 2 weeks…. Talking with doctors and chiropractors during the aftermath, they all said going heavy at my age is a bad idea. Even my trainer told me they don’t know any long time weightlifter that doesn’t have back issues from deadlift and squats. Where there is smoke, there is fire…

Sounds like the trap bar might be the answer. I really want to lift heavy again, heavy for me at least…