Calorie Deficit Question

Options
Ok so i'm thrilled after this week! I fell out of the diet for a bit but really cracked down this week and i could not be happier with the results.

Here are my specs. Currently i weigh 249.8lbs i'm 5"8, F, and 30 years old (closer to 31)

So i set myfitnesspall to the bare minimum activity level which puts me at a calorie goal of 1390 cal a day. Yes, i'm aware this is low for me personally BUT it is what i want to break even at. There is a method to my madness lol

I started eating mainly vegetarian this week. Breakfast and lunch are packed with rich nutrients and fiber, no table sugar, just truvia for my coffee and oats. I eat mainly veggies for lunch too, I have an apple every day because if my blood sugar go's low i get rather sick. I 'm not diabetic tho. I get checked for that bi annually.

So this week I ate a grand total.. and mind you this is monday through friday, 7454 calories. I eat when i'm hungry so i went over almost all week but i kept a 200 + calorie deficit each day. Currently i have a cal deficit of 2092 cal.

I take 30 min every day around 2pm to do a mix of workouts, part of them being low intensity weight lifting because i have pcos and its supposed to help that out.

I promise i'm not starving myself. I don't wake up hungry, if i get hungry i eat and logg it no issue. I was just curious how well i was doing and such.

Oh and i know the calorie amount isn't what normally pops up for my specs, but i don't hit 2000 plus calories unless i eat out or eat sweets and i've pretty well sworn off eating out with how expensive things are right now. And i attempted to have a blueberry fritter for breakfast this morning and got sick off of it so i don't think i'm going to do sweets that often. Saturday is going to be my cheat day but most likely going to be one i mow on and that burns quite a few calories all its own with the push mower.

sorry for the long post, trying to make sure i convey that i'm not starving over here. Just wanted to see what you all would say about this weeks triumph! :) thanks in advance!

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Except you are slowly starving yourself. I put your stats in and to lose 1 lb a week, you should be eating 2,000 calories a day. You should be eating more. It will come back to bite you if you don't. Did you set up your profile in MFP? I'm guessing not.
  • kallen771991
    kallen771991 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    Except you are slowly starving yourself. I put your stats in and to lose 1 lb a week, you should be eating 2,000 calories a day. You should be eating more. It will come back to bite you if you don't. Did you set up your profile in MFP? I'm guessing not.

Ya i use the app and fitbit. I have a hard time eating that much without having junk. One calculater say 2000 another says 1980.. hard to keep up with it all. I'm eating well though, and with all the veggies and whole foods i try to stick with, i'm just not hungry after so much.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,682 Member
    Options
    Adding whole foods to what you eat and displacing less filling, high calorie for the benefit it gives, food is a great strategy to employ in order to reduce weight in a controlled fashion and bring some balance to one's eating.

Too much of a good thing... that seldom ends up working out well.

Just putting it out there that if we always ate only when, and if, we were hungry neither of us at 5ft 8" (or 172.25cm as the case may be) would would have reached 250lbs (or topped it by a good 15%).

Not counting that "hunger cues" in a substantial deficit are totally NOT a thing. Not until you've actually spent quite a bit of time learning about them... and even then I would wonder about it if I were you! :wink:

Contrary to others I don't have a huge problem with you STARTING at 1500 Cal a day or so (which is what I am understanding, perhaps incorrectly, that you're doing).

HOWEVER, I will caution you that your understanding of what you're doing SOUNDS a bit off to me.

a) sedentary = person who will normally NOT hit 5000 steps on their fitbit. If you're going above that expect to get an adjustment and that adjustment is probably reflecting the truth, i.e. that you're more active than what is included in sedentary.

b) your weight lifting exercise if you're currently not in great shape and if it increases your heart rate disproportionately to the amount of work it actually requires (work being an abstract notion, not the amount of work it feels that it requires but the amount of energy it requires) it will elevate your apparent exercise burn beyond what is real. In the big scheme of things, it doesn't matter. Your adjustment AT MIDNIGHT is only partially influenced by this extra burn (see (a) above)

c) don't get sucked in at going faster and faster and swearing off anything and everything. You want to experiment a bit and see how you can get things going so that you find a way of doing this day in and day out and day in and ....

d) your deficit is not what you're saying it is (200Cal). You are eating at a deficit any time you're eating less than what your Fitbit said you burned by the end of day (which at a guess is closer to 2500Cal, which would make your deficit during the week about 1000 Cal a day and unknown during the weekend). Whether your Fitbit is or appears to be accurate or not depends on a lot of things, not the least of which is the quality of your food intake logging. But that can be corrected for if you keep good data. At that point your TRUE deficit will be your corrected with your own data Fitbit information! :wink: By disappearing your weekend you don't have good data.

e) Using MFP, Fitbit, and a weight trend application is a great combination approved by n=1=me!:smiley: Using other devices such as Garmin works too. Others will work too but may require extra steps.

I am sorry, but eating on plan is not something that happens Monday to Friday and then we don't care. The plan is what you make of it and if your plan includes eating more than maintenance that's a legitimate part of the plan too!

You're taking in and spending calories 24/7/365 and you're managing your weight consciously or unconsciously during the same time frame :smiley: Managing your weight does NOT mean only eating green beans, which I currently am!

It includes the (full sized portion of) fish and chips I am going to eat later. And the "Dutch Pannekoek" breakfast I am going to have tomorrow, Though I will skip the Pannekoek and have a more regular breakfast with bacon and eggs and dry toast (butter on the side so I can choose when to apply instead of having soggy toast) instead.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    It's a bad plan, for reasons noted above.

Also, in what you say you eat, there's almost no protein. Protein is an essential nutrient. Our bodies can't manufacture it out of any other nutrient, we have to eat it. Vegetarians need a bit more protein than omnivores (it's an average protein quality issue), not less. I hope you're getting plenty, and just didn't mention it. (I'm 5'5", F, and target 100g minimum protein, usually exceed it.)

I've been vegetarian for 47+ years. There's no weight loss or health magic in vegetarianism. I was a thin vegetarian, got fat, then obese, stayed obese for quite a while (despite becoming a competitive athlete along the way), then got thin again . . . all as a vegetarian, eating whole grains and veggies and all kind of good stuff. (Plus, I feel compelled to add, adequate protein!). Vegetarianism is a fine thing, but I'd never encourage a person to go that route unless they have some ethical/moral reasons. It makes healthy eating a tiny bit more difficult, honestly - very manageable, but slightly more difficult.

Hunger is not a good guide to adequate calorie intake. I accidentally under-ate for a short time during weight loss (because MFP greatly underestimates my actual calorie needs). I felt great, energetic, not hungry . . . until I hit a wall suddenly, got weak and fatigued. Though I corrected quickly, it took multiple weeks to recover. No one needs that! Plus I was lucky that that was all that happened (other than maybe some hair-thinning a few weeks later - that tends to be a delayed effect).

Worse can happen, at extremes:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10761904/under-1200-for-weight-loss/p1

I know you're over 1200, but you should still read that: You're under what's sensible, frankly. I lost at a good clip, at a smaller height/weight than you (and twice as old) on 1400-1600 plus all carefully-estimated exercise calories, so gross intake of 1600-2000 most days. More importantly, I'm still at a healthy weight 6+ years later, because I learned how to eat in a long-term sustainable way, while I was losing.

If you're having trouble getting enough calories without feeling over-full, eat more nuts, seeds, peanut butter, avocados, olive oil or similar on salads/veggies, and that sort of thing. Lowballing calories is a bad plan.
  • kallen771991
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Adding whole foods to what you eat and displacing less filling, high calorie for the benefit it gives, food is a great strategy to employ in order to reduce weight in a controlled fashion and bring some balance to one's eating.

Too much of a good thing... that seldom ends up working out well.

Just putting it out there that if we always ate only when, and if, we were hungry neither of us at 5ft 8" (or 172.25cm as the case may be) would would have reached 250lbs (or topped it by a good 15%).

Not counting that "hunger cues" in a substantial deficit are totally NOT a thing. Not until you've actually spent quite a bit of time learning about them... and even then I would wonder about it if I were you! :wink:

Contrary to others I don't have a huge problem with you STARTING at 1500 Cal a day or so (which is what I am understanding, perhaps incorrectly, that you're doing).

HOWEVER, I will caution you that your understanding of what you're doing SOUNDS a bit off to me.

a) sedentary = person who will normally NOT hit 5000 steps on their fitbit. If you're going above that expect to get an adjustment and that adjustment is probably reflecting the truth, i.e. that you're more active than what is included in sedentary.

b) your weight lifting exercise if you're currently not in great shape and if it increases your heart rate disproportionately to the amount of work it actually requires (work being an abstract notion, not the amount of work it feels that it requires but the amount of energy it requires) it will elevate your apparent exercise burn beyond what is real. In the big scheme of things, it doesn't matter. Your adjustment AT MIDNIGHT is only partially influenced by this extra burn (see (a) above)

c) don't get sucked in at going faster and faster and swearing off anything and everything. You want to experiment a bit and see how you can get things going so that you find a way of doing this day in and day out and day in and ....

d) your deficit is not what you're saying it is (200Cal). You are eating at a deficit any time you're eating less than what your Fitbit said you burned by the end of day (which at a guess is closer to 2500Cal, which would make your deficit during the week about 1000 Cal a day and unknown during the weekend). Whether your Fitbit is or appears to be accurate or not depends on a lot of things, not the least of which is the quality of your food intake logging. But that can be corrected for if you keep good data. At that point your TRUE deficit will be your corrected with your own data Fitbit information! :wink: By disappearing your weekend you don't have good data.

e) Using MFP, Fitbit, and a weight trend application is a great combination approved by n=1=me!:smiley: Using other devices such as Garmin works too. Others will work too but may require extra steps.

I am sorry, but eating on plan is not something that happens Monday to Friday and then we don't care. The plan is what you make of it and if your plan includes eating more than maintenance that's a legitimate part of the plan too!

You're taking in and spending calories 24/7/365 and you're managing your weight consciously or unconsciously during the same time frame :smiley: Managing your weight does NOT mean only eating green beans, which I currently am!

It includes the (full sized portion of) fish and chips I am going to eat later. And the "Dutch Pannekoek" breakfast I am going to have tomorrow, Though I will skip the Pannekoek and have a more regular breakfast with bacon and eggs and dry toast (butter on the side so I can choose when to apply instead of having soggy toast) instead.

Ok, so I set my calorie goal to the lowest. like the app says little to no activity so on days i don't get to do much, i don't go too much over the predicted amount. I have all my info up to date on the app too. i just did measurements and new weigh in this morning.

As for A... my average is 5292 steps. I'm a housewife and i have a toddler thats mama driven and the weather isn't super great so getting out is hard sometimes. its why i defaulted to my exercises.

As for B... my exercises don't get my heartrate up but rarely, i get maybe one or two active minutes on my fitbit. I have pcos so low intensity is the goal because you don't want your heart rate up as much, like... i do get active minutes when i'm out doing yard work or mowing like i did today but when i do these exercises i'm trying to do it slowly and without getting my heart rate up. Cortisol is my enemy and i have enough on it with my ptsd and such.

C, I jumped up my game like i did because i have an eating disorder. Getting rid of sweets and trying to keep my activity up all week is hard because i have ptsd episodes and all i want is to eat when they happen... its a struggle so i feel i did well.

D, MFP doesn't flux what it says my calorie deficit is, it and my fibit are linked and they both are within a few calories of eachother at the end of the day as far as results.. and yes, my deficit was 2092 cal. i never over ate by much and tried to get 30 min each day, i was rather upset if i didn't reach 300 cal burned. I really want to loose the weight but for me its not as easy as all that.

Let me explain a bit... when i was 9 i started puberty, early? ya, but not uncommon.. now with the pcos i bloated BAD like.. bad bad.. i was little one summer and within a few months i went up a shirt and pant size and it was something i was teased for... had family issues too which lead tto food and eating being the only thing that i could control. My mom had me medicated at 9 too which never helped no matter which way you look back at it because they heavily misdiagnosed me... i was stuck like that for 9 years at the mercy of her input and her ramblings about what she thought i was doing and thinking and how i was behaving... anyways.. when i was 14 i was 265, doctors told me it was no big dea... in fact i fluctuated from 259 and 280 through my whole teen hood and they swore to me it was normal. I went from a size 14 to 18 and one summer i got fed up, played ddr like a fool, went and walked the treadmill an hour, ate cereal portioned out fully for breakfast, at a little at lunch and little at dinner.. no one batted an eye and by two months i was still in the 250's but down two pant sizes.

my weight fluctuates so much its hard to tell if i've lost any fat unless i do my measurements once a month. I have a "B" belly which sucks but i measure the two biggest parts of my tummy because honestly thats what i want gone the most and progress keeps me motivated. counting calories justs helps my eating habits more than anything. I made my own protein bars this week and munch on those when i feel hungry between meals, i get healthy fats. i have oats and chia seeds with fruit and i usually have an apple and peanut butter with lunch, sometimes almonds too. and for dinner, i eat meat with some form of veggie and another side be it potatoes or mac n cheese.. i'm not skimping out and i still logg on cheat days.. today for instance, i went over by 501 cal.. thats eating 2582 cal and burning 719... ya i went over but i had more cheese with dinner than i normally would because quesadillas suck with just a 1/4 cup split between two tortillas worth... it just sucks.. so i saved it for tonight.

i don't fully understand why its bad if i'm within ranges both apps give me... and i keep my watch on 24/7.. till it needs to charge then its off an hour and back on after.
  • kallen771991
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Also, in what you say you eat, there's almost no protein. Protein is an essential nutrient. Our bodies can't manufacture it out of any other nutrient, we have to eat it. Vegetarians need a bit more protein than omnivores (it's an average protein quality issue), not less. I hope you're getting plenty, and just didn't mention it. (I'm 5'5", F, and target 100g minimum protein, usually exceed it.)

I've been vegetarian for 47+ years. There's no weight loss or health magic in vegetarianism. I was a thin vegetarian, got fat, then obese, stayed obese for quite a while (despite becoming a competitive athlete along the way), then got thin again . . . all as a vegetarian, eating whole grains and veggies and all kind of good stuff. (Plus, I feel compelled to add, adequate protein!). Vegetarianism is a fine thing, but I'd never encourage a person to go that route unless they have some ethical/moral reasons. It makes healthy eating a tiny bit more difficult, honestly - very manageable, but slightly more difficult.

Hunger is not a good guide to adequate calorie intake. I accidentally under-ate for a short time during weight loss (because MFP greatly underestimates my actual calorie needs). I felt great, energetic, not hungry . . . until I hit a wall suddenly, got weak and fatigued. Though I corrected quickly, it took multiple weeks to recover. No one needs that! Plus I was lucky that that was all that happened (other than maybe some hair-thinning a few weeks later - that tends to be a delayed effect).

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10761904/under-1200-for-weight-loss/p1

I know you're over 1200, but you should still read that: You're under what's sensible, frankly. I lost at a good clip, at a smaller height/weight than you (and twice as old) on 1400-1600 plus all carefully-estimated exercise calories, so gross intake of 1600-2000 most days. More importantly, I'm still at a healthy weight 6+ years later, because I learned how to eat in a long-term sustainable way, while I was losing.

If you're having trouble getting enough calories without feeling over-full, eat more nuts, seeds, peanut butter, avocados, olive oil or similar on salads/veggies, and that sort of thing. Lowballing calories is a bad plan.

eating less has been the only thing to get me results. From nov 2020 to nov 2021 i was down over 60lbs doing this without feeling off or tierd or any of that, then i let myself go free over the holidays and i'm still making up for it. Eating a goal of 1679 cal like the app said for my activity level led to more weight gain, i couldn't stand it... so i switched it up. i don't know why calories are so damning in terms of the way your viewed when you know what you have total and such. if i ate like this without calorie counting, no one would bat an eye.not even my own GP corrected me and i've been 100% with her from the get go. eating 2000 cal plus daily regardless of activity or calories burned will make me gain no matter what i do.. this week alone my measurements went down, my weight came back down.. i have to be doing something right?
  • kallen771991
    Options

also, i do get my protein in, i have meat at dinner and i eat almonds and peanut butter and such i never have issues with my protein amounts at all, i keep track of it closely because with the pcos its pretty important with my exercises
  • kallen771991
    Options
    A couple of things.

Starting puberty at 9 is the low end of normal and has been forever. I dont think that has any bearing on your weight loss calorie equation now, at age 30

If one app said 2000 calories and one said 1980 - that doesnt change anything either. Small variations between calculations to get basically same amount - realistically you won't be accurate to the exact 20 calories anyway.

Nothing wrong with avoiding sweets if that is what you want to do - just eat to the correct calorie amount with other calorie dense non-sweet foods

It isnt the calorie counting that is eye bat worthy - it is the low level of food intake - people would be concerned about you eating a low amount whether you counted the calories or not.

for dinner, i eat meat with some form of veggie and another side be it potatoes or mac n cheese..
    - Im a bit lost as to how that constitutes 'eating mainly vegetarian'
    What you mean is you have reduced your meat intake??

this week alone my measurements went down, my weight came back down.. i have to be doing something right?

Nobody disputes that you will lose weight doing what you are doing.

Will you lose it at a safe sustainable way and continue on your plan and then keep it off? - that is the question.

I don't get how i could do better than i am... i get up around 8 or 9, have my coffee and breakfast, i eat lunch by 12, then i have dinner by 5,, then in bed by 9 and asleep by 10...

To anseer you, i started having veggies and fruit in place of chips and meat, meat is expensive but i eat broccoli, sweet potatoes, carrots... but i always have an apple with it..

I literally have 12 to 13 hr of awake time... idk what else i can do to meet what i'm told is normal calorie amounts without making myself sick....or eatting junk foods...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    so you have cut down your meat intake - you are not eating mainly vegetarian.

If you cut down your meat intake a lot, be aware of the need to source protein from alternative sources - like Ann said.
    She is very knowlegable and experienced in that area - me, not being a vegetarian, am not.

I'm not sure what you mean by " I dont know how I could do better than I am"

Bottom line: to lose weight is a safe and sustainable way you need to eat the appropriate amount of calories, on average, per day - and eat a reasonably nutritiously balanced diet.
    there is a threads with sources of calorie dense nutritious foods if that would help you - perhaps somebody could link it for you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    A couple of things.

Starting puberty at 9 is the low end of normal and has been forever. I dont think that has any bearing on your weight loss calorie equation now, at age 30

If one app said 2000 calories and one said 1980 - that doesnt change anything either. Small variations between calculations to get basically same amount - realistically you won't be accurate to the exact 20 calories anyway.

Nothing wrong with avoiding sweets if that is what you want to do - just eat to the correct calorie amount with other calorie dense non-sweet foods

It isnt the calorie counting that is eye bat worthy - it is the low level of food intake - people would be concerned about you eating a low amount whether you counted the calories or not.

for dinner, i eat meat with some form of veggie and another side be it potatoes or mac n cheese..

this week alone my measurements went down, my weight came back down.. i have to be doing something right?

Will you lose it at a safe sustainable way and continue on your plan and then keep it off? - that is the question.

I don't get how i could do better than i am... i get up around 8 or 9, have my coffee and breakfast, i eat lunch by 12, then i have dinner by 5,, then in bed by 9 and asleep by 10...

To anseer you, i started having veggies and fruit in place of chips and meat, meat is expensive but i eat broccoli, sweet potatoes, carrots... but i always have an apple with it..

I literally have 12 to 13 hr of awake time... idk what else i can do to meet what i'm told is normal calorie amounts without making myself sick....or eatting junk foods...

Once again, quoting my PP: Eat more nuts, seeds, peanut butter, avocados, olive oil or similar on salads/veggies, and that sort of thing.
  • kallen771991
    Options
    so you have cut down your meat intake - you are not eating mainly vegetarian.

If you cut down your meat intake a lot, be aware of the need to source protein from alternative sources - like Ann said.
    She is very knowlegable and experienced in that area - me, not being a vegetarian, am not.

I'm not sure what you mean by " I dont know how I could do better than I am"

Bottom line: to lose weight is a safe and sustainable way you need to eat the appropriate amount of calories, on average, per day - and eat a reasonably nutritiously balanced diet.
    there is a threads with sources of calorie dense nutritious foods if that would help you - perhaps somebody could link it for you.

I upped my calories for 2 months and i just kept gaining, both in measurements and weight.... i don't want to gain anymore by over eating :( this is the first bit of progress i've had in months , i eat till i'm full. Eating when your full is unhealthy.. not to mention i don't understand why i can't eat like this long term without issue. Once i hit a certain weight my current eating will be what they say you should do. I don't get how your fatter, and you have to eat more when your just trying to loose fat you got from over eating in the first place. >_< i hate this... i don't want to gain again :( adjusting and eating more does that.. it won't work for me to go back up.....
  • kallen771991
    Options
    A couple of things.

Once again, quoting my PP: Eat more nuts, seeds, peanut butter, avocados, olive oil or similar on salads/veggies, and that sort of thing.

I do tho :( i eat almonds and peanut butter and beans and meat with dinners, i get enough protein i swear... i just can't eat when i'm full... i shouldn't, its what made me a blob to begin with :(
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    A couple of things.

I do tho :( i eat almonds and peanut butter and beans and meat with dinners, i get enough protein i swear... i just can't eat when i'm full... i shouldn't, its what made me a blob to begin with :(

Do you log what you eat? Mayyyyyyyybe it would be a good idea to open your diary so the people who know what they're talking about can make more suggestions.

• kallen771991
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    A couple of things.

Do you log what you eat? Mayyyyyyyybe it would be a good idea to open your diary so the people who know what they're talking about can make more suggestions.

Yes i log it, i log it all and accurately in ounces or grams. I was kinda hoping for a pat on the back, this week was far from easy.... did several calculators that say right around 1990 is what i'm looking at for extreme weight loss... but thats not counting exercise, so i guess i'm supposed to eat more and pray i start to loose at some given point... makes no sense to me how eating healthy amounts of healthy food isn't enough, i take supplaments, i gave up the meal shakes, trying so hard to not eat when i'm upset and stressed... one fraction says don't calorie count the others swear by it.. some say you can eat what you want, others say you have to eat certain ways.... i'm about to give up here.. whats the right answer? The 30 min a day is the only time i get for consistancy, i hate going to the gym, i feel so judged for how i look, i loose in wierd ways on my body, i hold water weight like crazy, i'm not supposed to enjoy anything i eat anymore, at the mercy of insulin resistance even tho i'm not diabetic, my doctor is no help, i can't afford to see a diatician, i can't just up my calories, that hasn't helped anything in the past year and a half now :( i know consistancy is key but have 2 kids and a husband that don't need my eating dramas restricting their diets so i can loose weight..... they don't need to. I don't want to hit 303 again and assume the best because i'm eating what a calculator says i'm supposed to... that mskes no sense at all.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    You have come to the wrong place if you want a pat on the back for losing in the fastest possible way - MFP is not designed to do that and posters generally, for good reason, do not support that approach.

Yes - MFP system is not including exercise - so if your calorie allowance is 1990, you are expected to eat back exercise calories as well.

Just be mindful that some exercise calculations over estimate exercise calories - some people suggest eating back half (for example if the calculation says you burned 200 calories, just eat an extra 100) That is probably a good starting point.

calorie counting or not calorie counting - just different tools or approaches. You need to eat about the right calorie amount to lose at a healthy steady sustainable rate - whether you count them or follow some other method
    MFP is basically a calorie counting site -so people here will support and explain that approach.

Glassyo is right - we can give general advice but if you want more help specific to you - Open your diary.

or if you dont wan't advice and "Just wanted to see what you all would say about this weeks triumph! :) thanks in advance! " - you are posting in wrong place, sorry for the disappointment, that isnt how MFP forum works.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I hesitated about replying to this thread, only because I thought the OP had done excellent. o:)
    Five days at a little over 1400 calories a day? Isn't that a good thing? Unless OP is out running marathons or burning 3K calories a day, etc. And OP admitted she's eating good nutritional food, getting her protein, etc.

MFP has me down for 1200 cal. a day, I'm 5'9", sedentary, weigh 144. I do eat 1/2-all of the calories back that I burn through any exercise I might do.

OP, maybe I missed it but did you just restart this, this past Monday? What does the scale say?

I'm sure, as you go along, and your tastes change, along with everything else, you'll probably change things around a bit. If you're allowed 1900-2000 calories a day, what about adding a protein fruit filled smoothie? Or more fruits, veggies and protein in your day? Or add a couple snacks throughout your day that are healthy?

If I could have 1900-2000 calories a day, I'd probably be filling up with more junk so I'm like you in that respect. :/

Good luck to you and please don't get disheartened. You have to do what works for you, as long as it's a healthy way of doing things and you can keep doing it for life. :)