Tall Women and Weight

Options
1234568»

Replies

• eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9". I currently weigh 148. I started at 218. My goal is 145, mainly to rid a bit of belly flub. I doubt I will go lower, as other parts of my body are looking thin.
  • Lilanivd
    Lilanivd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow I feel short compared to most of you ladies. I am 5'8 and I currently weigh 209, I currently wear a size 16, but I think our sizes might be smaller then American sizes. I ve started eating better and working out about 5 months ago. I generally do weight training 3x a week and spinning or HIIT 2-3 times week. I didn't keep up with how much I weighed at the start, but I ve lost quite few inches. I joined MPF because I ve noticed that Ive lost 2 inches around my waist and 1 inch around my hips in the last month, yet I didn't lose anything on the scale. I ve never cared too much about the scale, but I though it would be better to try and keep track of what I actually ate. I dont have a clue about what my goal weight would be, the smallest I ve been has been a size 10, or 8 if I was really lucky. But that seems like ages ago. I guess I would just like to fit into a size 12 perhaps, that is were I felt comfortable. I dont have a big build, but I think I am always going to be on heavy side, as it seems like I have big muscles. I was a gymnast for quite a few years, starting from a young age so I ve always had muscle. Now that I am training again you can really see how my leg muscles are developing, and some arm muscles. So therefore my goal right now is just to somehow get to 170.
    This is a great topic, at times I ve been a bit discouraged as I ve started at size 18/20, and I knew I was losing inches, so I was a bit discouraged that I ve only been able to drop about 1 1/2 sizes in about 5 months. But now that Ive read around here it actually makes a lot of sense.
    The funny thing about being tall is when people wear the same size clothing as you and they think they are the same size as you, yet they are much shorter.

Anyways it really sounds like everyone on here is doing an amazing job, good luck to everyone!
  • LoveInnocent
    LoveInnocent Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'11"
    I weighed 125-128 pounds before I got pregnant (my weight fluctuated from day to day)
    I ended up in the hospital for being too underweight. I didnt think I looked bad, personally, but everyone told me I was too thin and looked sick. My doctor said I should have been at least in the 160's range. I am now 32 weeks pregnant and almost 170 pounds. Which my doctor said isnt a huge deal (that Ive gained so much) because right now im "just in the healthy weight range for my height," so id say about 170 is healthy for this height. Everyone tells me I look great for being 8 months pregnant, even though I feel extremely huge. :p

It's not abnormal to feel huge when you are pregnant but atleast in your picture you look great and you look healthy. It's fine to gain weight when you are pregnant I think you need to work on maybe toning your body up and building up your confidence while at it, in the end as long as you are feeding yourself (and your baby which I am sure you are haha) that is all that really matters.
  • shn00ky55
    Options
    I also am 6'0 close to 6'1. I currently weigh 215 but would like to weigh around 160. Would you be interested in friending me and maybe we can share ideas? Thanks.
  • sheskimtastic
    Options
    I just spent 20 minutes reading this thread and it's so inspiring.

I'm 5'9" and started my weight loss at 201. I never thought I looked particularly big but mostly because I surrounded myself with like-sized people. I'm down to 175 as of today and I've often been worried I will look too skinny if I get down too low. The BMI range for my height is 125 to 169 for healthy weights. I'm aiming for around 135-140. This thread has been so encouraging about how I should feel about my tall frame. Thanks guys!
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Best thing about being tall: my maintenance calories are 2500 + exercise calories.

Worst thing about being tall: listening to short people talk about how "disgusting" it is to be 120 pounds.

Best thing about being tall: you can hide weight gain well.

Worst thing about being tall: long haul flying in economy class.

This is funny and true. Thankfully for me, I have average legs and long torso so though it is tight in economy(cant cross my legs) its not brutal.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I hate seeing those little gals that loose 5lbs and 2 dress sizes. It take me like 20lbs to loose a dress size :-( On the other hand, I know exactly what you gals mean when you say we carry our weight well. Even at a size 10 or 12 people think I am an 8 and 150 lbs. I am 5'10" and here is a picture from last summer at 175 lbs size 12.

100MEDIA36copy.jpg
  • runlilyrun
    runlilyrun Posts: 140
    Options
    Nice to see some fellow tall women here, I am 180 cm (5'11) and 72kg (159lbs). I hope to get to a 70kg, maybe not much but I really had to make a change as I was going up on the scale and I need to find a way to stabilize again.

I have quite a big frame and I have come to peace with myself that I can loose all the weight but I will maintain a hips, broad shoulders and boobs. Even with the best will in the world I will not be able to wear certain clothes that looks nice on petite women and also when I put something on that does not have a V neck & tailored I will look like a big Michelin tube man.

Anybody else finding it sometimes difficult when you are taller to find good clothes that not only fit you but also look nice without being to bulky?

Yes! V difficult to find cute clothes when you're tall. Try Long Tall Sally or Boden (which carries most of their stuff in talls)

I agree with Boden! I love their stuff.
  • runlilyrun
    runlilyrun Posts: 140
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and 136lbs at the moment which is exactly where I'm at my most comfortable. I have quite a small frame and I feel uncomfortable when bigger. I'm a UK size 8/10 and sometimes 12 which suits me fine - I'm happy with my weight at the minute, I just want to focus on building strength and fitness.

As a side note to any other tall girls in the UK - where can I get longer lengths apart from Topshop and Next???
    I'm currently wearing a pair of New Look jeans which are a good length on me, but I'm an inch shorter than you with short legs for my height. Boden stock everything in long - and check out Gap (though sadly their talls are only online).
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    TustyRusty: So if I feel good and feel healthy and look the way I want to look should I still aim to be a weight that my BMI will measure as Average?
    Good for you!
    Healthy BMI is a RANGE. If I was at the average BMI,I would look like a cadaver.
    Here is a more reasonable BMI calculator that accounts for some variables:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Wow I feel short compared to most of you ladies. I am 5'8 and I currently weigh 209, I currently wear a size 16, but I think our sizes might be smaller then American sizes. I ve started eating better and working out about 5 months ago. I generally do weight training 3x a week and spinning or HIIT 2-3 times week. I didn't keep up with how much I weighed at the start, but I ve lost quite few inches. I joined MPF because I ve noticed that Ive lost 2 inches around my waist and 1 inch around my hips in the last month, yet I didn't lose anything on the scale. I ve never cared too much about the scale, but I though it would be better to try and keep track of what I actually ate. I dont have a clue about what my goal weight would be, the smallest I ve been has been a size 10, or 8 if I was really lucky. But that seems like ages ago. I guess I would just like to fit into a size 12 perhaps, that is were I felt comfortable. I dont have a big build, but I think I am always going to be on heavy side, as it seems like I have big muscles. I was a gymnast for quite a few years, starting from a young age so I ve always had muscle. Now that I am training again you can really see how my leg muscles are developing, and some arm muscles. So therefore my goal right now is just to somehow get to 170.
    This is a great topic, at times I ve been a bit discouraged as I ve started at size 18/20, and I knew I was losing inches, so I was a bit discouraged that I ve only been able to drop about 1 1/2 sizes in about 5 months. But now that Ive read around here it actually makes a lot of sense.
    The funny thing about being tall is when people wear the same size clothing as you and they think they are the same size as you, yet they are much shorter.

Anyways it really sounds like everyone on here is doing an amazing job, good luck to everyone!

I'm 5ft 8 also, and started out similar to you, maybe a bit bigger - size 20/22 perhaps.
    That was Jan 13, and now I'm sitting in work in a pair of 12 UK jeans from M&S that fit perfectly (although M&S might be a bit on the vanity size side of things!) and I've been wearing these jeans for a few weeks now although they fit better now than they did a few weeks ago.
    It seemed to take forever to lose sizes at the time, but thinking about it now, it couldn't realistically have happened any faster!

I never weighed myself this whole time, except for once about 7 weeks ago, and I was 172lbs - which was incredibly disheartening, but I honestly just think that I am built that way. My dad told me my whole family has "heavy bones" - even my very thin sisters are much heavier than they look.
    I don't intend to weigh myself again - I'm just going by how I feel and look.
    I am pretty delighted with how I look right now, so the scale can get lost.