Runner/cyclist debating complete change of fitness goals - help!

Options
2»

Replies

• cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The best thing I can do when I struggle is sign up for an event and train for It. During the pandemic it was virtual events but I trained hard anyway and found it didn’t matter to me if they were live or virtual. It was the act of the commitment that keeps me motivated.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I've been in and am still in a similar situation. 2 things about your scenario stand out to me...

First -- You can't be injured.
    If running results in injuries, you need to stop. Or at the very least dial it back and supplement with something will help with injury prevention.

Second -- Get back to loving the things you love.
    If having certain goals take the fun out of it, change your goals/focus. Less time spent doing something you love is better than spending more time on something that feels like a chore/obligation.

And just as a footnote...
    If you're heavier, less trained, and older than what you used to be, then you can't have the same standards/expectations as you had previously. I've been trying to come to terms with this for the last few years and it's crippling for my ego. But an 8minute mile running or a 20mph average cycling is no longer realistic for me. I can't judge myself based on what I used to do. If that's screwing with you, find a way to shift your perspective. Easier said than done, but IMO it can play a big role and shouldn't be overlooked.