Replies

• LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yep just read it a few mins ago
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article. It drives me nuts how so many uninformed people regurgitate what they read about "starvation mode" to others who complain about not losing weight by eating x amount of calories.

The common thing I read is something like: You're only eating (usually a number 1500 or less) calories a day. You're in starvation mode and your body is holding onto (or gaining) fat to preserve itself. You need to eat more in order to lose more.

That's complete bull. It's also dangerous to tell people who are overweight that they need to eat more in order to lose, because I'm betting they aren't losing because they aren't accurately tracking their calories and are actually eating over maintenance.

If you're overweight or not dangerously thin, you could eat 0 calories a day for quite some time and not experience starvation. Why? Your body gets its energy from your fat store. Is it recommended? No. People get fixated on calories and ignore what else food provides us - nutrients that are essential for bodily functions. VLCDs will make you lose weight and not go into starvation mode until you have no fat to burn, but they also make you malnourished and unhealthy.
    Speaking of uniformed....

LOL, how so? What specifically is uninformed about my post that you would like to argue about? But hey, way to contribute to the discussion and adding something worthwhile.

You left out metabolic adaptation and especially for women, hormonal issues. VLCDs are no bueno unless the person is extremely obese and under supervision of a doctor. Most people need to use TOPS: Take Off Pounds Sensibly. That means eating a minimum of fats and protein and keeping your deficit less than 1000.

I said VLCDs are unhealthy and have poor nutrition when I mentioned them. But the point was that you'd still lose weight on them, as unhealthy as they are, because you're in a major calorie deficit. The article spoke about Adaptive Thermogenesis and how most people think your metabolism adapts so much that it almost stops, which is a myth. Hormonal issues and thyroid problems do cause metabolic issues, which has nothing to do with the starvation mode myth. People with those issues should be at the doctor's office, not on MFP asking us why they aren't losing weight.

Plain and simple: If you're overweight with excess body fat and do not have a medical issue, eating too little calories is probably not the reason why you aren't losing weight.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have no doubt than many people can lose weight on 1500 calories a day. And I have no doubt that many people can lose weight on 1100 calories a day.

But I would LOVE to see a study on which group gains it back, and which group keeps it off. I'd put my money on the 1500 calories a day people. Slow and steady and stable is more sustainable over the long term than more drastic deficits that mess with your metabolism.

I'm unimpressed with any arguments that say "I did XYZ, and I lost weight", because MOST people who lose weight...gain it back, plus a little extra.

You answered your own question. Most people gain it back. It doesn't really matter what method was used in terms of gaining it back. Let's say 90% of people gain it back. Do you really believe 90% of American dieters are really sticking to 1200 calorie diets? Eating 1200 calories consistently, regularly, not cheating, not overeating, not underestimating? (Studies reflect most underestimate their calories.) Eating 1200 calories for a day or a week or even a month is not the cause of people gaining back their weight. Attempting a 1200 calorie diet is not the same as sticking to one. Do we blame 1200 calories for the first time they gained weight, before they ever dieted? Or do we blame overeating, apathy or lack of awareness causing very slight overeating that accumulates over time, or just poor habits? If they did it once, why would we not go to the simplest conclusion-they did it again? It's not because they were starved or deprived on 1200 calories .That's only satisfactory for so long. At some point, we just have to look to the person. It takes long-term maintenance work to keep attentive to your intake and output. It's very easy to gain weight for most of us when we aren't paying attention. Some people are better able or motivated to keep attending to their intake. Others aren't.

People know how to lose weight and how to maintain it. We like our denial, though. Some periods of our lives, we'd rather plead ignorance or choose to let it go to attend to something else that is begging for our attention or our energy. Some periods of our lives, we'd just like to go into defiance mode and eat whatever we want, how much we want. We rebel against ourselves to our own detriment. But that's nothing new. How many years do you get to blame 1200 calorie diets? I saw someone who had lost weight on a 1200 calorie diet and kept it off for four years before regaining post recently. Others blamed her 1200 calorie diet from four years ago. Yep, let's look to what she did four years ago instead of what she did last month. If you get food poisoning, do you dig up your food diaries from four years ago? She said herself she just stopped attending to what she was doing. People get bored, find it tedious, just gradually let it go.

(I don't think 1200 calorie diets are the way to go for probably the majority of the people. Many people really can lose weight eating more than that. I have no problems with people understanding that and people promoting that. It's better nutrient wise and socially and just personal satisfaction for most to be able to eat as much as they can while still losing weight. I do think there are exceptions who have lower intake needs due to combinations of height, weight, genetics, activity levels, body composition, age, gender. But the argument that 1200 calories is what causes weight regain in a population that has already proven the capability of becoming overweight without a deprivation trigger is frustrating. There are plenty of reasons to help people understand why they can eat more without making claims that there bodies will hold onto fat or become irreparably damaged or lead to some wild out of control overeating for the rest of their lives that at any time can be blamed on a 1200 calorie diet they did years ago.)
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I really wish people would carefully read a cited article before they start leaving comments.

There are links in this article that contain a lot of very sensible information. Try this one for instance http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-lose-fat/

I weigh and measure everything that goes in my mouth. I also carefully tracked my calories in a spreadsheet for several months and when I got a Fitbit, I started tracking what it said my calorie burn was. I lost and regained the same 3 pounds for SIXTEEN weeks. I got frustrated and wondered if I needed to decrease my calories or hell, maybe I need to eat more! But a couple of very smart people on this site told me to hang tight and keep doing what I was doing. I did and now I'm losing again. Losing a lot actually.

I don't know why my body balked at letting go of the weight. I don't think anyone really knows why that happens. Our bodies are organic, not machines. They are subject to changes in levels of hormones and other things that I won't pretend to even understand. What I do know is that if you are accurately counting your calories and accurately determining the number of calories you're burning and you are in a deficit, you will lose weight. It may not be at the rate you want and you may hit some periods in the process where it seems like it's not working but you have to just push through. But first you have to be very honest with yourself. Are you grabbing a grape or two from the fridge every time you open it (guilty), are you nibbling on the left overs from your kids plate, are you adding cream and a little sugar to your coffee, etc.... Little things can add up and for some of us, even 100 unaccounted calories a day can be the difference between losing and staying the same.

If you want to eat 1200 calories a day and you're happy with that, then go for it. I'm happy eating 1600 calories a day but I suspect that as I get closer to my goal, I'm going to have to decrease them some. Or maybe I'll have put on a little muscle or decided that I LOVE to run and I won't have to. Who knows. The bottom line is that study after study has shown that unless you have something medically wrong with you, if you are in a deficit, you will lose weight.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read in detail later.

It looks like an excellent article to whip out when people are touting "starvation mode" instead of examining whether or not they are actually maintaining a caloric deficit.

Thank you to the original poster for sharing the article.

Edited to add the link for easy retrieval later:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    The amount of times I've seen "Eating 800 calories, I'm not losing weight" your advice would be to eat less?

No, start weighing and see if your REALLY eating 800 calories. Bet your not!
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    The amount of times I've seen "Eating 800 calories, I'm not losing weight" your advice would be to eat less?

Already been covered in this thread.

The advise would be to ensure you are accurately tracking calories, because in all probability, they are under counting.

Just kind of curious, but what's your suggestion if it turns they aren't under-counting? It's not a lot of help if someone is eating 800 calories, and logging accurately, and the only response is "Well that sucks." What do you tell them then?

See a DR.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Great article showed up in my friend feed:

The TL;DR is this: For virtually all people, if you aren't losing weight, it is for one reason only: You aren't really maintaining a calorie deficit.

Starvation mode only happens once you have lost so much body fat that you can't lose anymore without dying. If you are overweight, and you eat a calorie deficit, you will lose weight no matter what.

If you think you are dieting and you are not losing weight the most likely explanation is you aren't accurately tracking your calories.

Thanks OP. I read the entire article and also some of the associated articles on this site. They are well written, easy to understand and full of good common sense and advice.

So often in this whole weight loss gig I think there is one answer - be honest. Be honest with yourself. Accurately tracking food/drink/exercise always gives the answer.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    So often in this whole weight loss gig I think there is one answer - be honest. Be honest with yourself. Accurately tracking food/drink/exercise always gives the answer.

That is a fantastic insight!
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Great post!!! thanks
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options

The TL;DR is this: For virtually all people, if you aren't losing weight, it is for one reason only: You aren't really maintaining a calorie deficit.

Starvation mode only happens once you have lost so much body fat that you can't lose anymore without dying. If you are overweight, and you eat a calorie deficit, you will lose weight no matter what.

If you think you are dieting and you are not losing weight the most likely explanation is you aren't accurately tracking your calories.
    YAY!!! Finally, that is exactly what my Doctor told me when I asked him about it !!! Said I had plenty "stored" I didn't need to worry about "starvation mode" My body will use up reserves first Hence weight loss :tongue:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

YAY!!! Finally, that is exactly what my Doctor told me when I asked him about it !!! Said I had plenty "stored" I didn't need to worry about "starvation mode" My body will use up reserves first Hence weight loss :tongue:

It's interesting how popular weight loss beliefs develop. In the past, no one ever thought that an overweight person was in any danger of starving as long as s/he ate a basically balanced diet. It's also counter-intuitive.
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I like this. It's a good read. So thank you for posting!

Though sadly I have a feeling this thread will soon be swarmed with aggression and key board warrior opinions >.< Head for the hills ARGHHHH!!!

That's FUNNY....because it always happens.....lol. Every fitness buff is an expert :)
  • deathtaco
    Options

My advice would be to stop cheating your diet, because you're obviously not only eating 800 calories.
  • musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I usually try to stick to 1200 calories on my diet (Dr. recommended 1200 - 1500) and then I have a little room for a little extra if I desire it... However there are times due to my work schedule as a teacher (I teach band and choir, so with football games, parades, and all the extra things that we are called to do, I don't get time to eat anything or it's something quick like a container of yogurt...) or my monthly paycheck just doesn't stretch out far enough... so I don't make it to a 1000 calories... Then I get people saying that I am causing more harm than good, due to starvation mode... then I get to feeling really bad...

So thank you to the OP for this article... I don't feel quite so guilty or bad!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

No I would not tell them to eat less, but would encourage them to weigh all their food and log correctly, because I would assume that they are eating a lot more than 800 calories.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Most people who believe in "starvation mode" are the people on here who are relatively new to nutrition, still moderately-to-severely overweight, and (of course) will lose weight on 1800 calories per day when starting from 300+ pounds.

I have used 1300 calories a day for ages, have a BMI of 19.5 (5'9" tall) and have never gained a single pound from "not eating enough". What a ridiculous notion.

The only reason I have ever gained weight is from eating too much junk and drinking alcohol.

I'm 127 lbs, 37, and lose on 1800 cal per day. I can also drink alcohol and lose weight. No, I'm not a special snowflake. But I do feel sorry for people who think they can only eat 1300 cal/day to either maintain their weight or lose weight. My RMR is 1580 calories (tested). That means I burn nearly 1600 cal/day just sitting. Maintenence for me is about 2100 calories/day.

Food is not the enemy. No one gets a medal from eating too little. They just get hungry.

Can I buy you a drink? Seriously - you rock for that last line alone.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Ive been fighting with this mentally because I feel this way too. But plateaus...
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading at page 3 of this topic.

Bottom line for me.

Yes I am trying to lose weight, but more importantly I am trying to change my eating habits so that once I lose the weight I dont have to worry about gaining it again. Can I lose on less than 1200, yes, can I lose at 1500-1800, yes. Which option will give me a better chance of seeing it through???? Yup....the higher one.
  • musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am going to repeat... If you are concerned, don't listen to people here on the boards... go see a nutritionist and/or a doctor for their educational feedback...they know you better than people here on the boards...