Bodybuilder to Obese

Options
punkypump
punkypump Posts: 30 Member
Hello,
Yes, I am a former bodybuilder that is now obese. How does that happen you say? Well, it takes an all-or-nothing type personality. I went from working out 2 or 3 times a day, to eating 2 or 3 servings for dinner. It has been a roller coaster. Not only physically, but mentally. It’s hard to admit my story because I suffered for a long time, to what I termed, food anxiety. I am searching for friends to help me on my journey to a lifestyle that is healthy and not extreme. Please feel free to add me, or ask me questions.
XOXX PUNKY

Replies

• VeryHungryCatepillar45
    VeryHungryCatepillar45 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ditto, you are not alone!

I am a former "all-or-nothing type" marathon runner that is now obese. A stress fracture of the hip when the stress eating of Coivd hit in early 2020 = 50+ pounds heavier in 2022.
  • mariamiskimon22
    mariamiskimon22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel all of you and am excited that you are a part of the MyFitnessPal community. I continue to struggle with my weight and should win an award for my yo-yoing! Success for me started with one tiny adjustment to my diet and my physical habits. It took years to get down to a manageable weight because I knew if I jumped into a weightless program or fad diet, I'd go right back to my bad eating habits. So, I did the long haul of small tweaks and from it developed really good habits for myself.

Good luck to you, to all of you. We are all in this fight together. Stay strong!
  • FeastRepeat
    FeastRepeat Posts: 1,113 Member
    Options
    I have never been a hardcore bodybuilder but can certainly relate to your story @punkypump. Food anxiety, binge tendencies, emotional eating, etc... battling this for years now. I just rejoined MFP yesterday to try and dial things in a bit. I wish you the best. :)
  • ehloring1234
    ehloring1234 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also in a similar situation. Lost 50+, managed to keep most of it off but can’t seem to build up any consistency to lose the 10+ lbs I regained. I’ll have a good few days - they go off the deep end and regain the good I did. It’s very frustrating when you know what to do, how to do it, but just don’t listen to yourself. How can we help each other?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    punkypump wrote: »
    Hello,
    Yes, I am a former bodybuilder that is now obese. How does that happen you say? Well, it takes an all-or-nothing type personality. I went from working out 2 or 3 times a day, to eating 2 or 3 servings for dinner. It has been a roller coaster. Not only physically, but mentally. It’s hard to admit my story because I suffered for a long time, to what I termed, food anxiety. I am searching for friends to help me on my journey to a lifestyle that is healthy and not extreme. Please feel free to add me, or ask me questions.
    XOXX PUNKY
    Actually I don't agree. I've been bodybuilding since 1983 and still train like a bodybuilder now with a lot of adjustments based on recovery and age now. It DOESN'T have to be all or nothing. You just get back to some common sense habitual behaviors. Now I've never used PED's so that can make a difference I guess, but I've maintained about the same physique since my 20's. A little smalle and weaker mind you, but I don't train with the same frequency nor do I go all out any more due to how long it takes to recover now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png