Clean Eating....... Does it work?

Options
I've heard a lot of hype about "Clean Eating" aiding natural weight lose, i.e. no diet to follow and wondered if anyone has either adapted their diet or has in the past tried this and how successful they felt it was in reducing weight?

Replies

• tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Clean eating works, assuming you're in a caloric deficit.

The reason being is "clean" food tends to be low in calories in comparison. You feel fuller while eating less calories.

In the end it's all about caloric deficit, though. Do what ever you think you can realistically stay with for years. For most people that's flexible dieting, not clean eating.

I ate clean for 8 months a couple years ago, I lost about 20lbs doing so. However, it was bland and I couldn't stick with it for the long term. The weight didn't bounce back, but it did slowly creep up after I went back to regular eating.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    All diets work. The key though is a diet that can be maintained indefinitely, thrive on and without stress. Find one that works for you. My particular diet is designed by me and is based mostly on whole foods, minimally processed, with no food group or particular food exempt unless, it's something I don't particularly like and there isn't too many foods that I don't.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Eating clean whole foods works.

I don't "diet" because I believe the word "diet" sets people up to fail. Instead, I made the choice to stop buying pre-made frozen foods, cook more, and eat out far less. I've almost completely cut out fast food from my life, indulging maybe twice a year. I chose this route because I wanted something sustainable and I knew that if I approached it with the "diet mentality" (eating clean till I got results and then reverting back to my old ways) I would fail. I don't try to be too strict with myself, but 90% of the time I am eating healthy and well.

Like the previous poster said, "In the end it's all about caloric deficit". Maintain your calorie deficit, fuel your body with good foods, and you will see the weight come off.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Being at a caloric deficit will = weight loss.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

This^^^^^
  • BooBoo1264
    BooBoo1264 Posts: 164
    Options
    I am not 100% sure what it does for "diet" but i noticed when i made the switch a few months back, I feel fuller much quicker and I also have way more energy.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

This^^^^^
    yup.
  • darkblue920
    Options
    I agree with the majority that being in a caloric deficit is what actually leads to weight loss. For the past couple months, I have been working on clean eating and yes, the weight will come off for all the reasons already shared, but what I do it for is the boundless energy I have when I eat clean, healthy food. It's not that I never fit a piece of pizza or something unhealthy in to my calorie goals, but I have started to crave those things less when I eat healthy food, because what I have been craving is the energy & mental clarity I get by eating whole, natural foods. Choose a diet you'll stick with, but make sure what you choose makes you feel good! :)
  • Butterflymomto2
    Butterflymomto2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Eating clean whole foods works.

I don't "diet" because I believe the word "diet" sets people up to fail. Instead, I made the choice to stop buying pre-made frozen foods, cook more, and eat out far less. I've almost completely cut out fast food from my life, indulging maybe twice a year. I chose this route because I wanted something sustainable and I knew that if I approached it with the "diet mentality" (eating clean till I got results and then reverting back to my old ways) I would fail. I don't try to be too strict with myself, but 90% of the time I am eating healthy and well.

Like the previous poster said, "In the end it's all about caloric deficit". Maintain your calorie deficit, fuel your body with good foods, and you will see the weight come off.

This. It's not a diet it's about eating food that is not processed with filler's, chemical's, just really unhealthy ingredients. I have learned for myself that cooking, preparing, buying grass fed protein and organic fruits and veggies is worth it to me. There are ways around this. Some people say well I don't have time to cook, blah, blah. You can prepare your meals and have them set up in frig. Instead of eating at fast food place, then drink a meal replacement shake. Make sure it's a good protein, and enough protein to keep you full.
  • Butterflymomto2
    Options
    I agree with the majority that being in a caloric deficit is what actually leads to weight loss. For the past couple months, I have been working on clean eating and yes, the weight will come off for all the reasons already shared, but what I do it for is the boundless energy I have when I eat clean, healthy food. It's not that I never fit a piece of pizza or something unhealthy in to my calorie goals, but I have started to crave those things less when I eat healthy food, because what I have been craving is the energy & mental clarity I get by eating whole, natural foods. Choose a diet you'll stick with, but make sure what you choose makes you feel good! :)

SO true! Since I have been Clean Eating..I have noticed a huge energy increase plus my Shakeology meal replacement protein drink helps me get that energy! I love feeling this way and I don't want to eat that candy, white sugar, fast food, and so on.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is the exact opposite of eating "clean".
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    nevermind
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Most definitely. However, filling up on "whole" foods - meats, fruits, veggies works best for me. For me, eating starchy foods leaves me hungry again in very short order. Clean eating tends make me focus on filling up with nutrient-dense foods, so I don't get so darn hungry all the time and can stay within my macros.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat clean, I eat what fits my calories and is cheap, usually that's raw fruits and veggies mixed with with proteins and cheese :) - not really a carb eater, personally.

Sometimes is canned for frozen fruits and veggies if they are on sale and I want to stock up, plus their usually pre-cut which is oh-so-convenient.

Sometimes I grill chicken breast, sometimes I use (heaven-forbid!) processed lunch meat.

Sometimes I go for the fat-free processed cheese and sometimes I need more fat to meet my macros so I use the full fat version... heck I've been known to add a random tablespoon of butter to things to up my fats for the day.

Basically, I keep a variety of raw/fresh, frozen, and canned options available to make my "lifestyle change" manageable - and tasty!

PS.. If I have 200 calories left over and I want a treat, there is no way in hell I'm reaching for a bowl of mixed berries and organic yogurt over a blueberry poptart. Eat what makes you happy!!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    PS.. If I have 200 calories left over and I want a treat, there is no way in hell I'm reaching for a bowl of mixed berries and organic yogurt over a blueberry poptart. Eat what makes you happy!!

wrong-answer.jpg

Ice cream is the correct answer.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options

wrong-answer.jpg

Your ability to only eat 200 calories of ice cream is beyond-human! That's a 300-400 calorie excess for me :)
  • Butterflymomto2
    Options
    Shakeology is the exact opposite of eating "clean".

Not true, Im on Vegan Tropical Strawberry Flavor shakeology and it is working for me. I have looked at the ingredients and find nothing wrong with it. Thanks for your concern though. I have been eating clean and doing really good at staying away from the fast food, frozen meals, bakery type items, white bread, anything white, and so on..and so on.
  • Butterflymomto2
    Options
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It does for me. It's about energy and feeling good...but it is so personal! I cook, I am good at it and I love it. If you don't at least want to learn to cook, then choosing this type of lifestyle may get a little boring and predictable. There are certainly enough web sites out there with AWESOME recipes - give it a shot for a few weeks or a month - you will never know if it is right for YOU until you try and what do you have to loose??

PS - I still have to count calories and stay below my goal to actually LOOSE weight...clean eating without having to count is what I aspire to for maintenance...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

wrong-answer.jpg

Your ability to only eat 200 calories of ice cream is beyond-human! That's a 300-400 calorie excess for me :)

Not if your weighing and/or measuring your food then it becomes relatively easy to do..... :drinker: