5 weeks post VSG

shelley5623
shelley5623 Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2022 in Getting Started
What is the best way to set this app up for those of us who are post VSG?

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Had to Google VSG (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy) for anyone else who didn’t recognise the acronym.

I would sincerely hope your care team provided you with detailed instructions and information following your procedure. If that doesn’t give you enough knowledge to proceed then I’d strongly suggest you get back to them and ask them what you’ve asked here.

Probably not a great idea to take random advice from internet strangers when you’ve just had surgery which severely impacts your ability to eat and absorb nutrients.

We’re not experts - they are!

Best wishes for success!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,704 Member
    What is the best way to set this app up for those of us who are post VSG?

One thing you'll notice is that MFP won't let you close out your diary under a certain amount of calories. It considers 1200 to be the minimum for women and 1500 for men, to ensure adequate nutrition. This is to avoid encouraging eating disorders. That is often a frustration for people who has had gastric sleeve surgery or similar surgeries.

The good news is that you don't need to close your diary at the end of the day, your food will still be registered.
  • FaeryChaos
    FaeryChaos Posts: 18 Member
    I use Baritastic app for tracking my VSG meals and water/fluids , I still put my weight in here since I’ve used this app for years but my daily stuff is on Baritastic. It also has a section for vitamins and reminders that have been helpful.
  • LonnieBee1
    LonnieBee1 Posts: 1 Member
    shelley5623,

I will be 7 weeks post VSG tomorrow (we must have had surgery the same week) and I have kind of stalled for the last couple of weeks. Once I started tracking my intake here I realized that I'm not getting anywhere need my minimum nutrition needs, let alone my water.

I just left my profile set up for 1,200 calories per day but shoot for 1,000.