The Skinny on the U.S. growth of the fat people

Options
13»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When more than a quarter of the population is hit by an epidemic it just doesnt become the affected individual who is responsible it become all of our responsibility.

I have no answers NO ONE has the answers...its such a multifaceted state of emergency. It's very scary

Do you think part of the problem is the absolutely absurd definition of obesity......technically I'm obese.

No, because it's a very tiny portion of the population that measures as obese and does not have high BF.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    When more than a quarter of the population is hit by an epidemic it just doesnt become the affected individual who is responsible it become all of our responsibility.

I have no answers NO ONE has the answers...its such a multifaceted state of emergency. It's very scary

Do you think part of the problem is the absolutely absurd definition of obesity......technically I'm obese.

No, because it's a very tiny portion of the population that measures as obese and does not have high BF.

I find that highly debatable. Ideal body weights are absolutely absurd.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    When you eat like crap and sit on your butt all day what do you expect? I have no more symptom for people with excuses on "why" they are overweight? They blame the restaurants, fast food, government, schools and whoever else they can find.

Push away from the buffet, break a sweat and quit complaining.

or just stay fat.. The choice is yours.
  • wrentrotter
    Options
    Most people who are obese are unhealthy, or will become unhealthy in a matter of time, there are exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions. I don't think the definition of obesity is absurd.

I think it should be mandatory for the big chains at least to provide calorie counts on their menus. It would be great if everyone had to do this, but I don't see how it could be implemented. I know I make different choices if that information is there in restaurants. I think it also encourages the chains to offer lower calorie options. Some people won't care regardless, but it is nice to be able to make an informed choice. I'm in the UK and most supermarket foods now have the nutritional values on their packaging. If it isn't there, I usually won't buy it.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    What else can we do?

I vote we change the definition of obesity.

Cheapest solution IMO
    http://youtu.be/hRoSJ1y1FSY
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    The website referenced by OP is 2010 data. Could we see something more recent?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    There has to be some personal responsability here pure and simple. I also think at the very least they need to provide the public with basic information about what they are buying in fast food and resturants. It still boils down to a choice though and a lot of people are so hooked they would rather die than stop eating it. We regulate drugs because they are harmful to the health.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options

I believe you are incorrect. IBW is based on what is healthy. In fact the most recent information I have seen is that people at the LOWER end of the "normal" BMI range have longer life expectancy. Too bad we are used to seeing obese people- but the fact of the matter is it's not healthy to carry around excess fat.
  • acheron03
    Options
    I'm not sure that this post really belongs on this forum but I think it is an important topic.

I think that one of the biggest issues we need to address are the messages we send children about food. No more soda machines, candy machines, in schools. My high school's lunch menu was curly fries, pizza, noodle cup, pop tarts. It's not as big of a deal in high schools, granted, but most middle and elementary schools are the same way. Any many kids really do rely on that food. One of the reason the obesity rates are higher for lower income households is probably that the kids on free and reduced lunch are being taught that tater tots are an acceptable side dish to any and every meal.

one of the problems with the "good" school lunches is that schools lose money b/c the kids don't want a salad and so either bring food from home or just go hungry. There are schools dropping out of the healthy lunch program because they are losing 1000's of dollars. (just so someone doesn't assume it. I have no problem with kids bringing lunch from home. I did it 98% of the time when I was in school but schools lose money on that when too many kids do it)
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options

Obesity is not a contagious virus. People are obese for many different reasons including genetics

There is actually no genetic link to obesity.

I actually do think there is a genetic tendency regarding weight. I watched a program about identical twins that were separated at birth and found each other later in life. The program talked about their similarities such as favorite colors, jobs, hobbies, etc.. they never mentioned weight. But each set of twins were very close to the same weight, within probably 10 pounds. Some sets were thin, others were heavy, but there was not one set where one twin was heavy and one was thin. I can't think of an explanation for this other than genetics. I remember one set were women in their late fifties and had spent their whole lives apart, but they looked to be the exact same weight.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    We need to introduce sumo wrestling into every middle and high school in the United States.

It's really the only reasonable solution.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's a capitalist society.

Not unless Medicare has somehow turned into a private insurance plan.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I live in CO, having moved here from KY 16 years ago. Immediately after moving here, I noticed several differences in the lifestyles of those who live in the states. In CO, people are active-all the time. Not only are there many types of gyms available, there are also community recreation centers in every town which offer more affordable options. Walking/biking trails are common in neighborhoods in CO. They are easy to access and people use them-all the time, even when there is snow on the ground. It's a way of life here.

While living in KY, I found it difficult to find a decent place to bike. The streets were not bike friendly and there were no bike paths or many sidewalks for that matter. There weren't that many gyms available and there were more restaurants in a square mile than I have ever seen!:noway: However, when I go back to visit family now, I have seen some changes. More people there are getting out and walking or biking. Maybe things are starting to get more health conscious now.:smile: I hope so because the people there are some of the nicest people in the country!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    We need to introduce sumo wrestling into every middle and high school in the United States.

It's really the only reasonable solution.
    Sumo+Smash+Bros..+JUST+KIDDING+HAHAHA_ea8b06_4265512.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

We can debate it all day long but it won't change whether it's true or not. Unless we were debating what constitutes a "very tiny portion".