Trying to get started and stick to it!

KFit_77
KFit_77 Posts: 10 Member
Any advice for someone trying to lose 80 lbs? I'm always ready to give up before I even give myself a chance. How to get motivated and stick to it? Does it get easier? When does it get easier? HELP!

Replies

• ambercockayne
    ambercockayne Posts: 1 Member
    I’m in the same boat! Need to lose 60lbs and it’s hard for me to stick to anything. Especially when I notice that the progress is slower than I wanted.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,971 Member
    edited May 2022
    It gets easier if you focus on finding methods that are easier (for you personally) rather than focusing on finding methods that make it happen fast.

Set yourself up on MFP for a slow loss rate, not the maximum.

Figure out how to tweak your eating to reach your calorie goal, feel full, and get adequate nutrition, while eating foods you enjoy eating and find affordable/practical to eat. Unless you enjoy the eating style involved, ignore the tricksy, trendy, restrictive, rules-bound named "diets". More about that "remodel your eating" concept here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

Move more, in daily life and (if you can make time comfortably) exercise, focusing on doing things that you actually enjoy doing, rather than seeking out the most extreme calorie-burning exercise ever invented and exhausting yourself doing it. Create a "bias toward movement" in your daily life, in manageable, convenient ways. Ideas about that here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Motivation is fleeting. When you have some, use it to experiment, find some doable change in routine that moves things in a positive direction, and use the motivation/willpower to continue it long enough that it becomes long-term habit, can continue almost on autopilot after that phase-in. I don't know if any of these specifically apply to you, but I'm talking about things like "log food every day - good, bad or ugly", "gradually drink flavored sparkling water or diet soda instead of sugared soda", "order the junior cheeseburger instead of the quarter-pounder", "eat some fruit or veggie at every meal", "snack on popcorn instead of chips", etc.

Just keep going. Don't set some impossible date-driven goal. If you must have goals, make them process goals, not destination goals. (Example: "Log food every day" is a process goal - you can 100% control it. "Lose 50 pounds by Christmas" is a destination goal - it might happen, but it might not (even if you "do everything right".)) Weight management is not a project with an end date, it's a lifelong endeavor, at least for those of us with a tendency toward overweight.

The point of all this is to reach a healthy weight, maybe be more fit, using strategies that are enjoyable (or at least tolerable), so we can continue them long term to stay healthy. Misery is optional. Guilt is optional (and feels icky). The majority of your days will determine the majority of your outcomes: Go for mostly good days, progress not perfection.

This can work. I didn't lose 80 pounds, it was only around 50, obese to a healthy weight, in a bit under a year; I've been at a healthy weight for 6+ years since.

Personalization of tactics, experimentation, learning, problem-solving, patience and persistence are key, IMO. Motivation and willpower are over-rated (and not the best tools in my personal toolbox, besides). Speedy loss can be literally counter-productive.

You can do this. Think of the goal, and the process, differently. That would be my advice.
  • KFit_77
    Thank you so much everyone!! Great advice!!!! I will admit that my problem is ALWAYS trying to make too many drastic changes all at once and giving up when it’s too hard to stick to. Feeling “guilty” for eating processed food - or not “going hard” on a workout. Right now I think my best bet is just to get out and walk. I love going for walks! I went grocery shopping tonight and have lots of options for the week. Didn’t go crazy - got what I enjoy eating and will be mindful of how much i’m eating. Logging will begin tomorrow. Thanks again for taking the time for such detailed replies - such a huge help you guys are!!! 🤗
  • SNAILTURBO2GO
    SNAILTURBO2GO Posts: 8 Member
    Aside from those great things above, remember:
    1. When you get off track, its only ONE good choice to get back on track, forgive yourself and get back to it. Its ok to have a slice of pizza or some chips, just dont binge on them. Eat one portion, then a half a portion, then maybe a better option as time goes on.
    2. Sticking with this long term only takes ONE good decision at a time. Just one at a time. Keep it that simple.
    3. Pick a better option before putting things into your mouth. Overtime it builds.
    4. Dont eat stuff you hate jsut because its healthy, we arent 5 anymore lol. Find things you love that are healthier options. Its not about being perfect or doing things a certain way, just one thing at a time.
    5. Where to start... one at a time. And plan meals. Grocery shop for whole foods. Buy a fun meal prep container to use.
    6. MOST important, just start moving that body! 10 mins per day. walk for 10 mins on lunch or after dinner, then both, then more. I saw someone here was saying dont get wild on working out... honestly that is the truth! You just need to move a bit more, then more and gradually pick up the commitment. you dont want to get hurt or burnt out. Think about how you would teach someone to play a musical instrument... if you try to play a whole song they give up. But if you teach them silly notes and build on that they might pick it up.
    7. Do what works for YOU.
  • KFit_77
    Aside from those great things above, remember:
    1. When you get off track, its only ONE good choice to get back on track, forgive yourself and get back to it. Its ok to have a slice of pizza or some chips, just dont binge on them. Eat one portion, then a half a portion, then maybe a better option as time goes on.
    2. Sticking with this long term only takes ONE good decision at a time. Just one at a time. Keep it that simple.
    3. Pick a better option before putting things into your mouth. Overtime it builds.
    4. Dont eat stuff you hate jsut because its healthy, we arent 5 anymore lol. Find things you love that are healthier options. Its not about being perfect or doing things a certain way, just one thing at a time.
    5. Where to start... one at a time. And plan meals. Grocery shop for whole foods. Buy a fun meal prep container to use.
    6. MOST important, just start moving that body! 10 mins per day. walk for 10 mins on lunch or after dinner, then both, then more. I saw someone here was saying dont get wild on working out... honestly that is the truth! You just need to move a bit more, then more and gradually pick up the commitment. you dont want to get hurt or burnt out. Think about how you would teach someone to play a musical instrument... if you try to play a whole song they give up. But if you teach them silly notes and build on that they might pick it up.
    7. Do what works for YOU.

Haha love this! Thank you so much!! I went for a walk on my lunch break today - 45 mins and burned 382 calories! (Maybe overestimate by FitBit, but idc!) And I enjoyed it! 🤗
  • guil0095
    guil0095 Posts: 327 Member
    The first day is the hardest, it gets easier after that :smile:
  • Johnk942
    Johnk942 Posts: 109 Member
    You got some excellent replies! My thoughts are simple. Supportive friends here really make a difference on the days that you get discouraged. It has been a deal changer for me.