Health issues

Options
Hello,

Does anyone here have a health condition that is preventing them from taking advantage of everything this app has to offer? I have suffered from a knee cap dislocation and as a result cannot get the walk times I need to take off the excessive weight I’ve gained.

Thoughts/opinions?

Chris

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    I'll second @BarbaraHelen2013 : exercise is good for health, but not necessary for weight loss.

Aside from that, you might want to do a search for seated exercise routines or chair exercises or similar keywords, if you still want to stay active while recovering from your kneecap dislocation. And walking with crutches is supposedly quite a workout too :smile:
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm seriously disabled and have always managed to lose weight. I don't ever, ever exercise for weight loss, I exercise for my health and to keep my body functional. Most of my exercises are gentle PT, and don't burn many calories anyway.

You can absolutely lose weight without being able to walk much.
  • sprocketships
    sprocketships Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'll third what they said -- also consider if you are able to get into a pool that can be a good option for recovery if your medical professional gives you the OK
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have dislocated my kneecap numerous times playing soccer as a kid and the PT has always included stationary bike riding so as not to lose mobility in the joint. That is at least as good in terms of calorie burn as walking although I agree with what everyone above says as well. You should also absolutely do the recommended PT to strengthen the muscles on the insides and outsides of your thighs and the muscles keeping your knees stable so it doesn’t keep happening as you age. Once I did that I never had future troubles and was able to hike at altitudes and run marathons and live a very active life.

Trigger warning …. TMI on old injury ….

Never needed surgery even though my kneecap was kicked clear around to the back of my knee one time by an overly aggressive player who somehow mistook me for the ball. . . .
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine who is a freakin' inspiration has MS. I've known her for 20 years with progressive MS. She uses a hand bike to ride a pretty good portion of the MS 150 each year. She knows if she stops moving, she will stop moving permanently. She uses canes for walking and a scooter when it's further than, say, 20'. She's a huge inspiration for me. But, as others have said, you can lose weight through diet alone!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,666 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    The saying here is “Weight Loss Happens In the Kitchen.”

Be mindful of what goes in your mouth, weigh accurately and log honestly.

As long as calories in is less than calories out, you’ll be burning more than you eat and weight loss will occur.

Exercise both improves your health and appearance, plus gives a bit of a “buy back” on calories, but isn’t necessary.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yup...the good news is that weight management is largely about what takes place in the kitchen, not the gym. Regular exercise has numerous health benefits, but for most people the energy expenditure for regular exercise is a very small piece of their energy expenditure pie. Most of your energy expenditure comes from merely existing...regular exercise can obviously contribute, but not to the extent that many people think.
  • Jaceface27
    Jaceface27 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I struggle too. I have Dercum's Disease so "heavy" or "extreme" exercise is no longer an option. For awhile it bummed me out that i couldn't burn calories like I used to when I was in my 20s. However, my biggest struggle had been not sticking to my clean eating regimine because when I do, the weight does come off. I'm trying to fix the bad relationship I have with starches and sugars, and then yoga is my main go to for exercise.

Good luck with your journey too
  • danielav1982
    danielav1982 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in a wheelchair permanently from an injury and disability and this still worked for me, I lost 20 pounds just counting calories of course they are back and I'm back (again) but it's possible to keep it off.
    I just haven't figured that part out yet, haha, good luck.