Body fat%

Options
I would like to reduce body fat % I do weights and have protein shakes . I am in a calorie deficit. Any tips please .

Replies

• GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The only thing that matters for fat loss is being in a calorie deficit, everything else is just a strategy to maintain that, for example, foods or eating strategies that may help with satiety. Just monitor your average weight to insure you're in a calorie deficit and adjust calorie intake as necessary.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    If you're in a calorie deficit, doing a good strength program, and getting good overall nutrition, the main thing you need to add in order to reduce body fat percentage is . . . patience.

If you want to at least keep your existing muscle (a good plan!) and maybe even gain some muscle alongside weight loss**, don't try to lose weight fast (unless your bodyweight is high enough to be a health risk). Slow loss favors muscle retention/gain. Keep your calorie deficit on the smaller side.

** It's challenging to gain muscle while losing bodyweight. Essentially you're trying to gain one kind of weight while losing another kind of weight, which is . . . difficult, maybe improbable. There are circumstances where it's possible, but even the goal of keeping existing muscle is worthwhile. Keep the weight loss slow, odds of muscle gain increase a little.

Happily, strength increase can still happen for many people, even without gaining muscle mass, and strength is useful, right? (It happens from better recruiting and using existing muscle fibers.) Even appearance can improve.

If you lose fat weight, keep your muscle weight, your body fat percentage will improve, even without gaining new muscle mass. Good stuff.

If you're already at a healthy weight, don't need to lose much, recomposition is a possibility. That involves staying close to a constant weight, while striving to add muscle mass. It's still slower than classic bodybuilder bulk and cut cycles, but it can work. If you're close to the weight you want to be, but just want to be more muscular, you can learn more about that here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat