Exercise recovering from ankle injury?

Options
beabria
beabria Posts: 541 Member
Hi! I'm looking for some tips for exercises I can do without using an injured ankle at all (I can put ~half weight on it, but can't bend it at all and probably won't be able to for some weeks.)
For the past three months, I'd committed to doing squats, lunges, planks, and walking every single day. For a minimum of a teeny tiny amount each day - but it turned into a "real" workout a few times a week. I was really loving the momentum and felt this was a sustainable commitment. But then I stepped in a hole a couple weeks ago and both broke and sprained my ankle! Now I can't really do any of those things (maybe a little walking again soon once I lose the crutches) and I'm really worried about losing that momentum.
Does anyone have some tips about for things that can be done seated (or standing that doesn't put any lateral stress on ankles?). I've started some air punches, but would welcome additional options. (Especially anything that could work anything lower body - though that might be an impossible ask!)

Replies

• bodyworksbykate
    bodyworksbykate Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chair yoga with weights.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Consider wheelchair workouts on YouTube. Some are quite mild, but some are aimed at wheelchair athletes. They may not work legs, but will provide some workout benefits.
  • katsmomma03
    katsmomma03 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am in somewhat of the same boat, I was told I only severely sprained my ankle, however, I have broke my ankle/foot (where they meet) and still believe, I broke it again, as it felt the same as the first time, but I digress. The point is, it has been almost a year and I still have problems with stepping or twisting my foot wrong, and it wanting to give out. In addition my opposite knee has been damaged in 2 different car accidents. All that to say, I'm not sure if they will work for you or not, but I came across some youtube videos that worked for me, here is the link for the firat one that got me started. https://youtu.be/fb3tiiw_sXk The channel is called metro physical therapy, just incase the link doesn't work, or you can even search bruno mars silver sneakers class. Sometimes they are still a little to much for me, but I just modify to what I can do, or skip that part and continue with the movement I was already doing, until the next move I can do. Hope this helps.
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    @katsmomma03 I love this video so much! I've now done a few of theirs. Who knew you could get your heart rate up by waving your arms in the air? Plus I'm literally grinning most of the time because the guy is grinning the whole time!
  • katsmomma03
    katsmomma03 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @beabria I know what you mean. I have checked out a bunch of them, but have found this one and the Queen one are my favorite. I also found another guy I really like, last week. He was a personal trainer and owned a gym, he had a friend who just couldn't seem to lose weight and he finally figured out that it was because his friend just was not physically able to do a regular workout, so he created a sitting down workout for him, and actually took it to Dr. Oz. I prefer the silver sneakers workouts, mainly because it has the great music, but you can always use your own music with the new guys workouts. The thing I love about the new guy's (Donovan Green) videos are how insightful and inspirational his non workout videos were. I am including the link for the first video of his I found that tells his story with his friend. https://youtu.be/qIFSqpyYKhE