people aren't different?

Options
I keep seeing the use of "special snowflake" used in these threads. last I check we were all created differently otherwise we'd have to walk around with our full names tattooed on our foreheads so that we could tell one another apart.

we all are built differently men vs. women, tall vs. short, butt stored fat vs. belly stored fat. easy fat gainer vs. easy muscle gainers.

my point is why is there so much "you're not unique, it's an excuse" type of commentary in here? where's the none sarcastic, nonjudgmental, useful help? why the need to try and belittle people and argue?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    We may all be created different, but the general functions of the human body doesn't. Thus...special snowflake remarks.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    We may all be created different, but the general functions of the human body doesn't. Thus...special snowflake remarks.

Coudn't have said it better :flowerforyou:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing the use of "special snowflake" used in these threads. last I check we were all created differently otherwise we'd have to walk around with our full names tattooed on our foreheads so that we could tell one another apart.

we all are built differently men vs. women, tall vs. short, butt stored fat vs. belly stored fat. easy fat gainer vs. easy muscle gainers.

my point is why is there so much "you're not unique, it's an excuse" type of commentary in here? where's the none sarcastic, nonjudgmental, useful help? why the need to try and belittle people and argue?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    We are all different. But we're not THAT different. Science still applies. If our bodies were all drastically different, our doctors would have a heck of a time treating us. Think about it. Any treatment or prescription someone receives exists because it was tested across the board on large groups of people and was shown to be successful for its intended purposes.

The same applies to weight loss.

We are all different behaviorally and psychologically, and we may require different approaches to reach our goals. But physiologically, we're all pretty much the same, and weight loss comes down to being in a caloric deficit. It's simple, and that's actually a really great thing.
  • vjw221
    vjw221 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for proving my point.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Beer doesn't affect me the way it does for most people :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    We are all different. But we're not THAT different. Science still applies. If our bodies were all drastically different, our doctors would have a heck of a time treating us. Think about it. Any treatment or prescription someone receives exists because it was tested across the board on large groups of people and was shown to be successful for its intended purposes.

The same applies to weight loss.

We are all different behaviorally and psychologically, and we may require different approaches to reach our goals. But physiologically, we're all pretty much the same, and weight loss comes down to being in a caloric deficit. It's simple, and that's actually a really great thing.
    THIS. Approaches may differ, but the laws of thermodynamics still apply regardless if you're a man or woman. Underlying health and hormone issues dictate a different approach, but the commonality with approaches is still calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Remember: You're special and unique, just like everyone else.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Everyone is subject to the laws of thermodynamics...it works the same for everyone...we might be different...but we're not that different. Also...these calculators account for the fact that you're male of female or taller or shorter or heavier or lighter or whatever...all of that goes into the formula for your calorie goal...from there, the laws of thermodynamics do apply...and if you think they don't then you are a special snowflake. Even for people with medical issues, the laws of thermodynamics still apply...it's just that there numbers are a bit off from the average individual.

taso42...good to see you around again man...great kiddos you have there. Hope you're getting some sleep :)
  • vjw221
    Options
    basic science may be the same energy in vs energy out. i get that however all of the many differing variables that go into energy number is what makes us different

so to make my point simpler.... our journeys are different and unique to our individual selves. what works for some doesn't work for all.

attempting to make people feel little and put everyone into a box isn't helpful.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    basic science may be the same energy in vs energy out. i get that however all of the many differing variables that go into energy number is what makes us different

so to make my point simpler.... our journeys are different and unique to our individual selves. what works for some doesn't work for all.

attempting to make people feel little and put everyone into a box isn't helpful.

So do you have lots of research supporting caloric deficits don't work? Since that is the backbone of every single diet
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I sense this will be worth watching.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options

QFT.

When people say special snowflake, they are referring to when someone says something to the likes of "Oh I tried exercising and counting calories but my body just didn't lose weight like that, I must be different."
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Everyone is subject to the laws of thermodynamics...it works the same for everyone...we might be different...but we're not that different.

Gotta love a good Thermodynamics quote! However I think I am going to pound a bunch of beers and sulk about the 2nd law of thermodynamics and the possible "heat death" of the universe...:drinker:
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The expression is still quite grating, though.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Except when it does. Even physiologically fat gain / loss is not the same for everyone. And weight loss is even more different.
  • vjw221
    Options
    Please tell me where i said anything about calorie deficit not working?

if 100 people ate the exact same things and performed the exact same exercises... nothing less and nothing more. their bodies would not repspond the same.... hence the difference.

people are different, we behave differently, and our bodies react differently to different approaches.

and again my point is why the need to try to belittle people about it? where's the helpfulness in it? what's the point in it?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    The only time I have seen special snowflake remarks is when they claim that calorie deficit isn't working. So in that regards...sorry they aren't special snowflakes. Never have I seen that used in terms of a person's individualness.

Also, just because someone is blunt, doesn't mean they are mean/rude/etc..., "Special Snowflake" is just that, a blunt remark.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Genetics are a lot more complicated than hair and eye colour. Because you probably don't want me to launch into a huge lecture on human genetics, I am going to link to an article that breaks it up pretty nicely.

Yes, you look different than the guy standing next to you in the elevator. No, your body is not different in terms of how it functions. As the article says, "Almost all human genetic variation is relatively insignificant biologically— that is, it has no apparent adaptive significance."

http://science.education.nih.gov/supplements/nih1/genetic/guide/genetic_variation1.htm