people aren't different?

Options

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    and again my point is why the need to try to belittle people about it? where's the helpfulness in it? what's the point in it?

I take it you never saw Revenge of the Nerds? :wink:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    last I check we were all created differently otherwise we'd have to walk around with our full names tattooed on our foreheads so that we could tell one another apart.

I wish someone would walk around with their name tattooed on their forehead, lol.

Not her own name, but close enough.

draketattw.jpg

OMG!!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Again, I never disagreed with anyone about the speed of weight loss. I simply chimed in to agree with those who were stating that at a basic level, it's all about calories in vs. out.

People are reading into the special snowflake thing far too much. Like I said earlier that term is tossed around for people who are "normal" (i.e.; no conditions that affect their metabolism, etc) who turn around and claim cals in vs. out isn't working for them. I've never seen someone post a thread which specifically outlines medical issues that they have, only to be called a "special snowflake".

fair, and no I wasn't referring to your post as harassment, though I did quote it - my bad there.

my whole thing in all of this is why does the OP have to get harassed to such an extent for asking a simple question that could've been answered without everyone piling on and throwing their favorite .gifs and memes on board?

we're all the same and we're all different. it's both - that's the reality. no memes necessary.

Well, I posted a gif out of fun, not harrassment. The OP had received some great answers and it was an attempt to lighten it up, not harrass. :ohwell:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    last I check we were all created differently otherwise we'd have to walk around with our full names tattooed on our foreheads so that we could tell one another apart.

I wish someone would walk around with their name tattooed on their forehead, lol.

Not her own name, but close enough.

draketattw.jpg

Great, Now I'm never going to sleep tonight.

Fact: Some people can eat ice cream without getting cramps and others can't.

Fact: A 200lb man with a 10% body fat is going to be able to eat a whole lot more than a 200lb man with a 30% body fat.

Fact: Thermodynamics are like, totally real, yo. The sciences!

Fact: Memes are funny. Really funny. Unless they contain a photo of a snowflake... cause that's just wrong.
  • vjw221
    vjw221 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Is it weird that when i see "the OP" i get all " hey don't talk about me like i'm not here :sad: " ? lol.

and no i really don't think i could handle tattoos on foreheads.... too distracting.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing the use of "special snowflake" used in these threads.

I know. People use that as if I am such a bad person. It's insulting. They should think before using my name as a label.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    We are all different. But we're not THAT different. Science still applies. If our bodies were all drastically different, our doctors would have a heck of a time treating us. Think about it. Any treatment or prescription someone receives exists because it was tested across the board on large groups of people and was shown to be successful for its intended purposes.

The same applies to weight loss.

We are all different behaviorally and psychologically, and we may require different approaches to reach our goals. But physiologically, we're all pretty much the same, and weight loss comes down to being in a caloric deficit. It's simple, and that's actually a really great thing.

And that's it in a nutshell. We are all different, and we are all the same. The physiology doesn't vary much from one person to the next. The chemical reactions in the body are still all the same.

I used to say, "I want to be different just like everybody else."
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    basic science may be the same energy in vs energy out. i get that however all of the many differing variables that go into energy number is what makes us different

so to make my point simpler.... our journeys are different and unique to our individual selves. what works for some doesn't work for all.

attempting to make people feel little and put everyone into a box isn't helpful.

Spell out a specific example of what you mean. Cuz, I am not getting it.

Beyond the physics and the engineering, the basic biological processes are still basically the same. The exceptions are the rarity more than the normal. Mutations in the core genetics generally that regulate body processes are weeded out in the evolutionary shema.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    Because this is the internet, and people tend to say things they wouldn't say to a person's face.

Hermione_eye_roll.gif
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    But my mommy said that I am so special!!!!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

ETA: Honestly, this is one of those concepts that if it has to be explained to you and you're not under the age of 16, then it's a waste of breath trying. Scientific method . . . smh
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I like my special snowflake
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    INteresting.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    The expression is still quite grating, though.

To be fair, I don't think 'Special Snowflake' is supposed to be a kind expression.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

To be fair, I don't think 'Special Snowflake' is supposed to be a kind expression.

Considering that it tends to used to refer to people that are delusional, I'm going with "no" on that one too.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    The best thing that ever happened to me was someone saying 'well, aren't you a special snowflake". When I got over myself and actually listened to what they had to say, I finally started getting the results I wanted.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

+1
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Again, I never disagreed with anyone about the speed of weight loss. I simply chimed in to agree with those who were stating that at a basic level, it's all about calories in vs. out.

People are reading into the special snowflake thing far too much. Like I said earlier that term is tossed around for people who are "normal" (i.e.; no conditions that affect their metabolism, etc) who turn around and claim cals in vs. out isn't working for them. I've never seen someone post a thread which specifically outlines medical issues that they have, only to be called a "special snowflake".

fair, and no I wasn't referring to your post as harassment, though I did quote it - my bad there.

my whole thing in all of this is why does the OP have to get harassed to such an extent for asking a simple question that could've been answered without everyone piling on and throwing their favorite .gifs and memes on board?

we're all the same and we're all different. it's both - that's the reality. no memes necessary.

why do you feel the need to police people?

and harassed? i think that is a stretch.

and i LIKE memes, who made you the boss of memes and whether they are necessary or not?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing the use of "special snowflake" used in these threads. last I check we were all created differently otherwise we'd have to walk around with our full names tattooed on our foreheads so that we could tell one another apart.

we all are built differently men vs. women, tall vs. short, butt stored fat vs. belly stored fat. easy fat gainer vs. easy muscle gainers.

my point is why is there so much "you're not unique, it's an excuse" type of commentary in here? where's the none sarcastic, nonjudgmental, useful help? why the need to try and belittle people and argue?
    Since we are given this info (man, woman, short, tall, fatty, muscley), we can apply knowledge to give information specific to them, without them having to feel like a special snowflake.

If a part of you gains fat in a part:
    genes, they suck, mine likes to lye on my hips. To get rid of fat, eat at a deficit, and strength train. If you are slim and have this problem, eat at a surplus, and strength train, and then go back and do the first part. There are other ways to do this, but that is the most efficient. This is not a special snowflake

If you are an easy fat gainer:
    I was one of these. I moved my muscles more, I did resistance training, to give my body a reason to add muscle instead of fat. Or I could just eat at a deficit, to get rid of fat. I am not a special snowflake

If you are an easy muscle gainer:
    The ones I see making these posts are recovering from an ED, have body dysmorphic problems, or are fatty and mistake fat with muscle, they just picked up exercise and saw an increase in inches (glycogen/body repairs) or they are indeed genetically blessed and doing some sort of strength training and eating at a surplus. And for those who are asking how to fix that. There's 2 ways. A calorie deficit minus exercise, or muscle atrophy. Neither is the healthiest of ideas if you ask me. This is suppose to be a FITNESS site. The most efficient way to do this is to cast the parts you want to remove the muscles from. That's a reality. Try getting sick sometime, it works. Stop moving so you get more fatty then muscular. Those are your choices. I'm not sure what other choice they're going for, but they usually argue that, but in reality, that's basically the only idea to get around it. Stop using the muscles you want to shrink. Regardless, if you seen the pictures of the people who are making those posts, they're often not muscular in those areas, are overweight, or have 18inch thighs they're trying to shrink because they want a thigh gap.

People are very unique...and knowledge is power. And if you ignore all the knowledge and start defying things like thermodynamics and science, you're a special snowflake.