I respect people that eat

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I lost 114 lbs eating less than 1200 calories (didn't have an eating disorder either, other than I was fat) so I am not sure why this is such a hot number? You have to do what you have to do to create a deficit and lose weight. Now that I am at maintenance I get to eat more but the lower calories were necessary for me to get to my goal.

It isn't. She said that's what she was eating. She specifically said she is not talking about those who eat 1200.
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    I'm a little surprised at the backlash OP has received on this. This is what I took from her post:

-She respects people that eat well *regardless of their calorie goal*. She even specifically said she is NOT talking about the people who aim for 1200 calories.
    -She wishes that people who scrape by on next to nothing (because they're not eating nutritious food) would realize that they can eat "real" food and still be within their goal.
    -She's proud of her progress (40 something pounds? Go you!)
    -She is trying to make a personal choice on how to handle the people who don't eat well. (Why do any of you care how she handles her friends list, btw?)

Anyway... +1 OP. I personally wouldn't un-friend someone who didn't eat "well" but I do like having people on my list that do. Helps give me ideas for my dinners and snacks. Whatever you decide, best of luck on the rest of your weight loss journey.

This
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Most people on starting on MFP obviously don't have a good grasp on nutrition. If they eat junk to fill their caloric goals, that's at least an improvment. People will change up the way they eat as they learn. There's really no reason to get upset over people who don't eat the way you'd prefer. And I think the reason you might be getting bad backlash is your wording. The whole: "I respect people that eat" can read as "I respect people that eat in a manner that I prescribe to be best and everyone else's eating habits are rubbish". To be clear, I don't think that's what you are saying but some people have certainly read it that way.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    How is yogurt, fruit, and half a bagel not "substantial food"? That sounds like a great breakfast to me.

Besides that, I get your point, but I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about what strangers eat. That's not really going to get you anywhere, emotionally or otherwise.

Pretty sure she means a meal is Yogurt OR fruit OR half a bagel. Not all 3.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    By OP
    You've got to eat to lose weight, eat to maintain weight, and still get to eat out of enjoyment when you know how to do it.

I get exactly where you are coming from!

I used to starve myself and now I am actually eating!

Keep on rocking! Great Great Post! :drinker:
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    The amount of time I spend reading other people's food diaries is zero.
    If someone asks me for their advice - then that is different. I'll check out their diary and give them some friendly advice - and I try to keep it as objective as possible. At the end of the day, I respect the food choices of my friends. The vast majority of people on my friend list don't share my nutrition outlook. I support them and encourage them regardless of what they do exercise wise or what they eat (or don't eat).
    kind regards,

Ben
  • Achrya
    If someone asks me for their advice - then that is different. I'll check out their diary and give them some friendly advice - and I try to keep it as objective as possible. At the end of the day, I respect the food choices of my friends. The vast majority of people on my friend list don't share my nutrition outlook. I support them and encourage them regardless of what they do exercise wise or what they eat (or don't eat).
    kind regards,

Ben

That's cool.

OP doesn't have to do that nor is she a bad person for not doing so.

No one is obligated to be your damn friend on this website. They don't have to support you, respect your choices, or allow you to be their friend. I'm not sure where all this guilt tripping comes in (Did all of you get deleted and now you're mad at the very prospect?) but if people don't want to deal with you they don't have to. And they aren't wrong/mean/judgmental/rude for doing so.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    have you ever taken into consideration that that's all people can afford? for three months, after I lost my job, we were living off ramen, cheap hotdogs and mac & cheese. Usually only got maybe 700-900 cals a day. snack on crackers all day to save the rest of the food. Not everyone can afford the groceries to have a balanced meal three times a day every day. hot dogs and buns are $0.88, mac & cheese $.038, and ramen $0.15 where as a small salad is $1.48 or lettuce is $1.28. We had to decide what was more important. Rent or shopping. power bill or food. credit cards or worrying about the amount of cals we get. We make too much for food stamps and too little to fill the fridge so we have a "balanced" meal every day.
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    I respect people that don't judge food choices that others make

Reasons like this is why I will never share my Diary. People ask me why???? and this is the reason.

We are all different people with different likings. Just cause one person likes bagels doesn't mean everyone else on the friends list has to eat bagels or they will be judged by the "MFP Diary Police"

I am a Vegetarian....and at the time my diary was open. This friend on my list went nuts when she found out I never ate meat or fish. All of a sudden she thought she was a Dietician. Please... respect people's choices and don't judge. Losing weight is tough enough. Don't add to the pressure.

It's annoying.

Thank you
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    kind regards,

Ben

That's cool.

No one is obligated to be your damn friend on this website. They don't have to support you, respect your choices, or allow you to be their friend. I'm not sure where all this guilt tripping comes in (Did all of you get deleted and now you're mad at the very prospect?) but if people don't want to deal with you they don't have to. And they aren't wrong/mean/judgmental/rude for doing so.

preach.gif
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Most people on starting on MFP obviously don't have a good grasp on nutrition. If they eat junk to fill their caloric goals, that's at least an improvment. People will change up the way they eat as they learn. There's really no reason to get upset over people who don't eat the way you'd prefer.

I think this is really important to remember... Before I started counting calories I was probably around 3000 calories per day. Now, I still eat things that I love (I had sweet and sour pork with chicken soba noodles last night mmmmmmm) but I made it fit into my calories. People like us are still trying! I eat over 1000 calories/day less than I used to...

Having said that, I never got down to 1200 calories/day, but at my lowest (around 1350?) I was cranky and it didn't work. I'm glad I saw the light of eating more! I'm still losing weight--it's slower, but it's still coming off AND I sleep better/need less of it and I don't feel like a freakin grump all the time :)
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    kind regards,

Ben

That's cool.

My apologies - no guilt trip intended.
    I was merely explaining what I do. As a perspective, the OP is welcome to accept or reject any part of it or all of it.
    And I pass no judgement on her for doing so.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    kind regards,

Ben

That's cool.

tumblr_m2nh2sZTny1qi7deco1_400.gif

I have to agree, I am not qualified, nor should I be expected to be anyone's doctor or therapist. If there is someone on my FL who is just too much of a hot mess, then see-ya, internet stranger! I'm sure people have de-friended me for not being talkative, or swearing too much, or for eating ice cream too often. Its just not that big of a deal.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    I simply say on my profile:

I accept requests only from those following a vegetarian or vegan high nutrient approach to healthy weight.

And, if someone attempts to friend me who doesn't follow that approach, I just decline.

I'm not here to convert or enlighten anyone.
  • Achrya
    kind regards,

Ben

That's cool.

I have to agree, I am not qualified, nor should I be expected to be anyone's doctor or therapist. If there is someone on my FL who is just too much of a hot mess, then see-ya, internet stranger! I'm sure people have de-friended me for not being talkative, or swearing too much, or for eating ice cream too often. Its just not that big of a deal.

Yeah but those people are judgmental heathens.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    The only ones who can function normally eating like a rabbit are rabbits. I have seen diaries where people's meals consist of crackers, yogurt, fruit, maybe half a bagel, etc... no substantial food.

I ate 3 portion controlled meals a day that I prepared for myself consisting of 4 oz meat/chicken/fish, 2 oz greens, half cup of starches, etc...my only snacks were fruit or 100 calorie popcorn. I just cut out the junk snacking while I was on 1200, as well as the added oils and other food add-ons I could live without while losing weight. At the 1430-1590 calorie level I am still eating the same meal sizes I just added sweets/salty snacks in addition to all the fruit I was eating before. I get to eat my burgers, steak, potatoes, chinese food ( just weigh it first), pizza, etc... I get to eat my donuts and ice cream ( also weighed in appropriate portions).

I guess I just don't understand. How is yogurt, fruit, or bagels so unhealthy? I'm a vegetarian and so I don't eat meat and don't have burgers, steak, etc. I eat tons of veggies, legumes, and yea a lot of yogurt. I don't see how that's somehow less nutritious. Plus, chinese food, donuts, and ice cream are not very nutritious, but that's okay while yogurt and bagels isn't? I feel like I'm missing something.

If OP is not talking about eating a small amount of food (per the 1,200 calorie comment) but instead talking about WHAT a person chooses to eat in their calorie allotment, then I really don't understand criticizing "rabbit food" (uh... vegetables that are extremely nutritious) and endorsing chinese food.

Please someone explain. I'm not trying to criticize the OP, the post just really makes no sense at all to me.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    I don't really comment on food diaries or exercise
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    kind regards,

Ben

That's cool.

^ This. I tried being Mr. Nice Guy and helping and what not. I figured with my very screwed up background that I had a pretty good viewpoint form which to help. Then, I relearned what I've known all along from my own experience. People either do it themselves or they fail. People need to grow the eff up.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    The only ones who can function normally eating like a rabbit are rabbits. I have seen diaries where people's meals consist of crackers, yogurt, fruit, maybe half a bagel, etc... no substantial food.

I ate 3 portion controlled meals a day that I prepared for myself consisting of 4 oz meat/chicken/fish, 2 oz greens, half cup of starches, etc...my only snacks were fruit or 100 calorie popcorn. I just cut out the junk snacking while I was on 1200, as well as the added oils and other food add-ons I could live without while losing weight. At the 1430-1590 calorie level I am still eating the same meal sizes I just added sweets/salty snacks in addition to all the fruit I was eating before. I get to eat my burgers, steak, potatoes, chinese food ( just weigh it first), pizza, etc... I get to eat my donuts and ice cream ( also weighed in appropriate portions).

I guess I just don't understand. How is yogurt, fruit, or bagels so unhealthy? I'm a vegetarian and so I don't eat meat and don't have burgers, steak, etc. I eat tons of veggies, legumes, and yea a lot of yogurt. I don't see how that's somehow less nutritious. Plus, chinese food, donuts, and ice cream are not very nutritious, but that's okay while yogurt and bagels isn't? I feel like I'm missing something.

If OP is not talking about eating a small amount of food (per the 1,200 calorie comment) but instead talking about WHAT a person chooses to eat in their calorie allotment, then I really don't understand criticizing "rabbit food" (uh... vegetables that are extremely nutritious) and endorsing chinese food.

Please someone explain. I'm not trying to criticize the OP, the post just really makes no sense at all to me.

Maybe i misunderstood, I can see how it can be read in different ways, but when i read "meals consist of crackers, yogurt, fruit, maybe half a bagel, etc... no substantial food". I took it to mean a number of meals consisting of just crackers, just yogurt, just a piece of fruit, ie, not very little food, regardless of how healthy, and not just one meal.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member

Maybe i misunderstood, I can see how it can be read in different ways, but when i read "meals consist of crackers, yogurt, fruit, maybe half a bagel, etc... no substantial food". I took it to mean a number of meals consisting of just crackers, just yogurt, just a piece of fruit, ie, not very little food, regardless of how healthy, and not just one meal.

That would make sense :)