Emotional eating - alternative ways to lift mood?

After a recent breakup I now find myself snacking in the evenings when a month ago I would have been chatting with my then-partner. I snack partly to fill the time but mostly because it lifts my mood, and these evening snacks (mostly chocolate or biscuits) are derailing otherwise positive progress with healthy food and exercise through the day. Any suggestions on other options?

Replies

• Dreamroper
    Dreamroper Posts: 39 Member
    I am trying to cut out eating after dinner snacks and sweets, which had led to a weight gain over the last year. I have found that red seedless grapes and cubed watermelon help with the need for sweetness.
  • kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    It's gonna be different for everyone. I'm a walker. Stressed out? I take a lap. If it's a complex issue, I call my mom and talk my way through it. Feeling snacky out of boredom? Flavored water or tea. Sometimes a giant stuffed animal to squeeze works too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I always join a gym after a breakup. Exercise lifts my mood.

Anyone remember the old Elayne Boosler "New guys will see me naked" skit? :D
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,330 Member
    I think the insight that you’re replacing conversation with your ex with eating is a really good start. I personally find it easier to replace what I don’t want with something that I do want. What could you do in the evenings instead? Read a book? Do a yoga video? Get some chores done so you have more free time on the weekend? Work on a craft or hobby? Thinking ahead to have a few options to deliberately decide to go to when you get snacky can help change that behavior.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,742 Member
    If there's a stress component to it, some other options would be meditation, prayer, journaling, or other stress-management techniques. Otherwise, distractions/hobbies. Particularly good are things that require clean hands (needlework, sketching, adult coloring books, playing a musical instrument, etc.) or create dirty ones (gardening, painting, carpentry, etc.): Makes it harder to snack.

If it's a social interaction need, consider joining a club, getting together with other friends, taking on some volunteer gig, or something like that.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Yoga. Yoga is for everyone. It makes you feel better both physically and mentally.

I also like to run away from my problems… I just put my AirPods on, go on my treadmill and get moving…

Break ups are tough. If you are missing human interaction, find a replacement. Come here and find people to talk to. Join a gym. Take a class… cooking, ceramics, gardening, aerobics, whatever you like. Volunteer at the animal shelter and take a dog for a walk. Volunteer at a nursing home. Find something you enjoy and do those activities so you can meet other people who have similar interests.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,736 Member
    After my last breakup, I got into cooking and exercise. Reading didn't work for me because I just couldn't focus enough. Also, dating new guys. Nothing serious. Oddly enough, once I started dating other guys, he showed back up. But, really aft er r a breakup is a great time to focus on you, your goals, what you want, and start to work on them. It gives you something else to focus your time and energy on.
  • pootlermse
    pootlermse Posts: 13 Member
    TicTacToo wrote: »
    ...perhaps feeding my soul better with a few happy, social activities during daylight will give me a boost and leave me less inclined to eat my sad feelings away later on.

This is brilliant. Love it!

• Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 443 Member
    I find that if I sit in front of the tv then I snack. I think it's just the old me and how I'd always been. So I just don't do that any more! Also, I try to eat any chocolate snacks in the day so I don't feel I've missed out and then want to eat in the evening. I won't starve myself, but if I'm hungry there are other things I can eat, because chocolate won't even touch the sides if I'm hungry so it's a bad time to eat it (and enjoy it).

Chewing gum is good for when I'm wanting stuff out of boredom.

You can do yoga at home via youtube, places like Yoga with Adrienne are a fab place to start. (And you can pause if you have to deal with little ones).

Not for everyone but meditation and mindfulness can really help. It allows a space for those uncomfortable feelings to surface and be acknowledged.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    Yoga. Yoga is for everyone. It makes you feel better both physically and mentally.

I also like to run away from my problems… I just put my AirPods on, go on my treadmill and get moving…

Break ups are tough. If you are missing human interaction, find a replacement. Come here and find people to talk to. Join a gym. Take a class… cooking, ceramics, gardening, aerobics, whatever you like. Volunteer at the animal shelter and take a dog for a walk. Volunteer at a nursing home. Find something you enjoy and do those activities so you can meet other people who have similar interests.

Speaking of volunteering, I volunteer at my local senior center. I think we have 15 paid staff and over 300 volunteers.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Find something else to do with you pr hands. Something that is messy that doesn’t go well with food. Ideas:
    Brushing your dog/cat
    Cleaning
    Do a puzzle
    Take up knitting
    Start an indoor herb garden

If you still find yourself wanting something, try drinking water.

Still want something, then make a healthy choice, raw veggies, fruit, cheese.

Best of luck