Do you guys really count calories?

Options

Replies

• Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    In my life I could probably count the times I've actually kept track of my calories for a day on one hand. But I know a lot of people here do it. So how do you do it? Do you actually weigh everything out and keep a list of everything you eat throughout the day? The two times I did it on MFP I kind of just guessed at the amounts I ate.

I'm asking because I'll soon be at my normal weight. I'm just starting to weightlift (which I LOVE btw). I want to burn more fat but retain the muscle I have. So...do I need to count calories and how many should I eat? I'm 5'8 soon to be 145 lbs and 28% body fat. Would like to set a first goal of 24% body fat. I do weightlifting 3 times per week for about 45 minutes each session.

Help is appreciated!

I weigh 90% of what I eat on a scale
  • 80sFanatic88
    80sFanatic88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I remember what I eat, and estimate how much it is. A lot of the time MFP doesn't have the exact food I ate either, so I just have to find something similar. I don't know how people weigh food. My actual scale that I use to weigh myself isn't even accurate, I've tested it with weights. So I just have to make sure I don't eat when I'm not hungry, don't snack often, and remember which foods are high in calories so I can have a balanced day and not go over my calorie goal.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    If it goes in my face, it gets weighed (or measured, or is pre-packaged in a given size already) and it's recorded precisely.

It's working pretty well so far.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    When I was actively trying to lose, I did...for about 6 months I logged religiously...weighed everything that had a weight option for measurement and measured everything else out that didn't. I meticulously built recipes in my recipe builder and was always as accurate as possible. I lost 40 Lbs like it was nothing doing this.

I'm at maintenance now and have been for about 5 months and don't log...I don't really need to at maintenance because I've learned a lot about proper nutrition while I was logging...now I can just eye ball and maintain just fine. If I ever want to cut again, I'll most definitely log...it's easy and the weight just falls off.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    In my life I could probably count the times I've actually kept track of my calories for a day on one hand. But I know a lot of people here do it. So how do you do it? Do you actually weigh everything out and keep a list of everything you eat throughout the day? The two times I did it on MFP I kind of just guessed at the amounts I ate.

No, I don't really count. I lost almost all my weight before joining MFP and didn't log anything. Now I log during the week but I don't measure anything. I just guesstimate the amounts. And my weekends are pretty busy so I don't log. I still lost weight and decreased BF% though.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yes I count. Have been at goal weight several years now. Still count.
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    I use to use mfp to count cals, just do it in my head now
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I tend to have a list of items I have on a regular or semi-regular basis, and know the calories of those foods. I also like the scanning feature of the mobile app. For things I'm not entirely certain of, I do my best. I typically look for items that are similar to what I'm eating, and then take the one with the higher calories (example, 1/2c of deli pasta salad made with mayo 120 - 200 cals, I input the one with 200 cals).
  • soyeahok
    Options
    I feel you lol I log grapes.....
  • jsjp
    jsjp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i weigh / measure EVERYTHING, i log EVERYTHING...

EVERY SINGLE CALORIE that goes into my mouth gets counted!

ive been known to log 1 skittle... what??? sometimes i just need a taste! :)
  • jsjp
    jsjp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    this^^ yes
  • OhFitness
    OhFitness Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I track, and I love it. It's not required to meet whatever goal you have, but it will be a more smooth ride if you do. Not counting is like guessing. You're likely to have more setbacks when guessing. Achieving a goal is hard enough when you're keeping track of everything. So, if you don't mind the extra time it will take to not keep track, then keep guessing.
  • LadyMustard
    LadyMustard Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    After a while of tracking, when you look at food....all you see are calorie numbers, grams of protein, sodium levels...etc...

OMG THIS!!!! ^

My husband and I count calories together and we catch ourselves doing this. Whatever goes into the grocery cart needs to get "the check". My husband has a habit of getting a craving for something in the store, picking it up to look at the nutrition facts and then put it back with a loud "Nope!!". Pick it up, check... "Nope!!" And then we'll hold a conversation as we're walking down the aisles of the grocery store about the protein to sugar ratio in protein bars.

Its kinda funny, because even though we've lost 35lbs+ (and still dropping) we still look like a couple of chubbies talking about nutrition. ^-^ You can never tell a book by its cover I guess.

Anyway, back to topic. I have to track my calories. If I don't, I lose track and my calorie intake goes up by 150 - 300. (though I'm definitely A LOT more conscious about what I eat than I used to be!)
  • IncredibleShrinkingSandy
    Options
    When I first started on mfp and my weight loss journey I guesstimated a lot of what I ate. Now I weight and measure absolutely everything. Even if I have a piece of fruit, I weigh it, eat the edible portion, then weigh the peel/core and subtract difference. The only exception is when I go out to eat and the restaurant doesn't have nutrition facts on here as it is local or whatever. I will guess based on the dish name, or a close description. Then, I either choose one that is an average of the choices listed or the highest amount of calories, just to be safe. I would rather overestimate than underestimate in that case. Going over my calories by just 200 in one day can make a difference of going up .5 pounds some days. (Yes I weigh daily. It helps me know what happens with my weight when I eat anything so I can be more aware of my body) It can take a day to lose that .5 pound all over again. So, I'm strict with every crumb that goes in.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have index cards each worth 100 calories. 2or 3 of each of several colors. the colors are different food groups. they have their food type on them and how much I can have for 100 calories. on the back is how I can use left over calories . like a slice of bread is only 80 calories so I can have 20 calories of Jelly or something like with my bread or keep a running total Use them for a treat. When the cards are used up I am through eating for the day. This system has worked well enough for me to loose 35 pounds. I measure every thing like cereal , milk and rice. Not sure if this is counting calories or not. but it works for me. I do update the cards when we buy a new or different Items. i add more cards when I loose my last 10 pounds. I tryed different tracking apps and since I had a stroke cann't stay concentrated long enough to log an entire day. Since I am getting close to goal I do keep a chart on how I eat so I have an idea on which cards to add and how fast.

• DeannaLD13
    DeannaLD13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Mcgrawhaha wrote: »
    i weigh / measure EVERYTHING, i log EVERYTHING...

EVERY SINGLE CALORIE that goes into my mouth gets counted!

ive been known to log 1 skittle... what??? sometimes i just need a taste! :)

Agree! I think it's the only way to lose weight that really works long term!
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Spartans55 wrote: »
    Yes. For one, I had no idea how many calories I was eating. It was a big wake up call. And two, it makes me feel guilty if I go over my calorie goal so it has helped me fight cravings many times.

This was SO me. I actually joined MFP to support a friend/co-worker. I thought it would be fun. Then I got KNOWLEDGE. Woah. That was scary for me.

Then I realized that my "smallish" lunch I had was 500 calories and it really didn't satisfy me. Nor could I/should I eat a block of cheese. I started making better choices weighing everything.

I'm in maintenance now and still weigh everything.
  • jodidari
    jodidari Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh things but I look on the serving size of packages to calculate my calories and I do weigh liquids if I'm home since I have measuring cups. I also try to add 10% to everything. For example, if I think i'm eating 3 ounces of chicken then I log it as 3.3 ounces. Instead of weighing using a scale you can find something that's 1 ounce for example then compare or something like that. I find if you cook for yourself a lot you should weigh if you want to lose weight but if you eat away from home (I go to school everyday guestimate) or check packages which is really stressful. I also don't log everyday because I'm way too tired, it's easier when i'm on breaks from school or weekends but I keep a mental track so I know if i'm going way over what MFP recommends so I know if i hate no breakfast I can eat a bit more in the day or if I hate fast food today I need to eat healthier and maybe less tomorrow.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Nor could I/should I eat a block of cheese. I started making better choices weighing everything.

The calories cheese contains is rather upsetting.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Yes i weigh EVERYTHING!

I dont use cups and spoons at all. And i dont use serving sizes. Everything in grams also my liquids, coffee, herbs and spices.
    I discovered very quickly ( when i started) that servings sizes were off 99% of the time. And a couple of grams more on some fruit or yogurts is ...meh who cares. But on 1 serving of cheesecake it was 70 calories.
    My coffee daily ( yes i drink black coffee a lot) 75 calories, and my herbs and spices around 80 calories.
    It really adds up when you dont count them.
    I had protein bars that weren't 52 but 56 grams and so 30 calories more than the label said.

And it doesn't matter when you have a big deficit. You wont notice it.
    But the leaner you get the more accurate you have to be.
    Specially with a smaller deficit.

I started also very quickly my own entries. All entries got brought in new, and checked with the USDA site. Plus all labels brought in. So i had everything in grams.
    In the beginning a lot of work. But when done it was easier.
    I dont take a cup of Almond milk. But put my coffee cup on the scale and poor 200 grams. So no dirty measuring cup.
    Same for oils, dressings, milk, and other liquids.

For me this was the way i did and do it. Being as accurate as possible and i never stalled, or had a plateau.
    Benefit now is i have a big database for my own with everything in grams. That i use daily. Even now that i am maintaining.

Kudos to the people who can do it without counting. For me that is out of the question and weighing my food and counting to lose weight and now to keep it off is not a big deal. Its a little thing to do for keeping my weight as it is.

95069916.png