Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,995 Member
    Options
    Great... Now I'm hungry...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    TL;GH To long, got hungry. Thanks. Going to have to go get curry. NOW!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    This made me so hungry! Now I want Indian food!
  • OneWildAndPreciousLife
    Options
    OMG, everything looks and sounds soooo delicious, and now I'm hungry!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post! Also confirms for me why my favorite Indian restaurant really is the best-- it's Pakistani-owned. I appreciate that they don't dumb down the spices on their buffet items.

There's an iPhone app called "Indian Menu Interpreter" that has a handy glossary explaining most of the words used, including pictures for most things. Might be of interest to some MFPers.

I have made an observation that most Indian restaurants in US will typically reduce the spices and tone it down by a LOT while increasing the amount of salt and cream. Perhaps its because they're trying to cater more to the non-Asian community. Whereas most Pakistani restaurants just don't give a rats *kitten* and use all the spices they use at home. Only drawback, they use a LOT of oil. Lots more than typical Indian restaurant.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    It all looks so delicious and beautiful. Thank you for this post, Taunto! I just might have to try some Indian food tonight.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Looks good! In my head, I would make all of this.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Now I am hungry. I have craved good Indian food for a while. I used to eat it regularly when I lived in Scotland.

Our Indian population here is growing rapidly thanks to John Deere. I keep hoping this means we will get a decent restaurant soon. The places we do have here are all very bland.

I will absolutely agree, and attest, that not only for Indian places, but any restaurants, the one's that look like they would not pass a health department inspection tend to have the best food ever. I avoid fancy shmancy looking places as I am always disappointed.

Hi Taunto!
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,070 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Taunto. I love this.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Hi Taunto, all looks great
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, I have never had any of those dishes. Thank you for sharing and I can't wait to give them a try!!

P.S. I like your poetry:wink:
  • mkphotogirl
    mkphotogirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    this post makes me hungry. where can i get indian food for breakfast?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Yum! I was telling my daughter last night I had a hankering for some Indian food, and now you gotta go post all this yumminess!?
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Oh YA! BUMP, BUMP ... and THANK YOU!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    Nice post.

I prefer the Southern Indian foods. Lots of dry curries, no cream, very little oil. And the spices are HOT which I love.If you find yourself in Sydney and wanting Indian head to Crow's Nest, eat at the Malabar, you'll thank me later

You are right about Pakistani owned/cooked for the Northern dishes. Mogul style dishes are their specialties. Best North Indian meal I ever had was in Paisley, Scotland, Paki owned and staffed. Owner said no one would come if he called it Pakistani, so he just opened up and called it an Indian restaurant.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I've been anxious about going to Indian because the dishes aren't on MFP and I while i LOVE the food I'm not familar enough with it to guess what is in it to log as individual ingredients. I don't think onions, some kind of sauce, and spices will really work. :(~
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I was in Michigan for work earlier this year and we stopped into an Indian restaurant..... and that is where I discovered Butter Chicken.

It's fantastic.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    om nom nom, now i'm starving!!
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I love Indian food! I've just started learning how to cook it. I have a question though. Where do I find the green peppers? I love the green chutney served with tandoori dishes but I can't find out what the peppers are called. I've been told you can't substitute jalapenos. There is an Indian grocery about 40 minutes from me - I need to check it out.

I'm trying to introduce my son to Indian food. A few weeks ago I made chicken Korma, jeera, curried cauliflower and a mango/yogurt dessert w/ saffron. It turned out really well. I wanted spicier chicken but decided on making korma b/c of kiddo. Next I think I'll try butter chicken.

I had the pleasure of being treated to an Indian meal by my parents friends. (vegetarian) The food was wonderful, it was great to taste home cooked food rather than the buffet I go to locally. The lovely lady who cooked for us said that where she is from they eat dessert first. : )
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Are you TRYING to make me hungry????? ugh

that food looks so good