So I hear MFP likes Indian food

Options

Replies

• sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    where I'm from, southern Alabama, gulf coast, we eat dessert first too, always have and probably always will
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Well that settles it, we are having Indian for dinner tonight. I spent 4 months in Hyderabad in 2005, amazing food and spicy just the way I like it. And in my opinion even bad Gulab Jamun is pretty freaking good.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to trying your recipes! I generally go for convenience but of course making fresh stuff at home is so much better. My wife grew some okra this summer in her garden, so we HAVE to try your Bhindi recipe!

For a reasonably low-calorie easy Tikka Masala, try Colonel Kababz microwave-able Chicken Tikka Masala (they also make a Tikka Boti which is dry and not as good). I've tried other frozen Tikka Masalas and this is the best I've had so far.

Other fun convenient frozen microwave-ready choices are by Deep Indian: Baghara Baingan and Bhindi Masala.

MTR makes a great Bhindi Masala that's shelf-stable in a box/bag.

Haldiram's makes a great boxed Kadhi Pakoda.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I'm looking forward to trying your recipes! I generally go for convenience but of course making fresh stuff at home is so much better. My wife grew some okra this summer in her garden, so we HAVE to try your Bhindi recipe!

For a reasonably low-calorie easy Tikka Masala, try Colonel Kababz microwave-able Chicken Tikka Masala (they also make a Tikka Boti which is dry and not as good). I've tried other frozen Tikka Masalas and this is the best I've had so far.

Other fun convenient frozen microwave-ready choices are by Deep Indian: Baghara Baingan and Bhindi Masala.

MTR makes a great Bhindi Masala that's shelf-stable in a box/bag.

Haldiram's makes a great boxed Kadhi Pakoda.

I've made the Bhindi recipe and it was ridiculously good!
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    bump to read later, I am going out to an Indian restaurant on Wednesday and was worried about what to choose ;)
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love Indian food. I often order a veggie Biryani-- extra spicy. I'm in love with it.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Taunto I need your help..... Went to an Indian Buffet on my birthday (Tandori Flame- recommended to those in Ontario, Canada).

All the actual Indian people in the place - were SURROUNDING this section that was called something like Pani-Something (I think). I wanted to try it because area was packed with people. But there was like a plate, with three "balls" on it...and then a couple bowls of stuff. I had no idea where to start! It looked very popular though - especially with the Indian people so I was intrigued. Too shy to ask how to do it - but intrigued LOL

Pani Puri! My favorite Indian snack. Well, except for all the other ones. :happy:

Great post, Taunto. My wife is from India, so Indian food is about 1/2 of my diet. One thing she mentioned to me is that, at least in the United States, the Indian food you get is generally considered "party" food in India, so it is generally the richer, higher calorie dishes. She makes a lot of "everyday" food, so I sometimes have issues finding the dishes she makes in the MFP database (or even the ingredients sometimes).
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I love Indian food! I've just started learning how to cook it. I have a question though. Where do I find the green peppers? I love the green chutney served with tandoori dishes but I can't find out what the peppers are called. I've been told you can't substitute jalapenos. There is an Indian grocery about 40 minutes from me - I need to check it out.

My wife and I use the small Serrano green chilis if we get them from the supermarket. She also uses Jalapeno peppers, but only if they are actually hot (it can be a toss-up sometimes). But in general we get whatever they have at the Indian store.
  • Tw1zzler
    Options
    I love Indian food! I've just started learning how to cook it. I have a question though. Where do I find the green peppers? I love the green chutney served with tandoori dishes but I can't find out what the peppers are called. I've been told you can't substitute jalapenos. There is an Indian grocery about 40 minutes from me - I need to check it out.

My wife and I use the small Serrano green chilis if we get them from the supermarket. She also uses Jalapeno peppers, but only if they are actually hot (it can be a toss-up sometimes). But in general we get whatever they have at the Indian store.

Thanks! I will try out the serranos... you are right sometimes jalapenos are like bell peppers.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

I'm trying to introduce my son to Indian food. A few weeks ago I made chicken Korma, jeera, curried cauliflower and a mango/yogurt dessert w/ saffron. It turned out really well. I wanted spicier chicken but decided on making korma b/c of kiddo. Next I think I'll try butter chicken.

I had the pleasure of being treated to an Indian meal by my parents friends. (vegetarian) The food was wonderful, it was great to taste home cooked food rather than the buffet I go to locally. The lovely lady who cooked for us said that where she is from they eat dessert first. : )

The green chilli thing... honestly, I just couldn't find a substitute. Which is a pain because the local indian store was a bit out of my way. You can easily find them at any Indian store or even most Arabic stores but not most typical grocery stores.

The good news however is that in most Indo-Pak dishes, they're nearly optional and can easily be skipped. But it does give the dish a nice flavor if you have it.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    and now I'm hungry...
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I just drooled all over myself.

I LOVE Indian food.
  • fatt_boyy_slimm
    Options
    *bump*
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Interesting to see the typical Indian food served in the US. I have quite a few Indian friends who always cook at home and they never cook curry or naan or have meat.

I guess it's the same as Chinese food where "Chinese" in American restaurants is completely different from the actual food served in China.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Good post! Its so weird that Indian food has gotten popular - like 10 years ago my friends would be like gross what are you eating, now people can't get enough! The Indian/Pakistani thing isn't an issue here - I always just make sure to ask for the food desi style, but they know that by looking at me anyway, so I never get bland food thankfully :)

You are right, no jalapenos! If you have an Indian grocery store they always have them, they're just called green chiles. You can get them in some of the better supermarkets too but they usually don't have as much heat as the Indian store ones.
    Interesting to see the typical Indian food served in the US. I have quite a few Indian friends who always cook at home and they never cook curry or naan or have meat.

Weird...I'm Indian and my parents do make naans like once a week maybe (usualyl its roti or rice), but we have meat all the time!! And we have "curry" like daily - but curry to Indians just means a dish with gravy (so its just not a dry dish), but we don't ever use curry powder, if thats what you mean? The Indian food in restaurants is a lot of the same stuff my family eats regularly - its just a heavier/more calorie-loaded version, just like any other restaurant food.
  • Tw1zzler
    Options

I'm trying to introduce my son to Indian food. A few weeks ago I made chicken Korma, jeera, curried cauliflower and a mango/yogurt dessert w/ saffron. It turned out really well. I wanted spicier chicken but decided on making korma b/c of kiddo. Next I think I'll try butter chicken.

I had the pleasure of being treated to an Indian meal by my parents friends. (vegetarian) The food was wonderful, it was great to taste home cooked food rather than the buffet I go to locally. The lovely lady who cooked for us said that where she is from they eat dessert first. : )

The green chilli thing... honestly, I just couldn't find a substitute. Which is a pain because the local indian store was a bit out of my way. You can easily find them at any Indian store or even most Arabic stores but not most typical grocery stores.

The good news however is that in most Indo-Pak dishes, they're nearly optional and can easily be skipped. But it does give the dish a nice flavor if you have it.

Thanks! I will definitely stop in the Indian grocery next time I'm in that part of town. = )
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

I guess it's the same as Chinese food where "Chinese" in American restaurants is completely different from the actual food served in China.

Your friends cook indian but don't cook curry? Well... then what do they cook? Naan I agree is not often eaten at homes and is more of a restaurant thing. but you gotta have curry man. Its like THE dish to eat for Indo-Pak.

And I wouldn't be so sure to go as far as comparing to Chinese restaurants. While Chinese foods are bastardized beyond recognition in US, Indo-Pak restaurants have maintained the integrity a fair bit with the exception of toning down the spices to accommodate to more non-Asians appetite.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Your friends cook indian but don't cook curry? Well... then what do they cook? Naan I agree is not often eaten at homes and is more of a restaurant thing. but you gotta have curry man. Its like THE dish to eat for Indo-Pak.

I think its the confusion over what "curry" is - I know a lot of non-desis just refer to all Indian food is "curry" but I'm not sure what it means here, food with curry powder? Idk.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I love you/hate you.

I was talking to a woman who is Indian at my work- and we were talking about going to an Indian place on one of our outings- but she kept complaining bitterly that it wasn't Indian food- it was all made with heavy cream.

I kept asking her for other options and where she would want to go instead but she had no answers. I was very sad to on both accounts- I hadn't considered the heavy cream bit (I never make it past 2 lite plates anyway) but still.. it wasn't something I really thought about.

AND I wanted to know of OTHER options- she didn't have any for me.

But thank you- looks delicious!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    *drools*

HI Taunto

:flowerforyou: