Trying To Take Things More Seriously

Options
Hi everyone! Figured I would introduce myself, maybe if I am more involved in a community, it might help motivate me, lol!

Anyways, my name is Marissa and I have been trying to lose weight for a long time now after gaining all the weight I lost 10+ years ago back and more. I'm the heaviest I have ever been and boy do I ever feel it... My cholesterol wasn't looking so good and even my husband now is at risk for diabetes. I can't even look at myself in the mirror or enjoy taking pictures anymore!

So it's time to take this more seriously and get into better shape!

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,550 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Hi @BunnyRissa

Welcome to MFP!

My personal experience has been that reading the boards and becoming involved has been very, very helpful in propelling my weight loss along.

There’s been no sniffy snooty answers to any question I’ve asked, no matter how dumb or ignorant it sounded. In fact, turns out other people often wanted to know, too, but were too embarrassed to ask.

I’ve also learned so much about my body, my digestion, my weight, how my weight changes or reacts to certain things (stress, travel, soreness) by reading here regularly.

I’ve learned that many things are bogus (drinking apple cider vinegar, “detoxes”) and many have little or no effect on weight loss (not eating before bedtime).

I’ve found new foods, new ways to use old foods, great snack ideas, etc.

There’s a definite correlation between successful loss (and maintenance) and participation.

Unfortunately, too few people take advantage of the boards. Their loss. (And I don’t mean weight, lol.)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,550 Member
    Options
    PS: regarding your husband …..don’t push or cajole. It took three years for mine to join me. It had to be his decision.

He’s been here for almost year now, and although he doesn’t care about weigh in, has lost enough weight that he’s down a size, and is off all diabetes meds. He’s gained muscle, and he’s way more energetic. Not bad for 67!

The best way we can lead is by example.