Kale & Chicken Soup

BunnyRissa
BunnyRissa Posts: 3 Member
kplzkz12b4z5.jpg

So we have a bearded dragon that we buy vegetables for, and I want to try and find uses for the large amount of leftover he doesn't eat, since he's just one small lizard, lol!

This week we bought kale, and I'll be honest, I've never had kale before! But I knew it could be used in soup, so I made an experimental soup last night with ingredients I had leftover in the fridge and it turned out awesome!
  • Kale
  • Onion
  • Green Onion
  • Ground Extra Lean Chicken
  • Brown Rice
  • Chicken Bouillon Cube
  • Chicken Bouillon Concentrate
  • Garlic
  1. I chopped the onion, put olive oil, salt and pepper in a large pot and cooked the onions until they browned, about 10 - 15 minutes.
  2. Cooked the rice and ground chicken separately, adding the green onions to the ground chicken for the last minute or so.
  3. Chop the kale up and add to pot with onions, add garlic and stir to coat the kale.
  4. Fill the pot with water and add the rice and chicken.
  5. Bring to a boil, then add 1 bouillon cube and bouillon concentrate to taste. Salt and pepper.
  6. Once boiling, lower the heat to medium and wait until kale is to the texture of your liking.
  7. I served topped with a little bit of parmesan cheese!

Replies

• skellyc74
    skellyc74 Posts: 30 Member
    Umm, lovely. I love kale. It's great in a Stirfry as well. I will definitely give your soup a go when the weather turns cooler here.
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 225 Member
    edited August 2022
    Hey -- looks great. Kale is awesome!. I grow a load of it so have masses of it on hand all the time. Soups is where I like it best but you can braise down a big pile of it at once and have it as a cooked side vegetable or use that cooked down product in a quiche, oven bake or casserole. I saute an onion and then drop in a huge pile of chopped kale and cook it down with a little chicken stock for about 35 minutes until it's tender and not too wet. Stir fried with garlic and oyster sauce is also very nice!