Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Options
cameomag
cameomag Posts: 7 Member
My cholesterol and triglycerides have been steadily going up and are now in the "RED" zone and I have to fix that. I am assuming it is alcohol more than food, but regardless, I need to get back on track. Am working on a 1200 calorie program - which doesn't leave much room for wine! However, I will persevere!
Tagged:

Replies

• cameomag
    Options
    I need a motivator - maybe a new workout outfit! I am guessing a glass of wine is counterproductive!
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    A new workout outfit is always motivating for me. Go for it!
    I am sure others will chime in to suggest that you not cut calories too sharply or quickly if you want your weight loss to be sustainable.
    I generally wouldn't suggest cutting out things you find pleasure in - including wine, so long as it doesn’t exceed healthy limits for women, however what is deemed healthy is under more question these days, and you raised the issue of escalating cholesterol & triglyceride numbers “in the RED zone” which you say are likely due to alcohol consumption not food. So …
    If you are looking for support and motivation in reducing or quitting drinking there are two active threads worth looking at - a less alcohol thread and a sobriety matters thread that you can find regularly active on the recent discussions board. Both have useful advice and very supportive participants.
    You are correct btw that alcohol and high cholesterol & triglycerides levels are linked. Alcohol is broken down in your liver and turned into cholesterol & triglycerides. People who drink a lot of alcohol tend to have high cholesterol and triglycerides. Those in turn lead to increased risk of diabetes, pancreatitis and stroke among other health risks like cirrhosis and heart disease.
    https://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/result
    https://health.clevelandclinic.org/does-alcohol-affect-cholesterol/
    https://www.healthgrades.com/right-care/cholesterol/how-does-alcohol-affect-triglyceride-levels
    Good luck with your weight loss, and if you decide to moderate or stop drinking with that too. Both are worth it!
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    ^this

Absolutely.

Cutting/reducing alcohol intake will do nothing but positive things for you, but there are healthy limits if you value your wine. You do not need to give up everything you love or enjoy.

You did not say your height or weight, and unless you are a tiny woman already 1200 is likely to start you down a road of binge/restrict cycling.

I’m glad you are here. MFP works! You can absolutely do this.

• cameomag
    Options
    I am 5' 2" and 141 lbs - I know that is not earth shattering - and we all start a program like this for our own reasons. My reasons are health, health and health. I need to get rid of 15 pounds - not to be skinny, but to be where I should be. My clothes tell me all I need to know about my weight, I just want to be able to move easier, walk faster and lift my grandkids easily.
  • TonyNeedstolooseweight
    Options
    I got stuck in a beanbag chair
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Started with vanity, honestly - I want to look good, and want to feel confident in a bathing suit. From there I've become somewhat obsessed with health and longevity, and now equally as important (I'm still quite vain, I own it!) is living a long, healthy, fulfilling life, and leading by example as far as healthy living goes for my daughters.
  • TonyNeedstolooseweight
    Options
    I got stuck in a beanbag chair and couldn't get up :D
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    Most of us know exactly where we're at, by our clothes. If the jeans still fit, you must acquit. If they don't, you won't.
  • 9bhtn65nzj
    9bhtn65nzj Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The tipping point was being fat shamed by a friend of my husband who we had invited over for a bbq. I already knew I was the highest weight of my life, that my clothes didn’t fit at all or were super tight. I decided that night, that not only was I’m going to start to lose the weight from the next day, but I was going to do so well to stick it to all the haters. I’m currently 24 lbs down with another 6 to go to my goal weight.